Tsukihime

Need ideas for target scopes

I've written the base for a new script called "Scope Manager" which provides some convenient functions for target related functionality, a simple way to add new scopes, and of course should provide a bunch of built-in scopes.

The script provides conditional targeting, which allows you to attach conditions to skills/items which will determine which targets are available to choose. Conditions will be specified as a formula (ruby statement), and will have the following variables available

a - attacker
b - defender (this is evaluated for each battler in the target troop)
f - friends unit
o - opponent unit
v - game variables
s - game switches
The script comes with an add-on that provides "target filtering" functionality, which extends the target windows (actor/enemy) to only draw battlers that can be targeted.

List some scopes that would be useful or cool.

Edited by Tsukihime

Yanfly's Target Manager covers the scope part (and I've taken a couple scope ideas from there..like all of it). There's also the old FP Target Scopes which has some scope ideas.

Was there anything in particular that you were looking for?

Edited by Tsukihime

Hmm, I think it was randomly target a friend or foe (pick 1 random target from all combatants.)

Sounds good.

It's also a lot easier than "pick one battler out of all enemies/actors"

Some other scope ideas I've had include area-of-effect scopes.

At some point I would also like to implement front-row/back-row and other formation-based scripts, which will add additional scopes to the game using the scope manager.

Edited by Tsukihime

I recall seeing people asking to be able to only target certain actors or classes with abilities/items.

Also maybe a skill can only select a target from enemies/allies that have a certain state.

Those will be handled by the conditional targeting system.

For example, to only be able to target battlers with certain state, you would attach a scope condition like:

b.has_state?(37)
This will filter the list of targets to only targets with state 37 applied.

Because I don't want to treat the default scopes separately from the new scopes, you must specify all Scope Manager-related stuff using notetags.

So if you want to target all allies, but restricted to certain members with a certain string in the name, you would have to say

<scope: 8 "b.name =~ /string/i">
Where 8, from the help docs, is "all allies" Edited by Tsukihime

1) All allies with a certain equipment equipped.

2) Level/stat based expressions (level/5, ATK/20, HP>250, etc.)

3) You already covered characters with certain states (all allies who are dead, etc.).

4) All allies, all enemies, all characters with an elemental resistance or weakness (target all enemies weak to fire or strong to lightning).

5) All enemies of a certain type (if a type is given in notetags, etc.)

6) The number of targets affected is based on a variable, for random/nonrandom allies/enemies/characters

7) Effects enemies if switch is off, allies and enemies if switch is on (or vice versa) or allies on, enemies off, etc.

8) Targets allies with one effect, enemies with another, with the same skill (kamikaze sacrifice that attacks enemies and heals all other party members and kills the user)

Just some ideas.  Some might be stupid or hard to script.

More scope options, I like it! The standard scope option in Ace is really limited :mellow:

If you include the same functions as "Yanfly's - Area of Effect" and make it so the skill animation is shown only once and targeted enemies are hit all at the same time, I'll be happy :)

@ekomega, all of them can be done using scope conditions, except the ones where both actors and enemies are involved at the same time. But I will use those as examples to demonstrate the power of scope conditions.

Animations are not something I will be touching so can't say whether that will happen or not.

Anyone remember the Lufia games from the SNES/ Super Famicom days?

In that game there was a healing item called a Miracle (I think) that could heal all party members HP and MP and status, regardless of whether they were unconscious or not.  I want to make a similar item in my game, but I've yet to find a script for items that can target an actor for healing regardless of death state.  So how about adding that in?

PS.  I know this can be done via common events (which I am using until I can find a workaround), but I have a damage pop up script, and having the numbers pop up for living characters and not dead ones is a bit off putting to me.

Edit: Sorry, my comment wasn't a correct helpful choice for the previous poster, so sorry!

Edited by Caveras