kayden997

Very Extra Basic Tutorial - Videos to VX Ace! (Imported from RRR)

My original topic on RRR: http://www.rpgrevolu...showtopic=55305

Introduction

Yes, since the time of RPG Maker 2003 (not sure about 2k), they removed that little function that some developers wanted: videos. But now we can forget about that since Ace has it now!

In VX Ace, they require a format called: .ogv, which is basically a compressed video with .ogg sound format. Pretty sick.

Although most don't know how to convert to this format, I do!

Thing you will need:

• VLC Video Player
  • A Video
  • VX Ace Demo/Full

VLC is free! Download now!

Part 1: Converting process

When you are ready, go ahead and open VLC.

Next, open VLC and go to streaming...

tu1m.png

Add your file and continue on.

Just press next on the next few parts instead of stream.

tu2h.png

On the next step, select "Theora + Vorbis" then click on the Tools icon to the right.

tu3rk.png

Go to the "Video Codec" tab, and change the width to 544 and the height to 416

tu4.png

Press ok, and click the "add" button above.

tu5.png

This next part is typically tricky and sometimes is annoying. There's a problem with the VLC streaming if you choose the location of the video.

So, instead just type in the Filename: [name for video].ogv

tu6s.png

Press next, then press stream.

The file, after streamed, will most likely be found in C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC or your Downloads folder.

Now, since the file format was .ogg in the conversion process, we need to change that by changing the extension to .ogv

tu7.pngtu8.png

If you don't see the extensions, take a quick look at my sub-tutorial:

First of all, go to control panel and select "Folder Options."

su1i.png

Click the "View" tab, and un-check the "Hide extensions..."

su2.png

Click ok afterwards

Part 2: Import and Test

Go to resource manager, and select the "Movies" section.

Import the video from that location or if you moved it, the other location.

After, create an event to test out your video.

ter1.png

And voil�, a video (Note that the back box on the sides of my video were like that in the original).

ter2.png

No that's no me, that my friend

And that concludes this tutorial.

Edited by kayden997

I noticed no replies were made to this. I actually found an issue with this method through my personal experience. I rendered my own movies in 3d Studio Max and used the method described since no .ogg or .ogv options are available when rendering. I rendered out a full uncompressed .avi and loaded it in VLC Media Player and it worked fine but then I made some changes and re-rendered it, this time including sound. The stream went fine in VLC Media Player however when I imported it into Ace and tested it, it required me to click outside of the game then click back into the game for it to play. My theory is there is a problem with exporting it with sound.

I did find a new method for conversion, however it doesn't include the ability to change the resolution. I think an easy way to rectify this if you lack video editing software and you absolutely want to use a certain video despite its originality, you could use this VLC method and then just convert it using Miro Video Converter. It seems to allow for any video file though I have not tested it. I'll include the link at the bottom of this post. It's totally free and from what I can tell doesn't include any toolbars or anything lame like that that most freeware tries to throw onto you to make a little money.

http://www.mirovideoconverter.com/

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I'm not sure if it is just me or not but the software says that you can click and drag video files into the window to convert it but I didn't have luck with that and I just have to click "choose a file" and find the video through the open dialog but other than that, it is very straight forward, hard to mess anything up cuz there are no options except to choose the file then convert it into a bunch of different formats (Theora being the one I used based on the info in this post)

Edited by Steven Wallace

I noticed no replies were made to this. I actually found an issue with this method through my personal experience. I rendered my own movies in 3d Studio Max and used the method described since no .ogg or .ogv options are available when rendering. I rendered out a full uncompressed .avi and loaded it in VLC Media Player and it worked fine but then I made some changes and re-rendered it, this time including sound. The stream went fine in VLC Media Player however when I imported it into Ace and tested it, it required me to click outside of the game then click back into the game for it to play. My theory is there is a problem with exporting it with sound.

I tested it out and had a similar problem, but after manually converting the sound of the video using Audacity to .ogg and using a video editing software like PowerDirector I was able to successfully use the VLC method to convert the video to .ogv. This may be more time consuming, but it worked.

However, Miro Video Convertor is also an excellent option even if you can't resize the resolution.

Edited by vom53

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.