Download BETA 1.05 (click)
Download BETA 1.04 (click)
Download BETA 1.03 (click)
Download BETA 1.02 (click)
Download BETA 1.01 (click)
Download BETA 1.00 (click)

Known Bugs for BETA 1.097:
None

Description: The RSS is a Blacksmithing system built from the ground up and inspired by Skyrim's blacksmithing system. Its easy and fun to use, but it does require a lot of setup. You'll be required to setup your Ores & Metals items, and your blacksmithing level tree (which is its own thing) and you'll also have to setup recipies for weapons and armors. 

Modified Default Classes:
(none, but some default classes have new methods added)

Legal Info: You can freely use this system in any free or commercial game. You must provide proper credit to the Author of this system (RSS). You may freely modify this script and release modifications. See The TERMS OF USE (included as documentation in the script section of the demo) for more details.

Instructions: In the future I'd like to write a guide (or perhaps do a video guide) showing how to use the system. In the meantime, you'll have to rely on the included documentation. There is a lot of included documentation with the system, its all found in the demos script section. The included documentation is enough to get you working with the RSS.

Screenshots (Updated BETA 1.07):

Screenshots from Beta 1.07:
6uwl59h.png

qw5DEeZ.png

FQvAfYX.png

vchrTYL.png

GlX7qS0.png

4X37aE7.png

MqOwOLa.png

wrkMh4J.png

JBaqS2T.png

DZd2bty.png

Old Screens from Beta 1.00:

anFs9ny.png
YGr5Xts.png
1fC32Iz.png
DulDhiy.png
6baegqz.png
9FeKIAW.png

BETA 1.097 UPDATE:  Streamlined epic awesome super cool edition
[MOD] * Removal of System Settings for Equipment Type vocabulary. This data is now loaded from your games Database.
[MOD] * Removal of System Settings for Weapon Type vocabulary. This data is now  loaded from your games Database.
[MOD] * Removal of System Settings for Armor Type vocabulary. This data is now loaded from your games Database.
[NEW] * Expanded counter settings. Now 1 variable for each smithing category, ores, weapons, armors and other. Also 1 global variable.
[MOD] * Lowered default feedback window display time to 1 second.

Older Version Changelogs:

BETA 1.09 UPDATE: - Smoking is bad for you edition
[FIX] * Fatal crash on smithing any items except ores. Bad copy/paste code done
in 1.08. This is what we call a 'gump'.
[NEW] * New feature to setup a counter. can assign to a game variable, and enable
or disable the counter for any type (ores, weapons, armors and items). Open the
settings and ctrl+f 'Settings for Smithing Counter' to access the settings.

BETA 1.08 UPDATE:  New fixes for old problems Kitkat edition.
[FIX] * Feedback is now properly handled. An old issue with key assignment has
been resolved. The Feedback hash can now retain a potentially infinite amount
of pending messages.
[NEW] * 2 new settings related to feedback. Forced feedback specifically. The
first setting enables the option. The second setting is the buffer, which is the
amount of feedback messages that must be waiting to display in order to trigger
forced feedback. This optional feature basically prevents the player from
inflating the amount of pending feedback messages into a massive size.
[MOD] New music for the demo. What? That counts as something.

BETA 1.07 UPDATE: A lucky number. If you believe in that crap.
[NEW] * Exp Progress Bar with a bunch of settings to accomodate it. These are
found in the Status Window settings area of the System Settings script.
[NEW] * Setting to enable or disable the drawing of the total exp value in the
status window
[NEW] Window_Base now has 8 new methods added to it with this script. Nothing
is overwritten or aliased. This new code can be found at the bottom of the
'[RSS]Datamanager/Coremods' script. Included is methods for custom line draws
and methods for gauge logic.
[MOD] * The included COLOR_BASE script has been updated with some new definitions
and it is highly recommended you include it among the scripts you update for your
install to your game.
[MOD] * The '[RSS]DM/S/Party/Title/Load' script is now renamed more properly to
'[RSS]Datamanager/Coremods'.

BETA 1.06 UPDATE: The breeze before the progress bars
[NEW] * Sound settings for smithing items. 1 sound per available category. Pitch
and volume settings available. A toggle setting enables or disables the sounds.
With added sounds disabled, smithing will instead use your equip item sound.
[FIX] * Massive spelling fixes system-wide for 'recipe' being spelled horribly.
Some settings & script commands were impacted by the spelling changes. New
settings & script commands have been put in with the old mistakes to keep compatibility
(they just forward the data to the proper method).

BETA 1.05 UPDATE: Getting ready for the overhaul!
[FIX] * If 'Show_Unknown_Item_Names' is set to false, icons for unknown items wont
draw on the screen.
[FIX] * Icons were sometimes broken due to bad case statements. Fixed.
[FIX] * Type select window now has a correct default size.
[FIX] * The Smithing Scene now properly backs out to the type select window if the
player cancels browsing the 'other' items category.
[NEW] * Cancel/Back options wont be drawn in item select windows if there are no
items available for the player to select.
[NEW] * New setting: Hide_Unknown_Recipies which will forcibly hide recipies from
being drawn to the item select window if the player doesn't know them. Note that
this makes other unknown recipies related options useless.
[MOD] * The item details window has been modified and resized to make more free
room available on the screen for other things... ;)
[MOD] Blacksmith stats window and item details windows are now both respectively
transparent by default.

BETA 1.04 UPDATE: Long time no see! I'm here with an update and looking for more suggestions.
- New category (by suggestion) for Miscellaneous Items. This category is optional and is enabled by default with a setting allowing you to enable or disable it.
- The new category also comes with a new command to add items to its separate recipe list. This new category was tricky as the system was not originally intended for it, but its working great now.
- Full documentation is included within the demo in the scripts section. All documentation has been updated to properly convey the change with the addition of a new category.
- Download is at the top of the main post as usual. I don't think the included screenshots do things much justice anymore, so I'll be bundling a few with the next version. Ramble, ramble ramble ramble.

BETA 1.03 UPDATE: Finally aliased the last methods in DataManager which was overwritten. Now the included DataManager is fully aliased, increasing compatibility with other scripts. The RSS will now also work with my quest system, (QSB).
Lots of updates in BETA 1.03. Open the spoiler below to see the rest.

BETA 1.03 Full Version Changelog:

- Finally figured out a way to alias the last overwritten DataManager
module method(self.make_save_contents)! The RSS DataManager must now always be
installed along with every RSS system in every game.
- Added feature suggestion: Changed Item Select Window so that it dims selectable 
items name and icon if the player does not have the required items to make that 
recipie. The window already functioned in this way when handling Ore selection,
it now functions this way when handling any item types.
- Added Question 7 & 8 to the DOC_FAQ.
- Updated DOC_INFO
- Added handling for gaining multiple levels if the player gains a huge amount
of Smithing Exp.
- Modified how the Item Select Window's height is calculated, and removed one of
the two 'height multipler' settings for the window as a result (made stuff work
easier).
- Modified System Setting: Windows: Smithing Item Info Window: 'IIWIN_TXTARRAY'
to be more user friendly with its setup.
- Changed all aliases to be more compatible with other games and scripts.
NEW SCRIPTS:
  [RSS] Game_Party
MODIFIED SCRIPTS:
  [RSS] DataManager + Title/Load
  [RSS] System Settings
  [RSS] Module Methods
  [RSS] Smithing Windows
- After adding/modifying all of that, I did some spring cleaning, combining
a few scripts into singles, to ease the install process of RSS a little.
SPRING CLEANING:
--------------------
NEW SCRIPT: [RSS]DM/S/Party/Title/Load
      Family: [RSS] DataManager + Title/Load
              [RSS] Smithing Data
              [RSS] Game_Party
--------------------
NEW SCRIPT: [RSS]Smithing Scene/Windows
      Family: [RSS] Smithing Scene
              [RSS] Smithing Windows
--------------------
NEW SCRIPT: [RSS] Level Tree / ORES
      Family: [RSS] Level/Exp Tree
              [RSS] Ores & Metals
--------------------

BETA 1.02 UPDATE: Item Icons yay! (Added item Icons and settings). Added hide item name if unknown setting.
BETA 1.01 UPDATE: Removed Maximum Level setting from the level tree & added handling to read the last level as the max level instead. Added control settings for the smithing scene background.

Future Version notes (things being worked on):
Optional Things (can be enabled or disabled):
- This post and everything about it (before progress bars)
- Optional progress bars with multiple ways to set time ranges from per item to item type or class or variable values
- Optional percent based chance to smith or fail smithing an item also with multiple ways of influencing the value
- Modification of confirm dialogue to be less intrusive
Mandatory Things (essential/core):
- Notetag support

Edited by Matt_Sully(Gump)

BETA 1.02 UPDATE: Item Icons yay! (Added item Icons and settings). Added hide item name if unknown setting.

When I try to use my self made smiting event (scripts are copied from the demo)I get this error:

Script '[RSS] Module Methods' line 291: NoMethodError occured.

undefined method `name' for nil:NilClass

It does work in your demo map, but it doesn't work on my self-made map. Please help.

You might want to cheek if the problem is caused by your notations maybe you could post up the recipe you made(I think the prob is you copied one he made and kept the same definer so the game does not understand how there are 2.)

As for Matt_Sully(Gump) you rule this a great idea and can add a lot to the game.

An idea you could use is darken the icons that have recopied you can not make caused by lack of ingredients or lv.

I got the answer! I didn't read the script correctly, I didn't remove the sample recipies, I feel stupid now...

Awesome script btw!

Always read the headers and becerful not to make twice the same line as it will cause problems.(it applies to the majority of scripts.)

Yup, always be careful and read comments etc. This system in particular does require a lot of setup.

As for Matt_Sully(Gump) you rule this a great idea and can add a lot to the game.

An idea you could use is darken the icons that have recopied you can not make caused by lack of ingredients or lv.

Thanks. As for the icons, yeah those should probably be set to darken with the text, I'll fix that up for the next release.

BETA 1.03 UPDATE: Finally aliased the last methods in DataManager which was overwritten. Now the included DataManager is fully aliased, increasing compatibility with other scripts. The RSS will now also work with my quest system, (QSB).

Lots of updates in BETA 1.03. Open the spoiler below to see the rest.

BETA 1.03 Full Version Changelog:

- Finally figured out a way to alias the last overwritten DataManager
module method(self.make_save_contents)! The RSS DataManager must now always be
installed along with every RSS system in every game.
- Added feature suggestion: Changed Item Select Window so that it dims selectable 
items name and icon if the player does not have the required items to make that 
recipie. The window already functioned in this way when handling Ore selection,
it now functions this way when handling any item types.
- Added Question 7 & 8 to the DOC_FAQ.
- Updated DOC_INFO
- Added handling for gaining multiple levels if the player gains a huge amount
of Smithing Exp.
- Modified how the Item Select Window's height is calculated, and removed one of
the two 'height multipler' settings for the window as a result (made stuff work
easier).
- Modified System Setting: Windows: Smithing Item Info Window: 'IIWIN_TXTARRAY'
to be more user friendly with its setup.
- Changed all aliases to be more compatible with other games and scripts.
NEW SCRIPTS:
  [RSS] Game_Party
MODIFIED SCRIPTS:
  [RSS] DataManager + Title/Load
  [RSS] System Settings
  [RSS] Module Methods
  [RSS] Smithing Windows
- After adding/modifying all of that, I did some spring cleaning, combining
a few scripts into singles, to ease the install process of RSS a little.
SPRING CLEANING:
--------------------
NEW SCRIPT: [RSS]DM/S/Party/Title/Load
      Family: [RSS] DataManager + Title/Load
              [RSS] Smithing Data
              [RSS] Game_Party
--------------------
NEW SCRIPT: [RSS]Smithing Scene/Windows
      Family: [RSS] Smithing Scene
              [RSS] Smithing Windows
--------------------
NEW SCRIPT: [RSS] Level Tree / ORES
      Family: [RSS] Level/Exp Tree
              [RSS] Ores & Metals
--------------------

Just a small update: I wanted to let you guys know that I have internet at home now, so the RSS (and my other scripts) will be getting more frequent updates. If you have a suggestion nows the time.

I've tried the first version of the script when it came out, but I haven't checked out the newest versions yet, mainly because my net is quite slow at the moment. Takes at least 30 minutes just to download a 4 mb file.

So I am not sure if these two things are implemented already, but maybe a little bar that fills up when you smith or craft an item or something.

Also maybe a way to have a item being able to craft several smaller items, like leather being crafted into 4 leather strips... things like that, if that is not already in the system.

I've tried the first version of the script when it came out, but I haven't checked out the newest versions yet, mainly because my net is quite slow at the moment. Takes at least 30 minutes just to download a 4 mb file.

So I am not sure if these two things are implemented already, but maybe a little bar that fills up when you smith or craft an item or something.

Also maybe a way to have a item being able to craft several smaller items, like leather being crafted into 4 leather strips... things like that, if that is not already in the system.

Good ideas. The progress bar I like (but it would be implemented as optional, with the current instant as the fallback).

Regarding crafting of those types of items - there is no specific added handling for crafting 'item' class items (those being nested in $data_items, your 'Items' tab in the database) aside from the basic handling for smithing ores, however I can easily add it as an additional type, a Miscellaneous category or something perhaps. Its a good idea. This could also be implemented as an optional feature (I think I would disable it by default).

Thanks a lot for the ideas :)

BETA 1.04 UPDATE: Long time no see! I'm here with an update and looking for more suggestions.

- New category (by suggestion) for Miscellaneous Items. This category is optional and is enabled by default with a setting allowing you to enable or disable it.

- The new category also comes with a new command to add items to its separate recipe list. This new category was tricky as the system was not originally intended for it, but its working great now.

- Full documentation is included within the demo in the scripts section. All documentation has been updated to properly convey the change with the addition of a new category.

- Download is at the top of the main post as usual. I don't think the included screenshots do things much justice anymore, so I'll be bundling a few with the next version. Ramble, ramble ramble ramble.

- Optional progress bars with multiple ways to set time ranges from per item to item type or class or variable values

- Optional percent based chance to smith or fail smithing an item also with multiple ways of influencing the value

- Notetag support

Most impressive script! Thanks alot!

Asuggestion, can you make it iconic too? So users can see what they are making without it having to be hard to reemember what a weapon look like?

Edited by Sereniama

Most impressive script! Thanks alot!

Asuggestion, can you make it iconic too? So users can see what they are making without it having to be hard to reemember what a weapon look like?

Thanks! Not sure what you mean. All items have icons in the system (the screenshots are outdated). If you mean optional icons for the base category selection, yes I will add that in.

OMG!! Like seriously.... What the hell.........

THIS IS GOD DAMN AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! x10,000,000

Thanks! :)

How about an Item window of the finished product or even before you make the item so you can have a look at artwork of a given item :)

I did originally intend to have an optional image be displayable for weapons and items you can create. I wanted it to be able to support large pictures like you see in skyrim during blacksmithing. Unfortunately, due to lack of available screen space the feature was never fully implemented. I do have the placeholder code though, and could get it running. I felt it would require too much additional work on the end of the developer to be a feature people would want to use. My intent was again to use large images like you see in skyrim but due to lack of available screen space it just didn't work out.

If you have an idea on how we could implement it better or to your satisfaction I'm totally open to doing that. Be as descriptive as you can and maybe use screenshots to help visualize what you're thinking about.

The only way I could see it working with large artsy images is if the image has a low Z setting, putting it behind all other windows.

I'll start by saying, quite simply: Yes. Everything you just posted I completely agree with and I am now working on it. That includes the suggestion at the end. Feels like an oversight on my part, given the system is Skyrim inspired. I'll be adding "Type" based browsing as an option enabled by default.

That being said, I'd like to just note that the currently over sized window was initially done so for testing purposes, then when the idea of adding a large content picture was scratched the size was kept to influence the addition of more information or something. But I couldn't think of anything. So I left it alone.

Thanks a lot for the awesome explanation and suggestion :). The system should feel a lot less clunky in the coming version. I'm also going to play with the default opacity of some of the windows. I was thinking stats and item details could go transparent, with only the popup feedback that displays exp gained after smithing being a visible window. Of course, all these windows opacity settings are already exposed for developers to use easily in the script.

I'll start by saying, quite simply: Yes. Everything you just posted I completely agree with and I am now working on it. That includes the suggestion at the end. Feels like an oversight on my part, given the system is Skyrim inspired. I'll be adding "Type" based browsing as an option enabled by default.

That being said, I'd like to just note that the currently over sized window was initially done so for testing purposes, then when the idea of adding a large content picture was scratched the size was kept to influence the addition of more information or something. But I couldn't think of anything. So I left it alone.

Thanks a lot for the awesome explanation and suggestion :). The system should feel a lot less clunky in the coming version. I'm also going to play with the default opacity of some of the windows. I was thinking stats and item details could go transparent, with only the popup feedback that displays exp gained after smithing being a visible window. Of course, all these windows opacity settings are already exposed for developers to use easily in the script.

I was also wondering seems every crafting based skyrim system (in the game itself not in rpg maker games) is almost inspired by the same sort of layout and menu styled browsing so I was wondering if it's possible to change it around and make an alchemy and enchanting style system too?

(can't remember if there were any other crafting based system's in skyrim :s I don't have it anymore so I couldn't check lol, I know there was the one where you got to build houses in Hearthfire DLC that would be quite nifty tbh :P

Not by you specifically, I mean I could do it probably once I learn some more about RGSS3 but your "collection" of script's would be the base component (oh btw I love your coding style it is extremely neat and efficient and very well vested with a multitude of information :P)

As for editing the opacity and everything all power to you it is very easy to edit already, As for transparency etc. yes I would make item info and stats transparent as it's the only part that massively sticks out when compared to the rest of the script (as nothing is in a window, Which I love btw certainly decreases the clutter issue) and yes keep the smithed item popup the only visible window (as well as the confirmation maybe unless you have that planted at the bottom of the screen in the center so when you select an item to craft all the information is iraft this n front of you but the cursor has automatically moved to the: Smith this Weapon/Armor or Craft this Item or Make this Poultice (A ancient medicine storage option). 

a number 

EDIT:- Another possible addition could be a bar showing you exp rather than just number, If you remember in a skyrim there was no number's displayed for "smithing exp" just a bar that gradually filled up (unless you consistently built a million iron daggers to grind to level 100 lol) but you could expand on that display and have the bar that gradually fills up and a text display showing that you have earned x value current/y value needed. Look at this image for an example:

7157.png

P.S Recipies is also mispelt :) it is spelled Recipes or Recipe :) 

P.S check out my smithing exp table and tell me what you think please: http://goo.gl/AH4kth

Edited by FleshRenderStudios

Reading your post now I'll edit and weigh in after. I got a quick version update I'm pushing out, includes some preparation steps for the image feature thats coming.

BETA 1.05 UPDATE: Getting ready for the overhaul!
[FIX] * If 'Show_Unknown_Item_Names' is set to false, icons for unknown items wont
draw on the screen.
[FIX] * Icons were sometimes broken due to bad case statements. Fixed.
[FIX] * Type select window now has a correct default size.
[FIX] * The Smithing Scene now properly backs out to the type select window if the
player cancels browsing the 'other' items category.
[NEW] * Cancel/Back options wont be drawn in item select windows if there are no
items available for the player to select.
[NEW] * New setting: Hide_Unknown_Recipies which will forcibly hide recipies from
being drawn to the item select window if the player doesn't know them. Note that
this makes other unknown recipies related options useless.
[MOD] * The item details window has been modified and resized to make more free
room available on the screen for other things... ;)
[MOD] Blacksmith stats window and item details windows are now both respectively
transparent by default.

- This post and everything about it (before progress bars)
- Optional percent based progress bar for exp in blacksmith status window
- modification of confirm dialogue to be less intrusive
- Notetag support
- Attempt to fix over time all the mis-spellings of "Recipe" at least outside of the code (too many "recipies" in the code now...)

Edit: In response to your last post, I have updated the future version notes. Yes, there is has a good backend to the script and it could be changed around to appear to the player as an alchemy system or any type of system that would use the same sort of scene. You wouldn't want to have to deal with changing around all the references in code to blacksmithing and the like, variables and so on. That could get messy. But yes, the core you need is there and you could really label it as anything you want. So long as it utilizes recipes for any reason it should be an ideal system. Thanks for your kind words about my coding. I'm still learning so that's really nice to hear. :)