Galv

Fishing Mini Game

Fishing Mini Game - Version 1.4
Galv

Introduction
I'm a big fan of Breath of Fire 2 and had evented a similar fishing system for Pirate Rush. This is the next step into script form.

Features
This script adds a fishing mini game with many options to customise each fishing experience.
- Customise a range of fish attributes to change how they behave such as bait they eat, speed, difficulty to reel in (and more)
- Customise each fishing spot's backgrounds and music
- Add specific fish or objects or randomise them for each fishing spot. Use eventing to add quest items.

Screenshot
fishing1_zpsd4aef62c.jpgfishing2_zpsd674020a.jpgfishing-stats_zps5d3f29c1.jpg

HOW TO PLAY
The player choose which rod and bait to equip, each having a different affect. Once equipped, the player casts his line into the water and must try to reel the line in to get the bait close enough to a fish to take it. The action key or right arrow will reel the line in.
Once a fish has the bait, the player must reel it in, but be careful to not reel in while the fish is pulling to the left, else the line strength will weaken and eventually break.

Rods
The rod strength of an item detemines how much strain the line can take before it breaks. Also, the higher the rod strength is above a fish's 'pull' will increase the speed the fish is reeled in. If a fish has more pull than
a rod's strength, it will break the line much quicker than normal. (So you can set it up for the player to need better rods to catch the good fish).

Bait
Baits have 2 attributes - type and weight. Fish can be set up to only eat cetain types of bait. Weight determines how fast the bait sinks in the water.

Fish
Fish can be set up with a bunch of options (see script for info). These options allow you to create "fish" that aren't fish. For example, you could make a rock that the bait could snag on or a treasure chest you can pull up (these are in the demo as examples).

How to Use
1. Download the demo
2. Copy the script from the demo to your project under Materials and above Main.
2. Copy the /Graphics/GFish/ folder from the demo into your project
3. Read script instructions and settings to learn how to use it.

Script
Get it here
(Demo link is at the top of the script page)

Author's Notes
You'll notice that the RTP doesn't come with many useful fishing icons (to use for rods and baits), and there's not a whole lot of fish for you to use included in the demo - you'll need to source or make your own resources to use.

This script is not free for commercial use. Graphics are RTP and fish made by Matt Beer.
Please PM me if you would like to use this in a commercial game.

Credit and Thanks
- Galv
- Matt Beer (Created the fish sprite)

Updates
2013-04-22 - Version 1.4 - Added fishing stats scene and more script calls to use in control variables for eventing with fishing data.
2013-04-22 - Version 1.3 - Bug fix when equipping rods when you have other equip items in inventory.
2013-04-22 - Version 1.2 - Didn't realise the fish caught window was closing as soon as it was caught when reeling in with the accept key! Fixed that.
2013-04-21 - Version 1.1 - Bug fix with disposing background graphics, updated catch fix message and added some more options. Updated demo to include examples of changes.
2013-04-20 - Version 1.0 - Release Edited by Galv

Fishing.. You gave me a good idea for fishing for garbage and stuff, so that people will fish for items that fill up their inventory, so they can throw it away later :P.

Edited by Pikalyze

I thought I would update this now due to a graphical bug and I have also added a few extra options and other changes. (Demo includes examples of what was added so far).

I still have plans on adding a scene where the player can view their stats and I just realised I left out some handy script calls like counting total of fish caught - they will be coming in the future. Please let me know if you find any bugs

oh my god. so beautiful :D. i love breath of fire fishing :D. it's the best among PSX fishing system (of course not counting REAL fishing games LOL. only RPG one). four thumbs up four our pirate king :D.

some suggestion. maybe change the "hold z - reel" in information in the form of image would be better.

since i think it will make the scene look beautiful.

the icon for fish rod, bait look wonderful (Matt Beer created that too?). so the bland text of ACE kinda lower the beauty a little bit :D.

Thanks - Matt did the fish, I did the rest (using RTP). Someone can edit the HUD image to add nicer controls and remove the text (in the settings). I originally had done that but as it was part of the one image, it didn't align with change of screen size so I just left it as text and too lazy to make it a separate image haha.

Think of it as encouragement to DIY. I provide the script, I encourage you to make it look unique and create your own resources for it :)

We're you planning on making a stress meter or making stress a variable to use in variable bars?

Oh, and common events end the fishing game. Is there a way to make it so that doesn't happen? It's not too important, just, if you wanted to have a common event so it'd add the caught fish to the inventory and continue fishing.

Edited by Audrey

I thought about a meter but decided to not add one. No fishing rod I ever used had a meter to tell me when it was gonna break :P

EDIT: Also, I didn't notice but the fish window closed instantly when using the action key to reel in... I fixed that. (Right arrow works, too, I use that instead to test).

Also, I added nicer control graphics to the HUD image in the latest demo (For estriole :P). No functionality was changed for that.

Edited by Galv

Heh, I just found another bug... oops! I was planning to allow equip items as rods but then the whole "you lose an item when you equip it" made me decide against it.

So I just fixed another that crashed it when you have equip items in inventory... Having a run of dumb mistakes lately heh

I downloaded the demo, but when I tried to talk to the red dude (I haven't caught any fish so far, that's the case I think), I got this error:

EDIT : I caught two purple fishes but still got the same error when talking to the red dude.

2GMscUy.png

Edited by Kyuunei

Hopefully... hopefully I got all the bugs out now... and that NPC is fixed in the latest demo updated to include the statistics scene.

Sorry about that.

You could do it with the supplied script calls and eventing.

- Set a variable (eg. variable 1) to the total number of fish player has already caught

- add the fish you want to the pond (easiest way is to use add_fish and add a set amount)

- Add to variable 1: a number equal to the amount of fish you added to the pond.

- Start fishing scene

- Set a new variable (eg. variable 2) to the total number of fish a player has caught. (which will be different now as the player caught more fish)

- Use a conditional branch... if variable 1 is equal to variable 2... then they caught all the fish in the pond.

The system is really good, but I would add also:

• Fish AI: Instead of grab them with the bait simply by touching them, the fish swims around the bait (if is the adequate bait) and grabs it if you move a bit the bait or you just do nothing (determined by the fish AI). If when the fish grabs the bait you don't move the rod, the fish runs away with the bait and returns to his last position or just disappear and appears again after a certain amount of time (for give you a better idea, kinda like Legend of Zelda OOT/MM/TP).
  • Display an Stress Meter: Says the pression you are doing on the reel, if you stretch too much or too low, the meter starts warning you with a red glow, orange if you are about to, or green if you are safe (the meter is around the middle).
  • Music changes: If you are catching a fish, the music changes to another, memorizing the previous one, then if you fails or have sucess in the catch, stops the BGM and plays an win/lose ME, and then, when you closes the information window, the field bgm restarts in the memorized time.

Would it be difficult to add a feature to run a common event on the capturing of certain fish? I had the idea of having a sea monster or something in the water that if you catch it it will begin a battle (started up by the common event, maybe... or through a call in the script itself? I don't know which would be easier to be added...)

Just wondering, this script is very cool and I'd like to use it :)

Oh! So there is! I had the 1.0 demo that I had downloaded earlier from your page, and I hadn't notice that 1.4 was out with new features. Very cool, thank you! I'm going to go play around with this right now!

Any ideas to why I would get this message?

galvfisherror_by_humanninja-d6awqss.png

I pretty much copy and pasted the script into my project. The only parts I changed were item id's and stuff like that so the bait, rod, and fish would match up.