Gambit Achievement GUI

Current Version: 1.11

Introduction:

A couple weeks ago, I was looking for a script that behaved similar to the badges in Pokémon games. Basically, when you earn a badge by defeating a gym leader, the image of the badge is added to your trainer card. I thought this would be a good system for allowing my players to keep track of their achievements. I looked for such a script and could not find a graphical one where achievements are represented by images, rather than just text, for RPG Maker Ace. So, I decided to create one.

This is my first script release. I learned so much writing this script and I obviously still have a lot more to learn. I fixed all of the issues I have encountered. Please let me know if you notice anything else. The description bubbles are likely to be the least efficiently coded part of the script. I had originally not wanted descriptions since the titles would be descriptive enough and Pokémon got by without anything other than the images of the badges. I decided, however, to add the option for descriptions but I did want to maintain the ability to continue navigating through the badges while reading descriptions so I did not want to create a large description screen that comes up when selecting a badge. Thus, I came up with description bubbles. These proved rather difficult to say the least. I probably should have gone with a row type description window that covers up one of the other rows of badges and presents the description information there. Anyway, the script as it was originally envisioned is with the description bubbles disabled. In this mode, customization will be optimal. If you leave the description bubbles enabled, please use the 640 x 480 game resolution and stick to either 4 rows of 4 badges or 5 rows of 5 badges at once for minimum mistakes. If you disable description bubbles, feel free to customize as you wish. The Achievements screen was originally meant for 2 or 3 rows of 4 or 5 badges without the bubbles enabled at a 640 x 480 game resolution. This looks best in my opinion as the badges do not overlap. The code should be flexible enough to adjust to your wishes without the description bubbles.

Please read the Instructions and Setup within the header of the script. All necessary information is there.

Description:
This script creates an aesthetically-pleasing and customizable achievements interface that is powered by the CSCA Achievement System. Each achievement will be associated with a badge rather than simple text. This badge can either be specific to the achievement or general to all achievements without a badge specified. This script was inspired by the badges in Pokemon games.

Features:
Banner graphic that appears live when a player earns an achievement
  • Banner is dynamic and will feature the specific badge of the earned achievement, congratulatory text, and the title and reward (if any) of the earned achievement.
  • If several achievements are earned simultaneously, banners will queue and continue displaying until all are shown. If banners are interrupted, any earned achievements that have not been shown will automatically continue displaying when appropriate (e.g. upon finishing a battle, exiting a menu, etc.)

Achievements screen that displays the available badges
  • Image of choice may serve as the background for the screen
  • Locked badges will either appear as a generic locked image or with a lock superimposed on a greyed-out version of the actual badge image
  • Unlocked badges can each have a specific image. If not specified for certain badges, a generic image will be used.
  • BGM can be played upon opening the Achievements screen
  • The amount of badges in each row and the number of rows of badges that are displayed at once can be customized. The script will calculate and position the badges accordingly.
  • Expected system sound effects are associated with all actions on the Achievements screen.
  • Animated cursor is used to navigate the badges.
  • Achievement title changes and corresponds to the highlighted badge
  • Intuitive controls (holding a directional button will continuously move in that direction, pushing down and up will skip to the next row, the cursor will jump to the first/last achievement when you reach the beginning/end, navigation loops so going back from the beginning will allow you to jump to the last badge and vice versa)
  • Selecting an achievement will open a description bubble which will display a one-line (aim for a maximum of 5 words) description, a progress bar, and the reward (if any). This is powered by, and configured in, the CSCA Achievements script. This bubble allows the player to continue navigating through the badges as it moves and updates with the current selection. Canceling will erase the bubble.
  • Animated arrows will indicate whether additional badges are located below or above the current view.
  • The bottom of the screen displays a summary of the totals with an optional percentage calculation. This is in addition to the score option in the CSCA Achievements script.
  • Ability to change font of achievement titles, description bubbles, and the dynamic parts of the achievement banner
  • Ability to customize all images used by the script
  • Ability to change game resolution to 640 x 480 as recommended. You will need to use custom images if using a different resolution. At minimum, the background will need to be changed.

Ability to add Achievements option to menu

Ability to store total achievement score in a game variable

Required Scripts:

CSCA Core Script and CSCA Achievements

Screenshots:

Upon earning an achievement, the initial achievement banner. The text here is static (part of image). The badge is dynamic. The badge associated with the earned achievement will be displayed.

YxaZVaC.jpg

The first banner will transition into this dynamic one featuring the badge, title, and reward (if any) associated with the earned achievement.

6GyvWMd.jpg

The Achievements screen with all achievements still locked.

scCJJ0g.jpg

The description bubble of a locked achievement.

m8yUTWb.jpg

The Achievements screen after earning some achievements.

ekq8TZo.jpg

The description bubble of an unlocked achievement.

vq40Ng1.jpg

Example of dynamic placement of description bubbles based on location of selected badge.

LSlNfXe.jpg

A different configuration of badges (2 rows of 5 badges per row). The page cursors are also visible, indicating that additional badges are above and below the current view.

imX5yUx.jpg

Credits:

• Gambit for the script and majority of GUI graphics
  • Casper Gaming (and any other necessary credits) when using required CSCA scripts
  • Omegas7 if using included default trophy graphics

Changelog:

v 1.11 - May 13, 2014
  • Incorporated updates since CSCA Achievements 2.0.0
  • Automatically incorporates new achievement types as they are added to the CSCA Achievements script
v 1.10 - July 13, 2013
  • Script overhaul to maintain compatibility with the CSCA Achievements 2.0.0 update
  • Massive performance improvement when drawing badges as the number of calculations was cut exponentially
  • Fixed issue with gauges going beyond description bubbles when STOP_TRACK is false and the achievements' requirements are exceeded (STOP_TRACK will now function as expected based on setting in CSCA Achievements script)
  • Fixed issue where Achievements menu command greyed out but was not removed when ADD_COMMAND_TO_MENU is set to false
v 1.02 - May 13, 2013
  • Included option to store total achievement score in a game variable
v 1.01 - May 13, 2013
  • Included option to add Achievements command to menu
  • If interrupted while displaying banners of multiple achievements, banners will now finish displaying when appropriate
  • Fixed issue with banner staying on screen for a scene if interrupted
  • Updated to include CSCA Achievements 1.2.4 bug fix
v 1.00 - May 3, 2013
  • Initial release

Script and Associated Graphics:

Graphics: Gambit Achievement GUI Graphics.zip

Script: Gambit Achievement GUI Script v1.11.txt

Old versions:

Script: Gambit Achievement GUI Script v1.10.txt -- Requires CSCA Achievements 2.0.0 or above

Script: Gambit Achievement GUI Script v1.02.txt -- Compatible with CSCA Achievements 1.2.4 & below

Edited by Gambit.

Thanks guys!

I've made a few changes. Update released.

v 1.01 - May 13, 2013
  • Included option to add Achievements command to menu
  • If interrupted while displaying banners of multiple achievements, banners will now finish displaying when appropriate
  • Fixed issue with banner staying on screen for a scene if interrupted
  • Updated to include CSCA Achievements 1.2.4 bug fix

Wow, I really like the overlay and features :o Is it possible to make a stand-alone version of this script that does not require core scripts? Great work.

Yea, because I already have multiple core scripts, and that one will cause stacking errors when I use that core script.

Okay, update released with a new feature and less reliance on the core script. To use this script without getting stacking errors due to core scripts, get the CSCA Core script and you can delete all lines except 46-47 ($imported lines) and 147-164 (class CSCA_Item) from the core script. That should be all you need to do. This may cause incompatibilities with other CSCA scripts, however, so it is not recommended if you plan to use other CSCA scripts. Let me know if it works!

v 1.02 - May 13, 2013

• Included option to store total achievement score in a game variable
Edited by Gambit.

With the Achievements command in the menu, if I open it and close it all of the achievements

will stay on the screen while the background and cursor close properly.

EDIT: Figured it out

Edited by Mickemoose

Do you mean that the Achievements option on the in-game menu is grayed out when you try to select it (so you can't even get to the Achievements screen)? If so, set ADD_COMMAND_TO_MENU to true in the script setup.

Edited by Gambit.

Do you mean that the Achievements option on the in-game menu is grayed out when you try to select it (so you can't even get to the Achievements screen)? If so, set ADD_COMMAND_TO_MENU to true in the script setup.

Ok... I figured it out, but when I got 10 chests, achievements wont unlock. Other 2 I made works!

The game cannot track treasure chests automatically. You need to assign the achievement progress to a variable and then have each chest increase that variable by one. This is how the CSCA Achievements script works.

Edited by Gambit.

It seems i can't make it work...

Line1401: Named Error Ocurred.

Undefined method 'on_change' for class 'Game_Achievements'

I put the CSCA Core first then the CSCA Achievements script and then this...

I create a new project just with these scripts to see if is a problem of compatibility and i have the same problem...

I'm going to assume that you're using the latest CSCA scripts. If so, Casper made some major changes to the CSCA Achievements script in update 2.0.0 that will require a pretty large update to my Achievement GUI to maintain compatibility (check out his most recent post in the CSCA Achievements thread). This was my first major script release so it's pretty rough. I'll try to work my way through it and work on updating it to support the CSCA Achievements update but it might take awhile since I will probably have to rewrite much of this script.

Edited by Gambit.

Script updated to 1.10.

v 1.10 - July 13, 2013
  • Script overhaul to maintain compatibility with the CSCA Achievements 2.0.0 update
  • Massive performance improvement when drawing badges as the number of calculations was cut exponentially
  • Fixed issue with gauges going beyond description bubbles when STOP_TRACK is false and the achievement's requirements are exceeded (STOP_TRACK will now function as expected based on setting in CSCA Achievements script)
  • Fixed issue where Achievements menu command greyed out but was not removed when ADD_COMMAND_TO_MENU is set to false
Edited by Gambit.

hi i have a doubt i put the scripts in my project but when i pass to other map the character doesnt do anithing he cant move i can acces to menu but not move i dont know if u can help me 

hi i have a doubt I put the scripts in my project but when I pass to other map the character doesn't do anything he can't move i can acces to menu but not move i dont know if u can help me 

Well, first you should check if an event is blocking it. If not, you also should check if the Tileset where the character/s are on is passable, if not, check anything else involved with Collision.

And just a tip, you should post this quesion in RGSS3 Script Support, just telling ya.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, congratulations, this script is really nice.

Edited by ZoroarX

Minor update released exactly a year after the very first update  :)

v 1.11 - May 13, 2014
  • Incorporated updates since CSCA Achievements 2.0.0
  • Automatically incorporates new achievement types as they are added to the CSCA Achievements script

Hello there!

I wanna change position of "AchievementBanner" to the top right, is it possible?

Edited by Mur