Music Software Tools

Something I've not actually written up about yet is tools that are useful for you to use when writing and creating music for RPG Maker. Some of these pieces of software are free other aren't. If you have any other useful stuff that you'd suggest any budding musician to use than reply below and I'll add them on

DAW: Digital Audio Workstations

DAW's is the MUST HAVE software for musicians. If you are wanting to take Music Production seriously then you need to invest/use one of these babies, with it you can create almost ANYTHING that your heart can have. 

Avid ProTools

Description: An Expensive Audio Production Center for Windows and Mac. I will openly admit knowing FA about 

Price: Â£550.80+

Cubase

Description: A industry Standard DAW for Mac and Windows Only  however, due to this is rather pricy...

Price:  Â£244

Apple Logic Pro: 

Description: The MOTHER of all DAW's only available for mac sadly, I personally don't like it as much, but it's what most modern day producers use. 

Price: $199.99+

FL Studio

Description: A DAW that I know a little about, and is actually used by quite a few of the other RPG Maker Musicians! 

Price: From $99- $299 (Not including VAT) 

Sonar X3: 

Description: Another DAW in the countless end of DAW studio, is good for a medium sized budget, has a larger feature set than Reaper and LMMS and is what I currently am using now. Comes in three different flavours: Standard, Studio and Producer, each offers more effects/instruments etc for use in your tracks.  You can also get it on Steam...if that floats your boat :D

Price: From £119-499 (direct from Cakewalk)

LMMS

Description: A freeware DAW designed for simple day to day use with VST Instrument support available on ALL platforms :)

Price: Free

Reaper: 

Description: A GREAT value for money piece of software that is as quality as EVERY OTHER SINGLE DAW but is at a fraction of a price. You can download a DRM free trial version, (you are asked to purchase a licence after 60 days though)

Price: Personal/Small Business Licence: $60,Large Business Licence: $225

Propellerhead's Reason:

Desciption: I once again no very little about this software, it's not bad, but for me abit restricive, and the price tag is pretty high :) but provides a good amount of "Rack's" which have instruments bundled in on them. Not bad DAW. 

Price:  $400

Finale Notepad

Description: Powerful notation software that will, essentially, get your ideas onto actual sheet music that you can print out. The samples that come with it aren't the best, but I find it can be more useful than a DAW at times.

Price: Free (there are paid options available if you need more powerful features! 

VST's (Virtual Studio Technology) Instruments and Sample Libraries 

Once you've finally got yourself one of the DAW's up there you'll have access to a wide variety of expensive and not so expensive VST Plugins. These work alongside your DAW's and are key for Music Production. Most DAW's come with their own VST instruments and samples but these give you more alternative choices. 

DSKMusic

I love their series, and without them I wouldn't be able to have got this far, all of their VST instruments are FREE for commercial and Non Commercial use, and some of my earlier pieces used all of DSK instruments, you can get everything from Piano's to Choirs and then to Classical Guitars and even Sitar and Tablas. 

Price: FREE!

Cakewalk Dimension Pro

Description: A recent, accidental purchase of mine, and I really don't regret it. Over 3.5GB of instruments are located in this beautiful VST. Everything from Ghost Pianos to full Orchestral Ensembles. I don't normally sing the praises of more expensive VST's but this is BRILLIANT value for money, and it actually comes with three free expansion packs! I wasn't complaining that's for sure. 

Price: Â£69.00

EWQL

Description: Oh holy hell. this is the BEST of the best, It is used by the best Music Producers in the industry, If you can afford it. GET IT. It's ridiculously HQ and sounds EPIC. 

Price: $199+ (that is it in it's current sale price -_-

LA Scoring Strings

Description: Another one of the beautiful string libraries out there, it's also quite pricey too, if you afford it it's another one you could get :D

Price: $999.00

Vienna Symphonic Library

Description: Another library that is similar to EWQL, but is argued to be better uses Kontakt as well. 

Price: Varies 

SSO

Description: Is EWQL too expensive for you? Then this sample library is beautiful enough to create some pretty damn good music with, i use it myself and it can sound amazing! 

Price: Free

Kontakt 5

Description: Kontakt 5 is a VST that is, for the most part, extremely powerful in its versatility. It offers several articulations for a wide variety of instruments and styles, ranging from orchestral to band to full-blown choirs. One of the biggest issues I have with it is its...

Price: $399. I have purchased this myself :D Also, there are discounts available for you if you purchase a Kontakt Player instrument :)

LUMINA

A sample library from Project Sam in their Symphobia series.  I cannot say enough good things about this library, the newest in my collection.  The expressive possibilities, the articulations...it's all first rate.  This library is particularly suited for writing fantasy type game music.  You've got pretty much everything you'll need for that in one library! 

Price: $699 (Current Price direct from ProjectSam)

8dio

Description: They have everything you could think of in their beautiful VERY detailed libraries. However personally, they're useful once you've got the basics cause they really are very detailed and useful in certain situations unlike things like Kontakt, EWQL and others. 

Price: Various 

Orangetree

Description: Value for money, but beautifully sampled instruments, I love their Angelic Harp!

Price: Various :) 

SYNTHESIZERS:

Massive

Pretty much everyone's favourite commercial synth, this baby has three oscillators, two multimode filters, mappable modulations and various modulation types (from envelopes to LFOs to direct control via MIDI CC or velocity, or even macros within the VST). It can make some great leads, basses, and everything in-between, but its interface is not very beginner-friendly despite how sleek it is. Oh, and it has some nice in-built effects, though the EQ is kind of crap because it only has 3 bands and you can't control where they lay and what their width is.

Price: $199, but you save a lot of money getting it in Komplete, which I recommend doing as I believe this synth is a tad overpriced compared to some other offerings which have similar capabilities.

FM8

An FM synth with a lot of character, it has 6 normal operators, a filter, and a noise generator. Loads of other parameters and built-in effects make up the rest of this almost modular synth but it is NOT beginner-friendly AT ALL. However, once you learn how to use it, you'll be making everything from classic PC-8801 sounds to modern dance basses or chord pads. A lot of people dig this synth and I love it too, but it takes a while to learn how to use it, and even veterans will have to put up with a little bit of a learning curve. It comes with an insert effect version that you can use to process other sounds, but I don't really use that.

Price: $199, but I believe it comes with Komplete so you'll save money just getting that bundle to get these synths, Kontakt, and the next entry in this list.

Reaktor 5

Not really a synth so much as a somewhat simplified software synth development tool and runtime environment. Synths made with Reaktor 5 can only be used by other users with Reaktor 5, and making your own synth is a bit of a challenge. Fortunately, Reaktor 5 comes with a decent lineup of great user-made synths and Lazerbass, which is fantastic. Some of NI's other synths require Reaktor, or come with an install of the free Reaktor 5 player, which allows you to play Reaktor synths but not modify them or make your own.

Price: $399. Get Komplete instead and save the money, because in my opinion this VST is only really worth it for a few of the synths that come with it (particularly Lazerbass) but they don't add up in value to $400 for me personally. So getting it in a bundle with a bunch of other stuff would be a better idea.

Absynth 5

A semi-modular synth I haven't used much. Has some nice in-built effects and comes with an insert effect version you can drop into your mixer, but I don't really use that. Has some great presets and a soft, configurable randomizer you can use to give yourself a slightly weirder variant of any sound you pick or make yourself.

Price: $199. Get this with Komplete.

Z3ta+ 2

A hell of a powerful synth with 6 oscillators, two multimode filters, loads of mappable envelopes and LFOs, waveshaping, built-in effects, a huge modulation matrix that allows you to map envelopes, LFOs, MIDI controls, and more to either parameters or functions in varying ranges, and visual representations of just about every main part of the synth. The GUI is great, the presets are good, and there's so many options that you can make pretty much any sound you can think of. There's loads of included waveforms and you can even use your own! This is my personal choice for a commercial synth—there's so much you can do with it you'll be able to use this baby in most situations. Oh, and the built-in EQ is actually very good, as it shows you at least which frequency band you're affecting and it has multiple modes.

Price: $99. A pittance compared to other commercial virtual synths, and for how much it does it is very cheap.

DRUM SAMPLERS:

Battery 4

A very good drum sampler which has built-in effects and an internal mixer. You can map drums to external outs as well if you'd rather mix them in your DAW instead. The included kits are varied and extensive, and mapping is very simple and logical. The interface is also very intuitive. It's my personal choice for a drum sampler, but it's probably because I've only used FPC and Drumaxx before and am not a fan of those as compared to this.

Price: $199. In my opinion, worth it on its own but if you want to get other NI stuff, get it in Komplete.

Geist

Looks good, though I don't have experience with this one. A bit flashy for my tastes and a little pricey, but it does have time manipulation effects, envelopes, multi-output internal mixer buses, and a sample browser... much like Battery.

Price: $249

FREEBIES:

Synth1

I haven't used it before but I've heard good things and pretty much everyone loves it. For a free synth (or for a synth in general) it's quite powerful, and includes a few mappable LFOs as well. The GUI is cluttered and dated, though.

Crystal

The other free synth by which all free synths are measured. This thing is... really complicated. However, if you can master it, it's very good for making all kinds of noises, right up to absynth-style soundscapes. This is because it includes built-in effects and practically anything can be modulated, directly from the synth itself. The GUI is not the best, but it's intuitive enough and things are organized into tabs and the like. You could say this is like Absynth's free (possibly older? No idea) cousin, and it's certainly as capable. You might like it more!

Other Useful Software

Audacity

Freeware Audio Editing Software, also useful for looping OGG Files

TinyWav Editor

Useful for looping WAV files for IG Maker

If you have any others that you find useful then add them below using this format: 

Software Title with Link

Description

Price

I know one.

SynthFont

http://www.synthfont.com/

It let's you take midis, and apply a sound font to each track, and you can use multiple fonts and more, even use an instrument from different sound fonts for each track in the midi.

Totally free!

I been using it to remix old sega music to sound more like they were done on the snes. *laughs*

Edited by Michael Ponder Jr

Uh, I don't see FL Studio, why not suggest that too?

By the way, great info. I'll see what I and my musician can do with this.

EDIT: By the way, suggest Magix Music Maker too. The demo was awesome, but the real deal is quite pricey :/

Edited by Deathspark

Uh, I don't see FL Studio, why not suggest that too?

By the way, great info. I'll see what I and my musician can do with this.

EDIT: By the way, suggest Magix Music Maker too. The demo was awesome, but the real deal is quite pricey :/

Magix is abit dodgy when it comes to commercial projects, I know myself I used to use Magix, and it's not really classed as a DAW in my eyes, as it doesn't include support for Effect VST(i)'s.

Although, how is it expensive lol you pay 80 when full price for other vst's is over 200+! 

Compared to reaper it is, but then again Reaper is dirt cheap and really high quality :D I live by Reaper :D

Vienna Symphonic Orchestra is best of the best, but the price tag is so high that using it is a pipe dream for most.

Personally, I prefer Project Sam instruments to EWQL when going for a more cinematic sound (and Project Sam is compatible with Kontakt software, while EWQL uses its own proprietary, and in my opinion inferior, PLAY sampler), but even EWQL silver is pretty decent for the price-point.

I'd like to mention Linux Multi Media Studio or LMMS, it's a bit tricky (I haven't got a clue yet, just got it.) to work so far, but it's free and seems pretty good.

Finale Notepad:
Powerful notation software that will, essentially, get your ideas onto actual sheet music that you can print out. The samples that come with it aren't the best, but I find it can be more useful than a DAW at times.

Pricing: FREE! --If you'd like to get the actual Finale notation software, it can be pretty pricey, but this is an excellent piece of software for beginning on the music notation train~!

Kontakt 5

Kontakt 5 is a VST that is, for the most part, extremely powerful in its versatility. It offers several articulations for a wide variety of instruments and styles, ranging from orchestral to band to full-blown choirs. One of the biggest issues I have with it is its...

Pricing: $399. I personally snagged it while it was on discount...a huge one, at that. Do I feel it's worth the full $399? No, not really. Even if it were to go on discounted price again now, there are certainly better offers you could likely snag up from other products on their website that offer more instruments. Still, though, it's great to use in music production for RPGs and the likeness of~!

The true value of Kontakt is that it is a sampler, which is a requirement if you intend to use libraries like Project Sam or Vienna Symphonic Library.  It is the middle step between the sample library and the DAW for many sample sets.

I will add

LUMINA

A sample library from Project Sam in their Symphobia series.  I cannot say enough good things about this library, the newest in my collection.  The expressive possibilities, the articulations...it's all first rate.  This library is particularly suited for writing fantasy type game music.  You've got pretty much everything you'll need for that in one library!  The cost is around $1,000 (USD) depending on where you buy it.  I tend to buy all my music production software from Sweetwater.  While $1,000 will be a huge price obstacle for most, it is absolutely worth it if you can get it.  I have been using it in all my commercial projects since I got it.

It seems ridiculous to have Avid Pro Tools listed under DAWs here, which is honestly terrible along with their video production software, which I know first hand because I used to have to use that crap software for my work as a TV reporter/producer.  Only in Avid would you get pop-ups with an error message like, "DOES NOT WORK" (yes, that's a real error message) or Avid telling you there was something wrong with your "Flamethrower."

I understand the OP is a Reaper fan and there's a bit of consternation between the Reaper and FL community but it's just silly not to mention FL Studio under DAWs when it's one of the most popular DAWs out there for indie and even professional & commercial producers and there is such a massive FL community for resources, tutorials including a gajillion video tutorials on youtube and other video sites and more.

It seems ridiculous to have Avid Pro Tools listed under DAWs here, which is honestly terrible along with their video production software, which I know first hand because I used to have to use that crap software for my work as a TV reporter/producer.  Only in Avid would you get pop-ups with an error message like, "DOES NOT WORK" (yes, that's a real error message) or Avid telling you there was something wrong with your "Flamethrower."

Wow...now that is kinda funny, however you understand my predicament if I remove it from the list people who CAN and DO use Pro Tools will get abit upset about it.

I have never used Pro Tools (primarily cause it used to be only for Mac, and the price point in my opinion is ludicrous.

I understand the OP is a Reaper fan and there's a bit of consternation between the Reaper and FL community but it's just silly not to mention FL Studio under DAWs when it's one of the most popular DAWs out there for indie and even professional & commercial producers and there is such a massive FL community for resources, tutorials including a gajillion video tutorials on youtube and other video sites and more.

Is there? well there isn't any from this Reaper fan I think FL Studio is a brilliant DAW! This however is NOT a comprehensive list There are probably 100's I have missed, I call em when I see em. If I find one that looks good i'll add it. 

Now how I missed FL Studio considering some of the Other musicians that write for RPG Maker use them, I do not know, but heck I can't remember them all. 

So yeah, basically couldn't care less about any consternation and bitterness between two different companies I liked reaper because of its great value for money and the fact that they don't cripple their software, It appears that Avid have certainly screwed up Pro Tools! because at one stage in it's now depleting  life it WAS an industry standard :D

I will happily add FL Studio to the list, But this is by far NOT a comprehensive list, and I will update as people such as yourself let me know what ones there are :D

I will happily add FL Studio to the list, But this is by far NOT a comprehensive list, and I will update as people such as yourself let me know what ones there are :D

Well, there's not really consternation between the companies.  There are however a number of bitter internet nerd debates about Reaper vs. FL Studio which has caused some internet feuds which as we all know are serious business.

Regardless, they both have their merits and Reaper probably attracts quite a few people due to it's friendlier price point.

I wasn't suggesting you remove Avid from your list...it's just...when you've worked with Avid products for as long as I have...it eats away at your soul. :P

Anyway, we have Macs and Adobe Premiere/Suite now at work...and I'm not a huge Mac fan either.  I guess I just like to complain about stuff.

Edited by DorkLord

I haven't touched Pro-Tools in about 13 years but when I did my Audio Engineer course it was THE #1 software in the bizz. It was like the software that Hollywood used. Funny to see how things can change over time.

Fruity for life for me ;)

I've been using Reaper, and I have to say it's awesome that you included it. It seems difficult to get used to at first, but there are plenty of useful tutorials on youtube for newbies. I think it's important that you note that the private license for Reaper comes fully featured and doesn't miss out on any of the features that the commercialized version has, so both versions are essentially the same. It's an all-around great deal for those who don't want to spend a lot on a DAW but don't want to trade in functionality. Great to see you included Audacity, since I think it's a great program to use for those who don't have the money yet and it's the one I started off using before I bought Reaper.

I do have to add Adobe Audition. A stellar DAW with incredible functionality to it. It's much smoother to use and is great for editing. Doesn't burn too much CPU and is highly compatible.

I myself use fl studio for my DAW. =)

As for vsti's, I have EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Gold, Pianos Gold, Symphonic Choirs + VOTA, Solo Violin, Goliath, Gypsy, Silk, Storm Drum II, RA, Voices of Passion, Fab Four, and Ministry of Rock. I also have Desert Winds and Medieval Legends (which I can't use much of due to a limited CPU; am saving for a better computer), reFX Nexus, Gemini, Z3ta+, Alchemy, and Miku (English version). Mind you it's taken me years to build up to this point, and there's many, many more things I want haha. =)

Hello!

I believe Sibelius is a quite efficient software. From music notation/articulation to easy built-in basic mixing and VST management. I usually work with Kontakt 5 as an audio device for Sibelius, you can export pretty nice demos(audios) of your musical piece before getting into serious mixing/mastering. It works excellent to show clear ideas to the client without MIDI or taking so much time on edition for a simple preview. It also emphasizes the musicality of your work! 

As the Finale Notepad application, Sibelius may be a better choice for more "musical composers" (let's say more "John Williams than Hans Zimmer" style)

However, the price is.. well, is Avid stuff, you know.

But is your choice to add it to the list!

Here it is a little work I did with that software and EWQL instruments (these versions are edited in Logic)

Greetings!

Edited by eatorl

I'm surprised nobody has brought up Famitracker yet. Famitracker is a music sequencer that lets you make NES-style tracks with a little bit of practice. Also, it's freeeee~

Here's the website - http://www.famitracker.com/

If you want an example of what it can do, look up "famitracker" and almost any pop song on YouTube. :) Anamanaguchi's album Dawn Metropolis used it quite heavily as well.

Hope this helps! :)

I don't see LA Scoring Strings, Vienna Symphonic Library, Synthogy Ivory, Imperfect Samples stuff, or Cinesamples stuff up there.

The prices for most of it is way out of the range of beginners, but as a current happy user of IS's Ebony Grand and some Cinesamples stuff, it's worth every cent. As for Kontakt's price, you pretty much save a trillion dollars if you buy Komplete 10/Ultimate instead of just purchasing the individual instruments and effects, so if you can justify it—do that instead!

edit: Oh, and for those who want some middle ground in price, there's 8dio's libraries for Kontakt (really dig their everything) and Orangetree has affordable and amazing sample libraries for kontakt as well. Also check out Ilya Efimov if you want stuff that's even more affordable and unique.

Edited by Noyemi

Definitely Noyemi!  I didn't even think of including sound libraries in the discussion. After I finished my first project I got the Complete Composer's Collection from SoundsOnline, and it's served me well since. It's not as high-end as the libraries Noyemi mentioned, but the price tag is a bit lower too.

For any Ableton Live users, you can get a Live pack from Project SAM, the Essential Orchestral Selection for $79.  For what you get, it's a great price, and the brass is especially nice (didn't use the strings much though, and I'm still afraid of woodwinds. Trying to learn to love 'em though!!)

I think a lot of people are completely lost when it comes to looking for electronic production stuff, so I have some recommendations for synthesizers and drum samplers too (the good thing about free synths is that they can objectively be as good as paid ones, at the expense of unprofessional GUIs, but I digress...) I'll start off with the Native Instruments stuff.

SYNTHESIZERS:

Massive

Pretty much everyone's favourite commercial synth, this baby has three oscillators, two multimode filters, mappable modulations and various modulation types (from envelopes to LFOs to direct control via MIDI CC or velocity, or even macros within the VST). It can make some great leads, basses, and everything in-between, but its interface is not very beginner-friendly despite how sleek it is. Oh, and it has some nice in-built effects, though the EQ is kind of crap because it only has 3 bands and you can't control where they lay and what their width is.

Price: $199, but you save a lot of money getting it in Komplete, which I recommend doing as I believe this synth is a tad overpriced compared to some other offerings which have similar capabilities.

FM8

An FM synth with a lot of character, it has 6 normal operators, a filter, and a noise generator. Loads of other parameters and built-in effects make up the rest of this almost modular synth but it is NOT beginner-friendly AT ALL. However, once you learn how to use it, you'll be making everything from classic PC-8801 sounds to modern dance basses or chord pads. A lot of people dig this synth and I love it too, but it takes a while to learn how to use it, and even veterans will have to put up with a little bit of a learning curve. It comes with an insert effect version that you can use to process other sounds, but I don't really use that.

Price: $199, but I believe it comes with Komplete so you'll save money just getting that bundle to get these synths, Kontakt, and the next entry in this list.

Reaktor 5

Not really a synth so much as a somewhat simplified software synth development tool and runtime environment. Synths made with Reaktor 5 can only be used by other users with Reaktor 5, and making your own synth is a bit of a challenge. Fortunately, Reaktor 5 comes with a decent lineup of great user-made synths and Lazerbass, which is fantastic. Some of NI's other synths require Reaktor, or come with an install of the free Reaktor 5 player, which allows you to play Reaktor synths but not modify them or make your own.

Price: $399. Get Komplete instead and save the money, because in my opinion this VST is only really worth it for a few of the synths that come with it (particularly Lazerbass) but they don't add up in value to $400 for me personally. So getting it in a bundle with a bunch of other stuff would be a better idea.

Absynth 5

A semi-modular synth I haven't used much. Has some nice in-built effects and comes with an insert effect version you can drop into your mixer, but I don't really use that. Has some great presets and a soft, configurable randomizer you can use to give yourself a slightly weirder variant of any sound you pick or make yourself.

Price: $199. Get this with Komplete.

Z3ta+ 2

A hell of a powerful synth with 6 oscillators, two multimode filters, loads of mappable envelopes and LFOs, waveshaping, built-in effects, a huge modulation matrix that allows you to map envelopes, LFOs, MIDI controls, and more to either parameters or functions in varying ranges, and visual representations of just about every main part of the synth. The GUI is great, the presets are good, and there's so many options that you can make pretty much any sound you can think of. There's loads of included waveforms and you can even use your own! This is my personal choice for a commercial synth—there's so much you can do with it you'll be able to use this baby in most situations. Oh, and the built-in EQ is actually very good, as it shows you at least which frequency band you're affecting and it has multiple modes.

Price: $99. A pittance compared to other commercial virtual synths, and for how much it does it is very cheap.

DRUM SAMPLERS:

Battery 4

A very good drum sampler which has built-in effects and an internal mixer. You can map drums to external outs as well if you'd rather mix them in your DAW instead. The included kits are varied and extensive, and mapping is very simple and logical. The interface is also very intuitive. It's my personal choice for a drum sampler, but it's probably because I've only used FPC and Drumaxx before and am not a fan of those as compared to this.

Price: $199. In my opinion, worth it on its own but if you want to get other NI stuff, get it in Komplete.

Geist

Looks good, though I don't have experience with this one. A bit flashy for my tastes and a little pricey, but it does have time manipulation effects, envelopes, multi-output internal mixer buses, and a sample browser... much like Battery.

Price: $249

FREEBIES:

Synth1

I haven't used it before but I've heard good things and pretty much everyone loves it. For a free synth (or for a synth in general) it's quite powerful, and includes a few mappable LFOs as well. The GUI is cluttered and dated, though.

Crystal

The other free synth by which all free synths are measured. This thing is... really complicated. However, if you can master it, it's very good for making all kinds of noises, right up to absynth-style soundscapes. This is because it includes built-in effects and practically anything can be modulated, directly from the synth itself. The GUI is not the best, but it's intuitive enough and things are organized into tabs and the like. You could say this is like Absynth's free (possibly older? No idea) cousin, and it's certainly as capable. You might like it more!

Mikro Prism

Requires the (free) Reaktor 5 Player which also comes with some sorta neat stuff. It's a gimped version of Prism but that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. It's just not as much of a complete (komplete?) package as some other free synths and so has limited usefulness.

Edited by Noyemi