I've had this idea floating around in my head for a long while now.  A lot of the time when I play RPG's I wonder what it's like from the villain's perspective.

So my idea is to make an RPG where you are the villain, not the hero.  Maybe you start out as a good guy, and turn evil for some reason, or just start out evil.  I don't know about that part yet.

The main points are that there is a hero (or group of heros) that want to stop you from completing your nefarious deeds.  Like all heros they just won't die. This must be infuriating for villains. You keep beating them down, and they keep showing up throughout the game to foil your plans at the last moment.

So, what so you guys think?  Would you like to play an RPG through the villain's eyes?  Ever played a game like this?

Edited by SlickStretch

This has been done often in various forms of media. Typically its humorous in fashion. The more serious ones use the anti-hero shtick.

It's also available in many open RPGs.

I don't think its a bad idea. Done right it can be entertaining. Just make sure you have a strong grasp on humor and exaggeration as well as subtle pop culture references if you do it.

I'm thinking of a more serious plot.  Like maybe playing as a character who has some tragic event happen, and then you play as he/she falls slowly into madness and evil.  Alienating those around him and causing lots of pain, suffering, and destruction.  Sort of like Anakin Skywalkers fall to the dark side.

Like I said in this case, you'll be going down the more anti-hero route than anything.

Rue is a good example of this kind of person. Check out "The Way."

He is essentially the villain of the story.

The game did pretty well too. The last couple chapters won the Misao awards.

The original plot you have in mind is definitely suited more for comedy. If you create a party of heroes that the villain obsesses over, it seems like he's the lovable Saturday cartoon villain that never gets his way (Shredder, M. Bison, Team Rocket).

But treading the dark path seems to be what you want. In that respects, you should not create a party of heroes for him to oppose; that just draws attention away from his character. Making him feel betrayed by ideals, a person, or an organization are what gives it a more mature feel; this is actually what Star Wars does. If you want to make a story about a mature villain, it should go through how he came to make this decision and become a villain without too much emphasis of what he does as a villain. If you ever played Warcraft III... or really well any Blizzard game honestly, the plotlines always follow the character until they're corrupted at the very end. It's really all about the path towards darkness.

On SNES age there are two game allowed you to play as villians
One is Dark Half (1996) and another...is...

I'm thinking of a more serious plot.  Like maybe playing as a character who has some tragic event happen, and then you play as he/she falls slowly into madness and evil.  Alienating those around him and causing lots of pain, suffering, and destruction.  Sort of like Anakin Skywalkers fall to the dark side.

....this (SPOILER ALERT)

Live a Live
One character will become a big boss after he suffer a lot and you can choose to play as him fighting all others heroes and destroy/conquer the world

Edited by ShadowServant

Ditto the anti-hero thing. By any reasonable account, the protagonist will always be a "hero" to the player, no matter how bad. It's important to sympathize with the character you're controlling, and that's hard to do if s/he's a complete dick. Some examples of less-than-virtuous protags are found in:

Shadow the Hedgehog: Shadow's mostly fighting for his own end, which can range from heroics to demonics. Most routes still involve fighting the "good guys," however.

Legacy of Kain series: Both protagonists, Kain and Raziel, are shining examples of anti-heroes. Kain sets out to do whatever benefits him for most of the series, and Raziel aims to avenge his fate throughout most of his playable appearances. These involve killing many innocents.

I was going to name more, but then I realized there's a far better article and list here. There are also subpages of more specific types. Spoilers abound.

I like this idea :)

The main character is a good peasant who had a peaceful life until the appearance

of a super hero has changed everything. His house was burned down while the super

hero fighting monsters, his lover has left him alone to go with the hero... :lol:

I also think that the main issue will be that the villain, being a proper villain, has some kind of motivation. Not "I'll destroy the world because hey, why not".

For him, his actions are justified. Thus, he becomes the hero of his own story, even though his actions or ideals might not reflect that hero state. His actions work towards a greater good, even if it turns out this greater good isn't good at all. Even if it turns out he has been terribly manipulated into committing evil. Even if everyone calls him a villain. Even if he destroys the world. Even if he, in the end, is defeated by the hero, who really is the villain in this story. Even if he stays stubborn and evil until the end, he still stays the hero of his story.