EST - PHONE MENU ENGINE

Version: 1.4
Creator name : Estriole
Level : Medium

Introduction
    First of all... THIS IS NOT PHONE SCRIPT (at least yet). This script is a menu engine in the form of phone. just imagine this like yanfly menu engine.... This script can transform to real PHONE script if you create the add - on for it and then link that to engine. (I'm planning to create add on based on real phone script by necrozard myself. but strangely VX in my laptop crashed when opened. because of window compatibility issues or registry error or something i still don't know. maybe after i install my vx to another computer then).

This script only require a little scripting knowledge if only use the basic function. (For linking the scene to engine)
make sure you read the instruction in the script header.

and if you have more knowledge you can utilize this engine to it's full power.

ALSO WORK BETTER IF COMBINED WITH TSUKIHIME SCENE INTERPRETER script.
so you can link common event to menu command.

IF YOU DON'T WANT this as your default menu... you can set that up in the config.
  CALL_PHONE_MENU_WHEN_PRESSING_ESC = false
but you need to call that scene using other method. SceneManager.call(Scene_Phone)

Version History:

v1.0 2013.05.29     > Initial Release
v1.1 2013.06.01     > Rework the documentation a little bit to make it easier to understand.
                               > Fix the demo for missing picture (to demonstrate call common event)
                               > Add msgbox rescue when the phone script is not correct instead crashing the game. but it will also do
                                  the rescue if the phone script is not exist.
                               > Add Actor selection ADDON - it's to replicate default menu. when we enter skill command we select
                                  actor first before go to Scene_Skill. then Scene_Skill will use the actor selected
                                  as first view of that scene. this ADDON replicate that.
                               > ADDON Scene and Window superclass made. so developing new ADDON is lots easier.
                                  See the CREATING ADDONS for detail
                               > Add Phone Status ADDON - it make scene status that fits the phone. only minimal information can
                                  be shown though because the space limit.
 v1.2 2013.06.06     > Implement bold font. command easier to read and more noticeable...
                     > Improved ADDON superclass to support using actor background.
                     just define method def use_actor_background and make it return true.
  v1.3 2013.06.06     > Added jet mouse system patch (the newer mouse system not the old one)
                     here's the link: http://www.rpgmakervxace.net/topic/14756-mouse-system/
                     modify the phone addon superclass window to support jet mouse system.
                     if you want to do something when the index is changed by mouse movement.
                     define it in:  def when_mouse_change_index

v1.4 2013.06.18     > modify jet mouse system patch to use aliasing instead so the patch
                     also work for VM simple mouse script. (they use the same update_mouse method)
                     working on the jet mouse system bugfix since no response from jet. almost complete.
                     PUT ALL MOUSE SCRIPT ABOVE THIS SCRIPT !!!!!!!!!!!!
                     > change the superclass for addons to support VLUE mouse script.
                     > automatically set default handler to the addon window :ok and :cancel handler 
                     if the addon writer forgot adding the handler in create_addon_window method.
                     > fix some disposed so not flooding the memory

GRAB THE DEMO FOR ALL THE ADDONS I MADE

Features
 * Menu with animated icon
 * can have unlimited command
 * can set up requirement for that command to included in menu
 * can set up requirement for that command to enabled in menu (not enabled will be greyed)
 * call scene
 * call common event
 * call method inside Scene_Phone
 * can define custom method in Scene_Phone...
* support NEW JET MOUSE SCRIPT

* support VLUE Simple Mouse + Addon Script

Screenshots
The phone image is taken from necrozard vx phone script.
phone%20menu%20engine.png

ADDONS

- Actor Selection Addon
actor%20selection.png

- Phone Status Addon
phone%20status%20view.png
phone%20status%20talk.png

- Phone Equip Addon
phone%20equip%20view.png
phone%20equip%20change.png

- Phone GameEnd Addon
phone%20game%20end.png

- Phone Save Load Addon (to lazy to screenshot. just download the demo)

- Phone Item Addon (to lazy to screenshot. just download the demo)

- Phone Skill Addon (to lazy to screenshot. just download the demo)

How to Use
this script level is MEDIUM
See the header of the script

Demo

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ytby8jtg0k501k/PHONE.rar

DEMO update. (Same demo. just grab above)

>DEMO updated.
- have separate configuration script. in that config i set it to work like default menu (only missing formation)
- NEW ADD ON - Actor selection
- NEW ADD ON - Phone Status
>DEMO updated.
- NEW ADD ON - Phone Equip
>DEMO updated.
- NEW ADD ON - Phone GameEnd
- Actor Selection ADDON -> v.1.1
- Phone Status ADDON -> v.1.1
- Phone Equip ADDON -> v.1.1
>DEMO updated.

- NEW ADD ON - Phone Save/Load

- Phone system mouse patched

- Phone ADD ON mouse patched

>DEMO updated.
- Phone script patched to newest version

Script
http://pastebin.com/NxTD6eM6

Compatibility
 Compatible with most script.

Credit and Thanks
- Estriole
- Necrozard - VX Phone Script - for the idea. also if you use the graphics. credit him.

Author's Notes
After i have time and install my vx to another computer... i might recreate the add on for this phone engine.
what necrozard have made in vx:
SMS system
Calendar
Pictures
Songs

what i have made in vx before (never release it):
Camera system.
Map system.
Call system (use common event)

but only if i have time >.<.

Edited by estriole

Would be good for a modern game :P.

I remember this one game, Stick RPG 2, where you had something similar to this.

Actually, I'm planning to use this for my game. A modern teen in a fantasy world. I'm using this with the BUILD/DECOR script :3

Sir, I LOVE this script and will indeed use it, BUT, how can I:

A) Remove icons?

B) Give icons a different use?

to add/remove icons permanently from the start...... just add/remove it from ICON_TITLES array... for example you want to add "Tools" as second command in menu. and delete "Camera"

ICON_TITLES=["SMS","Tools","Calendar","Pictures",
               "Calc","Mob Data","Map","Weather",
               "Quest","Clock","Settings","E-Mail",
               "Call","Browser","Music","Web",
               "Power","Games","Notes","Almanac"]

but if you mean to remove it temporary in games. (example you first have menu 'Tools' but later in game you want to remove it from the menu)

give condition to "Tools" menu in PHONE_INCLUDE array.

PHONE_INCLUDE={
  "Calendar" => "$game_actors[1].name == 'Estriole'",
  "Pictures" => "$game_switches[1] == true and $game_system.save_disabled",
  "Almanac" => "$game_switches[1] == true",
  "Tools" => "your condition here in string. must be valid ruby script that return true / false"
  }

in case you want to know. the first three command above "Tools" means: "Calendar" command will be included only if actor 1 name is Estriole. "Pictures" only when switch 1 on and save disabled. "Almanac" is when switch 1 on. if there's no condition. it will ALWAYS included.

to give icon different use... you must LINK the icon to the script it will call. put that in...PHONE_SCRIPT array. for example you want the "Tools" command you just add call Scene_Tools.

PHONE_SCRIPT={
  "SMS" => "call_common_event(1)",
  "Calendar" => "SceneManager.call(Scene_Equip)",
  "Pictures" => "pictures_feature",
  "Camera"=>"call_scene(Scene_Save)",
  "Tools"=>"call_scene(Scene_Tools)",
  }

format: "COMMANDNAME" => "your script here in string. must be valid method inside Scene_Phone or module ESTRIOLE::PHONE"

btw. this script level is medium because of that. :D. you need to know a little scripting :D. (encourage people to learn script more).

Now, I made one of Galv's scripts into a music app using this script

"Music" => "call_scene(Scene_Music_Box)",

But I ended up getting this when I click Test Start

Script 'Scene_PhoneMenu x' line 130: SyntaxError Occured

unexpected tCONSTANT, expecting '}'

PHONE ENABLE={

Whats up with it??

PHONE_SCRIPT is a hash.

so it must start with {. and end with }.

i think you deleted the } at the end of it.

PHONE_SCRIPT ={

"Music" => "call_scene(Scene_Music_Box)",

}      <<<<< this is what i means. make sure to put the script linking inside the hash.

but since the error report is PHONE_ENABLE...

means you need to check the PHONE_ENABLE section. maybe you accidentally delete the }.

i'll update the script later when i have time for more clear how to use. and made sure people don't touch that line.

Edited by estriole

UPDATED THE SCRIPT...

v1.1 2013.06.01     > Rework the documentation a little bit to make it easier to understand.
                               > Fix the demo for missing picture (to demonstrate call common event)
                               > Add msgbox rescue when the phone script is not correct instead crashing the game. but it will also do

the rescue if the phone script is not exist.
                               > Add Actor selection ADDON - it's to replicate default menu. when we enter skill command we select

actor first before go to Scene_Skill. then Scene_Skill will use the actor selected
                                  as first view of that scene. this ADDON replicate that.
                               > ADDON Scene and Window superclass made. so developing new ADDON is lots easier.
                                  See the CREATING ADDONS for detail

> Add Phone Status ADDON - it make scene status that fits the phone. only minimal information can

be shown though because the space limit.

GRAB THE DEMO FOR ALL THE ADDONS I MADE

v.1.1 - DEMO updated. (Same demo. just grab above)

- have separate configuration script. in that config i set it to work like default menu (only missing formation)

- NEW ADD ON - Actor selection

- NEW ADD ON - Phone Status

Didn't have too much time online today... see the demo to understand the addons.

Edited by estriole

DEMO updated. (Same demo. just grab above)
- NEW ADD ON - Phone Equip

for now i'll focus to make this phone menu able to work like normal menu.
add on plan: - phone_item, phone_skill, phone_formation

also give you some screen shot of the addons:

Actor Selection:
when press 'Skills', 'Equip', 'Status' the  phone show actor selection (in demo. you must see how i done it by looking to the external configuration (right above the actor selection addon script. named Simple Menu Config)
actorselection.png

Phone Status:
view actor status.. since the space limited. only little info can be put there.
phonestatusview.png
when press enter can call common event. i use it to make the actor talk (i set it to run common event 5. forgot to make configuration what common event to launch)
phonestatustalk.png

Phone Equip:
phone equip. also shown that if you don't set custom background. it will use phone background instead.
phoneequipview.png
when press ok in a slot. it will list all available item. and when hovering the item. the actor status below will show the change if the item is equipped. RED -> parameter decrease. BLUE -> parameter increase
phoneequipchange.png

pardon me if the phone addons not too good looking. since i have to work with really SMALL space >.<.

i'm confused how to put all the information i want in that tiny space :D.
currently still confused where to add equipment description in Phone_Equip.
since i think that is required. especially to explain accessory give double exp, immune to poison, etc.
so i'll update that later when i made up my mind.

Edited by estriole

Since you have such a small screen to work with, one idea is you could have the player press a different button while cursor is over an item and that will bring up the item description on the screen. Then they press button again or cancel button to return the the item list. Might be a little less friendly than the usual help window but not sure how else you'd do it

This is an amazing script with so much potential. For descriptions:

1. Maybe you can upgrade to an iPhone 5.  ;) It's bigger so there might be a bit more space for you to work with. Possible image here.

2. You can also (though this would probably require re-scripting a lot of stuff so it's probably not ideal) add a wallet-style iPhone case (something like this) where you can make the stuff on the left side slide out and display descriptions or other details there.

3. iPhones have a "Notification Center" which slides down when you slide your finger down from the time area on the top of the screen. Maybe you can add a button like page down or something that causes the Notification Center to show up. You can add the description to the Notification Center. Here's an example of what it looks like when it comes down (but this is on an iPad, on an iPhone it takes up the entire screen, not just the middle). And here's a picture of it on an iPhone after it's completely open and taking up the whole screen.

Edited by Gambit.

@gambit: thanks for the idea. i'll implement the notification addon later (will put it on the list for now). (that update will take the same time with phone signal,and battery addon since the notification slide from above.)

but for changing to iphone 5... it still useless. since i still need it to fit the default RPG Maker screen :D. so the final width and height will still the same. :D. thx for the suggestion though. (give me idea to create IPAD menu engine ADDON later if possible LOTS MORE SPACE LOL :D.)

please create an add on to get messages :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

I'll do that addon later when i finish making this phone menu able to work like default menu INSIDE the phone screen.
but for now you could use http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/11984-zmail-sending-you-spam-since-2013/
if you want...

@galv : thx for suggestion... i manage to create the small help window... but the description need to be short. but i guess it will suffice for now.
@celt  : i create the small help window. but the option to make it scrollable (like on tv broadcast) is interesting. but i'm afraid it will reduce the FPS (updating the window constantly. not to mention i update the map constantly already). anyone have link to scrolling window script that don't lag? so i can study it.

on other hand
Updated the script to v1.2
 v1.2 2013.06.06     > Implement bold font. command easier to read and more noticeable...
                                > Improved ADDON superclass to support using actor background.
                                   just define method def use_actor_background and make it return true.

comparison between bold and not

before
phonestatusview.png

after
phone%20status%20view.png

UPDATE THE DEMO TOO (Still grab the same link... I Love DROPBOX...!)
demo update content:
- EST - PHONE MENU ENGINE v.1.2
- Actor Selection ADDON  v1.1 2013.06.04     > implement bold font.
- Phone Status ADDON  v1.1 2013.06.04     > implement bold font. add configuration what common event executed when
                                                                           pressing enter at status
- Phone Equip ADDON  v1.1 2013.06.05     > implement bold font. add item description window. although if the description
                                                                         too long it will be soo small until hard to read. so if you're using this addon.
                                                                         better make the descriptions short. (support 2 lines)
                                                                      > also rework on the window width and height a little to make it fits more information.
- NEW ADDON - Phone Game End > Basically this recreate the Game End command in default menu. it's easy to make

forgot to mention that Phone Equip ADDON SUPPORT Yanfly Equip Engine... it will scroll below.

also in the demo there's unfinished Phone_Save/Load Addon. that addon is currently still on development. i'll release it in next demo update.

ADDED THE SCREENSHOT AT FIRST POST!

Just learn how to embed picture using dropbox. now it's easier to update picture. no need to fix the link each time i update the picture. :D. Viva drop box!

Edited by estriole

@Binno: Don't know :D. still haven't finished the phone item/skill yet....

but for now you could use http://forums.rpgmak...pam-since-2013/

currently patching the phone engine itself to support new jet mouse script. so the phone is 'touch screen' :D.

but apparently there still some reset bug with the new jet mouse script. hopefully he fix that soon.

EDIT: Updated the script

v1.3 2013.06.06     > Added jet mouse system patch (the newer mouse system not the old one)
                     here's the link: http://www.rpgmakervxace.net/topic/14756-mouse-system/
                     modify the phone addon superclass window to support jet mouse system.
                     if you want to do something when the index is changed by mouse movement.
                     define it in:  def when_mouse_change_index

>DEMO updated.
- NEW ADD ON - Phone Save/Load - Phone system mouse patched
- Phone ADD ON mouse patched

Edited by estriole

updated the script to v1.4

update content:

v1.4 2013.06.18     > modify jet mouse system patch to use aliasing instead so the patch
                     also work for VM simple mouse script. (they use the same update_mouse method)
                     working on the jet mouse system bugfix since no response from jet. almost complete.
                     PUT ALL MOUSE SCRIPT ABOVE THIS SCRIPT !!!!!!!!!!!!
                     > change the superclass for addons to support VLUE mouse script.
                     > automatically set default handler to the addon window :ok and :cancel handler 
                     if the addon writer forgot adding the handler in create_addon_window method.
                     > fix some disposed so not flooding the memory

NOW support NEW JET MOUSE SCRIPT 

NOW support VLUE / VM BASIC MOUSE + ADDON SCRIPT

>DEMO updated.
- Phone script patched to newest version

Demo Updated:

update content.

f12 bugfix to EST - COPY EVENT script. now script -> v.1.2

now the resaved event will be initialized when returning to title or at scene load.

added two new ADDON

- PHONE ITEM - item scene in the phone

- PHONE SKILL - skill scene in the phone

Edited by estriole

Was thinking of a phone's signal stregth would be a good way to block players from saving and not being able to use items or even receive messages.

E.T Can't phone home...no bars!