Dear reader,

In all my years of software I have never come across a glitch this complex, confusing and aggravating.

Recently my uncle gave me a Windows XP computer to put in my room. So I put it up there and hooked it up. Then I decided that I wanted to transfer RPG Maker VX Ace from my Windows 7 to my XP. So I got a USB flash drive, hooked it up to the 7, put all RMVXA files onto it, put it in the XP, transferred everything and installed everything. I loaded my save and immediately play-tested it. At first I heard no sound so I turned up the speakers, still nothing. I was moving around the arrow keys and the menu sound fx was working fine. I started playing the game, still no sound. I checked the script and volume settings and everything was turned up all the way. I went to the music tester and one of the tracks played but the rest of them would not, even though all of the BGMs built in worked as well as the BGSs, MEs and SEs. Also it was recognized as playing but there was no sound.  So I did some research and decided it was a codec problem. So I downloaded the K-Lite codec pack, but to no avail. I started looking for the problem on google but no one has ever had this problem before. I thought my RMVXA was screwed up so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it several times, but to no avail. I still thought that it was a codec problem so I kept looking for codecs. So I decided to use some other advice I got from google and copied my save, deleted the original and loaded the copy. The sound was still not working so I made a new project and imported the song “Dream Weaver†to it and it played just fine. Then I knew that there’s no way it’s a codec problem because the sound was working on the new project. It had to be an issue with that particular project. I decided to test the video I put in the game and it worked fine as well.

So here is the basic breakdown.

-Everything works fine on Windows 7.

-BGM is recognized as playing but there’s no sound.

-The volume was checked and it was turned up all the way, but still no sound.

-BGS, ME and SE work perfectly but BGM won’t play sound.

-One track has sound on the music tester, but not in the actual game.

-Tried copying save and loading copy but failed.

-Tried checking script for volume levels and everything was turned up all the way.

-Pre-Installed BGM works fine but not the ones I put in.

-Installed K-Lite Codec pack and tweaked all settings but still no sound.

-Made a test game and added my own BGM and the sound was working fine.

-The video works fine but the BGM sound doesn’t.

So here are my questions.

1: Has anyone ever had this kind of issue before?

2: Do you think it’s just a bug from loading a save that was made on a newer operating system?

3: Am I screwed?

4: Is there anything I can do to bring back the BGM sound?

Sorry for the long post but I REALLY need help. If you can’t help me could you please send this to all the people you know who have RMVXA? I really could use all the help I can possibly get.

Thanks for reading.

Skibbys, Yes I have but to know avail. Titanhex, Tried that and they were both checked but still no sound. And no this dose not happen on new projects. If you can't help please send this to someone who can. Thanks for the help.

How did you install the game onto your XP system exactly?

Did you simply copy everything onto the flash drive then copied to the new system?

Try making an install exe from the Win 7 one and install the game that way.

(Don't encript it, or you won't be able to edit it on the XP system.)

Since new projects work fine, I think it has to be something with the file management system.

Just something to consider.

Good luck!

HumanNinja, MP3. But the song i put on the new project was mp3 as well, so the format is fine.

Maliki, Yes that is exactly how I put it on the xp. I just don't know how to make an install exe. I'll send you a message if i need any help.

Thanks guys.

HotfireLegend, 1: i don't have an mp3 to ogg converter. 2: the format can't be the problem because the mp3 on the new project worked fine.

The more I think on this, the more I think it's the file system.

Question:  Do you have any other sound files that you added besides the BGM that do not run?

If so, I may be wrong.

If all the RTP sounds play, you need to install the game as I decribed earlier.

(PMed you some instructions)

Maliki, The songs i put in for game over music didn't work either. and ok. HotfireLegend, i don't have internet on the xp. i'll try media human but i'll try Malikis advice first. thanks again.

Maliki, The songs i put in for game over music didn't work either. and ok. HotfireLegend, i don't have internet on the xp. i'll try media human but i'll try Malikis advice first. thanks again.

If not mediahuman, then try Audacity. I use Audacity to convert MP3 to OGG and vice-versa; it's quick, free, and really simple to use. You can even cut up and edit the audio in Audacity if ever you need to do just that. Only problem I've ever had with it is it crashes 30% of the time while using its live recording function. Darnit.

Everyone, I just converted all my BGMs to OGG and everything worked again! Thanks so much. If I ever have a problem i'll come back to the forum for sure.