Emerald

EST - Emerald's Skill Trees

Emerald's Skill Trees
Grow like a tree!!

Current Version: 2.0d

Introduction
Favo old Skill Trees/ Talent Trees are back!! Since there's no 'skill learning' system yet... At least, not that I know of.

Features

• Very customizable
  • Unlimited skills
  • Every skill can have requirements
  • Advanced requirements control
  • Easily change the contents of the info window (ONLY FOR SCRIPTERS)
  • And more!

Screenshot

2gxqm4h.jpgNote: I used the poison state icon as 'arrows'

Scripts

WHEN UPDATING FROM < V2 to V2, BE SURE TO UPDATE THE CONFIG AS WELL. A FEW VARIABLES HAVE BEEN CHANGED IN HOW THEY WORK.
Core Script

Config and Instructions

Add-Ons
Multiple Tabs
Allows you to have multiple tabs in the information window. All instructions are in the script. The standard config creates a tab which will display info of the skill at its next level.
Donwload

Forget Skill by Tree Skills

Allows the script to not only delete skills when their leveled (the previous skills, that is) but also other skills learned in your tree!

Download

All other sections temporarily removed due to BB Code problems!!

Edited by Emerald

Lol :) reminds me Diablo :) luv this one!

Actually skill trees are veeeery reasonable. Quick question – Can I make skills open when two or more skill trees are learned?

@ Knightmare: no problem ;)

@ DJPrichard:

You mean a FULL TREE has been learned? Sure, all you have to know is how many points you can totally spent in that particular tree. Check the SKILL OBJECT requirements for the right requirement type to use ;)

Edited by Emerald

Wow very cool, I have been looking for this for a while!

Is it just me or is it extremely complicated to customize this script?

Also I dont have much experience so I don't know if im doing it wrong, but lets say I level up skill 1 to level 3 the game crashes. (It seems when I try to learn a skill it crashes...)

Finally how do you select or use a custom arrow icon for the arrow icon??

Edited by Ice Nick

Have you changed the configuration? If yes, could you post your current conifg, since that is the most common problem.

As for the arrows, go to section 3 (Objects). When making arrows, the second element (["arrow_object", this one ^^, ...]) should be the icon index of the arrow within the file IconSet.

Have you changed the configuration? If yes, could you post your current conifg, since that is the most common problem.

As for the arrows, go to section 3 (Objects). When making arrows, the second element (["arrow_object", this one ^^, ...]) should be the icon index of the arrow within the file IconSet.

Nope, I did try adding my own skills to be learnt in the tree (i.e: Fire>>>>Fire2) but I made a new game, added your script, added an event that gives you 500 exp so that I would gain a few levels earn some SP then try to spend them. I spent them on first skill, 1,2 times but on the 3rd time it crashed and gave me this error.

Script' 'Skill Tree' line 1113: TypeError Occurred.

no implicit conversion from nil to interger

Emerald I actually figured that part out where the number "18" was the poison icon, but I was wondering can I call my own icon from my own image? I want a real arrow down not a poison icon :(. I have a custom image I want to use rather then IconSet.

Also I have noticed that by allowing the skill on the skill tree to show the description of that skill, my text is cut off. In addition you couldn't really add something like Fire (rank1), upon putting a skill point it will now show Fire (rank 2) +20% base damage... and so on.

Edited by Ice Nick

You can only add arrow graphics by adding them to the IconSet file. This was due to restricting users to 24x24 graphics, and no problems with the names of the files/shorter elements.

For the cutting of descriptions, can't do anything about that. I've made some code though to replace the standard code so that The problem is partially solved (longer strings), but this also has disadvantages. However, if you've got some scripting knowledge you can edit the contents of the information window to your liking.

def refresh
   contents.clear
   # Actor Info
   draw_actor_face(@actor, 0, 0)
   draw_actor_name(@actor, 100, 0)
   draw_actor_level(@actor, 212, 0)
   draw_actor_class(@actor, 100, 24)
   draw_actor_tree_points(@actor, 212, 24)
   draw_actor_current_tree_points(@actor, 100, 48)
   draw_line
   # Skill Info
   @current_skill = $data_skills[@skill_object[1][@actor.est_skill_level(@skill_object, @tree_id)]]
   draw_skill_name(0, 106)
   draw_skill_cost(136, 106)
   draw_skill_level(136, 1130)
   draw_description(0, 154)
   draw_line_2
#    draw_requirements(0, 208)
end

def draw_description(x, y)
   current_line = 0
   text = []
   @current_skill.description.each_line {|line| text[current_line] = line; current_line += 1 }
   draw_text(x, y, 328, 24, text[0])
   draw_text(x, y + 24, 328, 24, text[1])
 end

Edited by Emerald

UPDATE

I've found and solved the problem. I've removed it, and several other bugs so update your version for the script for bugfixes on:

- Description shown in standard information window. It shows some more information now.

- Maxing skills. Skills can now be maxed

- Getting the right skills. Previous learned skills are now removed.

- Some other stuff that I forgot.

Get v0.6 in the OP!

Edited by Emerald

UPDATE

I've found and solved the problem. I've removed it, and several other bugs so update your version for the script for bugfixes on:

- Description shown in standard information window. It shows some more information now.

- Maxing skills. Skills can now be maxed

- Getting the right skills. Previous learned skills are now removed.

- Some other stuff that I forgot.

Get v0.6 in the OP!

Ah thats much better, I was about to give up completely lol.

Unfortunately I have no scripting skills or experience, im trying to learn it but its not going well. I don't think I will be able to set it up as I want, so I guess Im forced to having event skill tree :(.

Also when you learn a skill say Fire (rank1), Fire (rank2), Fire (rank3). It displays the current level and not the next. So if you have Fire(R1) in first tree and you put a point in it, the description will show Fire(R1) and not what should be Fire(R2), only when you get Fire(R2) it shows the description for it, so by leveling up skills in the tree you have no idea what pointing another Skill Point does for you,

What are the things that you want to set-up but can't? I'll see if I can do it for you.

As for the information for the next level skill, I'll try to make an add-on for it.

EDIT

Multiple Tabs Add-On added!!

You can now have multiple tabs of information instead of just one. The standard script includes a tab which shows information of the skill on its next level.

Also, 2 bugs were fixed with updating the information window. Get the new version (0.6b) in the OP!!

Edited by Emerald

Looks great, but I've got a couple of questions. :)

1. Can a character have more than one skill tree? (for example a "Magic" one and a, I dunno, "Sword" one?)

2. Your screenshot has two arrow icons between skills. Could that be changed that to just one, if I wanted?

Thanks for the comment.

1. Go to # SECTION 5 / TREES PER ACTOR. Here's a list of all the constants used there:

actor_id => [identifier_tree_1, identifier_tree_2, identifier_tree_3, name_tree_1, name_tree_2, name_tree_3], (< only use this last comma if it's not the final actor in the list)

The identifier_tree_# must be the name given to a tree in # SECTION 4 / TREES

2. I don't really know how to answer this. Do you mean in case you would want the lower skill in the place of the second "arrow" icon, or just 2 spots used but only one shows an arrow?

In case of the first, the trees are build by using 7 columns per row. In the standard configuration, the "test_tree" has the right build as how it would appear in the game. If you want to have that example skill one row higher, just replace the "arrow_down_end" by "test_skill_2".

In case of the second, you could make two icons (one with the end part of the arrow, one with the head) and add them to the iconset and use their indexes, or you could just remove 1 of the 2 arrow_objects, or you can choose a blank icon for the arrow (although the middle option has practically the same effect, the arrows are just there for the show.)

EDIT

Due to the many questions, I'll make a new instructions section (with pictures) for a more detailed explanation!

Edited by Emerald

Due to the many questions, I'll make a new instructions section (with pictures) for a more detailed explanation!

Ooo nice! Im excited! I think that would be best lol.

UPDATE

I've started work on the better instructions. Section 1 is partially finished, and I'll continue work after I get back from school.

Also, the Multiple Tabs Add-On has been updated!! This update includes bug fixes, so if you're using the add-on, update it!

YET ANOTHER UPDATE

to version 1.0:

• Added LEVEL_DISPLAY_TYPE to the config. You can use this to change the display of the skill level over its icon in the tree. 0 is level not shown. 1 is only current level shown. 2 is current level AND max level shown.
  • Added FIRST_SELECT_ACTOR to the config. If set to true, before entering the screen from the menu, you can select the actor which will be displayed in the scene instead of automatically going to the previous actor.

I think I finally started to understand the script after looking at it for awhile, but a question I have, is I understand you can plug in skills/spells to the tree, but is there a way to include passive stat bonuses? For example, a tree order could be like...

[Atk + 5, (5 ranks)] => [skill] => [HP + 100 (5 ranks)]

So for 1 talent point, the character gets 5 attack, it takes 5 talent points to get 25 Atk, and allows for the skill to be available etc.

That isn't possible, and can be mimicked by making the player learn passive skills (requires a different script, I believe Victor has one).

Heya,

Script looking very good but 2 bugs:

- I just copied the script, leveled up my first two characters (RTP system) two times, leveled up the first actor's first skill 3 times and received the error that ".each is trying to be called for a nil class on line 779" which is:

requirements.each {|requirement|

- My second character has only one tree (I just copied your script), however, sometimes when I open her skill tree menu the cursor at the top is floating above the non-existant second skill tree (for the first character this DOES exist and is called POWAR). Note: Sometimes when I open the first character's skill menu the cursor just floats over POWAR too, even if I never even selected that one before.

Also a demo would be lovely, as I find people (and myself) learn easier from seeing what is already customized than from reading text. Just adding a few more 'arrows' (poison icons?) and skills would be great. Anyway, if not I suppose I can figure it out anyway. :)

Edited by JCA Brugge

You sure you have the latest version? If I ain't mistaking the second bug has been fixed already, so has the first. But I'll look in to it anyways.

Regarding the demo, extra stuff and tutorial in the main post, I'm very busy lately so it will take a lot of time until I can finish these things. The tutorial will cover an in-depth explanation on how to make custom trees, so I'll only make a demo if people need additional help afterwards. I'll try to get the tutorial as fast up as I can.

Section 1 of the Instructions has been finished! The script is updated with a sleight fix to match the insturctions.

I think I'll post the next section of the instructions tommorow as I'm afraid I need to do another BB code removal.... stupid software....

@ JCA Brugge: Update to the new version. One of the two bugs had been solved already, I'll fix the other one.

EDIT

Section 2 added too.

Edited by Emerald