Hello, friends, and welcome to Tutorial Town!

In this (likely weekly) video tutorial series, I will be working through making a game focusing on learning to get as much functionality out of the default product as we can without scripting.  My previous video tutorials have garnered hundreds of views and loads of positive responses, so this feels like the logical next step for me.

I'm happy to answer questions, and I love helping people figure things out!  So, please, stop by, say hello and let's see if we can learn something together.

You are very informative and have a clear voice. I like your idea of making a game in a thirty day period for those who are wanting to test RPG Maker ACE on whether or not if they want to buy the full version.

I am going to keep an eye on your series especially since I am trying not to rely so much on scripts like I used to. :P

I was originally planning for one video a day, but it doesn't look like that's going to be feasible. :(  Children make finding quiet recording time difficult, so it's looking like mondays and fridays for now.  If I can manage it, I would rather it be monday, wednesday and friday.

Still, I'm going to do the best I can, and when I'm done they'll be there for late comers so I'm still aiming for 30 videos.  I've also since found out that the demo is limited in many ways, such as how many events you can make...so you can't really follow along with the demo like I thought you'd be able to.

Next video goes live friday morning and I hope to see you all there!

Episode two is up!  In this part, we start getting the opening cutscene put together.  We set it up so the player can pick their gender, their class, input their name and give them their starting gear.

Please ask questions and give critiques.

Interesting, I am doing much the same, mainly for events. I will be sure to check out your videos, so we don't cover the same thing.

I've been giving this some thought lately, and you know what?  I don't think you should worry about repeating anything others have done.  Over the years I've found that some instructors "speak my language" and others don't...even though other students learn under the second teacher just fine.  Your way of communicating an idea my reach someone I can't.

So, while you may want to be aware of the tutorials I and others have done, you don't need to shoot down all your ideas just because they may be similar (or even the same).

Oh, and hello from across the river in Illinois!

Edited by Redweaver

Here is episode four where we get the clock and calendar put in place.  We are cruising right along!

Next episode is ready for your perusal:

Most of this episode is devoted to switching from the default "save anywhere, anytime" system to save points.

Edited by Redweaver

Episode six:

Introducing on-map/visible encounters!

Moving right along, I present episode seven:

Here we set up the "second day" where the opening conflict is introduced.

Edited by Redweaver

This episode bounces between work on Second Town and the Goblin Cave to the east.  We show off the house maps, put in the shops, make some new monsters and put encounters and chests in place.

Today's episode is all about a rock, a button and a door!  Its more exciting than it sounds, honest.  Give it a watch and find out how to make a common puzzle, a door that only opens when a button is held down.

18th Episode is in editing for tomorrow morning and the 19th is recorded and should be ready for Friday.  The Massive 20th Episode Big Boss Special Extravaganza is right around the corner.  Can you feel the excitement?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.