Tharis

"RGSS3 has stopped working..."

So I thought I had overcome this problem with the character's battlers jamming the RGSS3 system and crashing the game when loading. Currently I am using YEA Battle engine and Symphony together. There are a few Victor Scripts as well as various others but, this only happens at the start of battle when loading the character battler sprites so the only scripts that are in question are YEA and BS (maybe there is an outside influence from another script causing a crash but I can't see that being the case).

I'd also like to point out that this isn't so much an incompatibility issue, or even a normal "script error" it doesn't tell me what line is being effected it just crashes. It also does not happen every single battle only after 2-3 battles sometimes I get lucky and get more out of it before it dies but it's usually very few. This is what is so confusing and frustrating is that if it were a normal script error I would at least have a line to look at as to why it's not working and could ask for a more specific solution to the problem, alas I do not get that option. I know that Fredrick was saying he had an issue similar to this but it just went away, I'm hoping that will happen here but as I have been plagued with this issue now for 3 weeks I'm guessing that won't happen without some extra work.

Something that helped me when I had this issue is Mithran's GOBJ crash debugger

http://pastebin.com/rW9qkbxT

To use with Ace, change the last line to:

load_data("Data/Scripts.rvdata2").each_with_index {|s, i| ScriptNames[i] = s[1] }
Add the script, do some testing of your game and if the error is caused by a global object issue, it will create a .txt file in your project's directory with error details. Looking in the txt file that is created might lead you to a problem in a script that could be causing it.
  • Like 1

ok I will try this and see how it goes, oddly enough as soon as I installed the script it stopped doing it and now only crashes upon exiting the game... so, at least that's an improvement.

usually crash like that is because undisposed things. or creating too many object at same time. but i might be wrong.

does the crash give you any message box popup? (like error 103) or something or it's regular windows program crash (the one with send report to microsoft option)

if the second your window might infected by virus or something like that (it happen to me with vx)

if it's the first... you could try disabling your script one by one until you found which one that caused it. and i still think it's highly because incompatibility. because combination of certain script make things not disposed when it should be disposed. it doesn't give error since there's nothing wrong. but since the undisposed things is too many. it might flood memory and the program close itself to prevent that.... or something like that. not too sure myself.

It appears to be on the normal side of things I regularly run virus scans on my PC and not seeing anything there though I'll keep that in mind. It could very well be that the engine is trying to draw too many objects at once. But so far in the tests I have done after Galv gave me the Debug script to look at potential problems it's only crashing now after I shut down the program.

The issue is directly related to Battle symphony. When disabled, the problem goes away no other script needs to be disabled for this to work. So there is some kind of a conflict somewhere not sure what the deal is but I still have yet to see the game crash from the start of battle after the debug script was added. Now I know the Debug script itself is not a "fix it" just a tool to find out what might be wrong but for whatever reason the addition of it has stemmed the problem enough for the game to actually be testable which is what I was trying to do.

Again I'll keep an eye on it and see what I can find in the future.

Hello there ~~ I tought i was the only one suffering of this since i searched trough our dear friend Google and couldn't find something similar... I have E-X-A-C-T-L-Y the same problem as you, and it's to much coincidence that we got the same scripts... I will test my project without the SymphoriaBS and check out how it goes... I'll comment my results in some minutes.. I want to do this because maybe it could help to find a solution for any user with the same issue. I´ll be right back editing this. 

Edit: 

Sadly is true, is this script the one causing the Bug inside the project... Imagine that i did mine as missed because of this Buggie x)... I wonder.. how could this be fixed?... Seems like we have to change our BS.. This mean i lost a lot of graphics that i made lol (8D).. I'll report if i find something new. 

Edited by OBubblesO

If yanfly's battle engine suffers from game-breaking bugs like this you're kind of stuck.

If it's just yami's battle engine then it's not too bad since yami's still around.

Edited by Tsukihime

Hi there Tsukihime ~~ Luckly the problem isnt in the battle engine, at least for me and i'm also sure that for Tharis is the same. I'll explain myself:

I deleted all the Symphony codes:

Yami Engine Symphony - Battle Symphony (Main Script)
Enemy Character Set (Add-on)
8D/Kaduki Character Set (Add-on)
Holder Battler (Add-on)
Visual Effect (Add-on)

Skill Effect (Add-on) 

But i keep using Yanfly Engine Ace - Ace Battle Engine and it works perfectly now, i mean, there's no crashes, so i'm a 99% sure that the problem is there at Symphony BS.

Edited by OBubblesO

Yeah I didn't even have crashes when I was using VE and Yanfly just when I added Battle symphony. However I have yet to see the problem occur again I will keep testing so far I am 30+ battles and no crashes... maybe it knows Im watching it with the debug script and so it won't crash to save itself from being fixed now haha!

You comment about VE+Yan so i got exited and tried it myself... Pretty good results, so yea, the problem was out there at Symphony... Sadly i must remake a lot of enemies and animations ._. ... I tested already 100+ Battles + Quests + Other scripts and haven't received a simple crash/bug. Hope this Topic help someone else. 

you could report it to yami. i think s/he willing to bugfix that issue.

you could report it to yami. i think s/he willing to bugfix that issue.

As you suggested, i did reported it to s/he. 

Edit: New discovery. 

As i said before i did deleted all the Symphony codes to test out keeping Yanfly Engine Ace - Ace Battle Engine, and guess what?.. Just something that passed for my mind since i have to edit a LOT of anims and enemies.. "...And what if i delete YEA and keep Symphony?" (Incluiding Add-ons) ... Well i did that, removed YEA and keep Symphony... Tested 40+ Battles this way and the system keep running smoothly, no crashes... Personally i want use YEA-ABE in my project.. So when i added it back, the stupid crashes come along again...To test i removed Symphony and added VE again and there's no crash... So what come across my mind is... Maybe an incompatibiity between YEA-Symp.?  

Personal note: I feel like i spelled something wrong. Sorry for my bad grammar and also feel free to correct me.

Edited by OBubblesO

No need to correct on grammar the point of writing is to communicate and that was done fine enough (which is why languages change haha). My problem has still not resurfaced I'm still going on testing and have done a number of battles no problems so I'm not really sure. I can't really call this "solved" as the problem didn't really get solved and I'm not sure if it will come back. For now, I'll still keep an eye on it and see how things progress and if something happens I'll come back here and drop the problem. Thanks for all the help guys the collaboration on this was quite helpful.

There was a guy who ask me about this problem, but I couldn't find or fix any issue because I tried on my computer and it worked really fine ;~;

So can anyone tell me about those things:

1, Does this problem still persist when use Symphony with Mithran's GOBJ crash debugger?

2, Does this problem still persist when use Symphony without YEA - Battle Engine?

Anyway, try to find this in Symphony (around line 1944)

def graphic_changed?
    self.bitmap.nil? || @character_name != @battler.character_name ||
    @character_index != @battler.character_index
  end

and change it to

def graphic_changed?
    @character_name != @battler.character_name ||
    @character_index != @battler.character_index
  end

And tell me if the problem still persist :o

Edited by Yami Sakagami

No need to correct on grammar the point of writing is to communicate and that was done fine enough (which is why languages change haha). My problem has still not resurfaced I'm still going on testing and have done a number of battles no problems so I'm not really sure. I can't really call this "solved" as the problem didn't really get solved and I'm not sure if it will come back. For now, I'll still keep an eye on it and see how things progress and if something happens I'll come back here and drop the problem. Thanks for all the help guys the collaboration on this was quite helpful.

Tharis thanks for understand me. And we are on the same position, i still testing battles, i don't want to be surprised anymore.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yey! Glad that u passed by here Yami... Now that you mention it, i didnt had the script Mithran's GOBJ Crash Debugger ... I just saw the uttility of the script

and added it into my project with your Symphony engine... I did noticed that the crash didnt showed up anymore... But i'm kinda afraid to continue the project in those conditions ... Honestly i stopped when this bug started because it take me a lot of time make the graphics to fit with the Symphony, also the skills... Etc... I was about to leave it untill i saw this topic. Anyways i will continue and if i find something weird i will post again about it. (PD: I haven't edited the section of the script that you specified, it's doing fine right the way it is actually)

Edited by OBubblesO

The problem shifts with the Crash debugger from crashing in battle to crashing when shutting down the game (which in my opinion is a fine spot to have a crash since, who cares?). So the answer would be no it's not quite the same with the crash debugger in place. I have not yet removed YEA battle engine to test and see if Symphony will work without it since I have not had a problem since installing the debug script.

• Like 1

Hmm It's sad that I cannot try and test because my computer didn't get crash ;~;

Anyway, hope that you guys find and change those lines I mentioned above and see if the problem still happens ;~;

If I can come up with something for you to look into with compatibility I'll let you know, for now I wouldn't worry about it unless you start hearing of more people having the same problem. Thanks for looking into this Yami.

Hmm It's sad that I cannot try and test because my computer didn't get crash ;~;

Anyway, hope that you guys find and change those lines I mentioned above and see if the problem still happens ;~;

Try generating lots and lots of bitmaps since the issue seems to be related to hitting the graphic object limit and those objects not being disposed properly.

Not sure if there is a reliable way to reproduce the issue.

The problem shifts with the Crash debugger from crashing in battle to crashing when shutting down the game (which in my opinion is a fine spot to have a crash since, who cares?). So the answer would be no it's not quite the same with the crash debugger in place. I have not yet removed YEA battle engine to test and see if Symphony will work without it since I have not had a problem since installing the debug script.

Exactly the same there.

Yami, i did changed the lines, and the bug persist (As Tharis said, just when shutting down the game). I don't have idea what may cause this now. 

Try generating lots and lots of bitmaps since the issue seems to be related to hitting the graphic object limit and those objects not being disposed properly.

Not sure if there is a reliable way to reproduce the issue.

Mmmmm, maybe is s/he try with the same codes i'm using it could be reproduced. I leave a list of scripts that alterate my BS.

List of scripts: 

Yanfly Engine Ace - Ace Battle Engine v1.22

Yami Engine Symphony - Battle Symphony v1.15

Yami Engine Symphony - Add-on: Skill Effect Tags

Yami Engine Symphony - Add-on: Visual Effect Tags

Yami Engine Symphony - Add-on: Enemy Character Set

Yami Engine Symphony - Add-on: 8D/Kaduki Battlers

MOG - Weather EX (v1.6) 

MOG - Battle Result (1.4)

Syvkal's Menu Bars VXAce

Snow Display MP and TP

Principal

Add-on

Eye Candy

Others

Hello, i dont know if i "necro" this post or not. but if yes, please tell me ~

According to GOBJ console. There is undisposable object at Battle Symphony.

iam track down the source of this problem. and found the problem.

I believe The problem is Object at Battle symphony.

@charset_shadow

My solution is Try to find this in Symphony (around line 114)

BATTLER_SHADOW = true

change it to

BATTLER_SHADOW = false

Dont Forget to Remove Mithran GOBJ after that..

it's work on me, even after shutdown game. it wont crash ~

Edited by gabo