GubiD

GubiD's Tactical Battle System v2.4 for VX Ace

GTBSv2.4 for VX Ace!  

GTBS has been a side project of mine for many years. After deciding to learn scripting all the way back in 2006 so that I could create a game with it. The system is now completely functional in RPG Maker VX Ace. The system boast a number of features including:

• Tactical/Grid based Battle
  • Smart/Configurable AI
  • Note Tag Configuration of MOST options
  • Animated Battler System (Now supports Holder/Minkoff as well as GTBS animated sprites)
  • Action List - A list of actions(movement, icons, screen etc) that should be played when a skill is used
  • Mini Side View Battle Integration 
  • Summons
  • Configurable skill/weapon ranges
  • MGC Layy Meta Engine (3d Isometric) support
  • Many many more!

If you have any questions regarding setup or advanced functions, please start at the FAQ page on the Wiki

If you still cannot find the answer your looking for please visit the Forums to post your question. You can also create new bug reports from the New Issues tab to report it as a bug in GTBS.

Change Log:

v2.4 - Release Notes

Download/Demo

Download from my Dev Website

How to Install

License

Also contained within the download zip file:

The script contained herein known as GTBS is the work of GubiD and a few other contributes, namely MGC/Cowlol.  This script can be used free of charge for all users, including commercial game creators.  This Script(GTBS) requires only that you show credits within the game to GubiD.  If you do plan on selling commercially then it is recommended that you at least donate to the GubiD Scripting Service on Paypal

NOTE: There are other scripts included in this one that may require Commercial Licenses.  Specifically Victor Saints Pop Damage script.  It is required for GTBS to function.

The using of this script in your game is at your own risk.

This script is not without error, but it is has been through months of testing from over 300 users to ensure it is.  If an error is encountered, please post it on my development website under the GTBS project.  There other users or myself can provide answers/solutions to the problems.  Bugs may or may not be fixed when reported. 

Do not post direct links to the downloads files, instead link the page on my website that contain it.  This is the best way to ensure not only that people are receiving the most current copy.  Plus it is courteous to send the traffic my way. 

Known Issues

See the Issues Tab for known or pending reported issues.  You can also use this section to request new features or browse what others have requested. 

Final Notes

Thank you everyone whom helped. The work you have done and assistance you have provided was invaluable. You have helped make this project a success. But have no fear, this is not the end for GTBS. It is merely but another starting point.

Please help Support the project by btn_donate_SM.gif 'ing.

Don't forget to visit the GTBS forums and wiki for installation and other help in regards to GTBS.

Issues reported on this thread will be ignored.  If you want to my attention to the issue, please search and post the issue on my dev website mentioned above in the download link.

Edited by GubiD

Congratulations! This is a major accomplishment and you should be extremely proud. I and, undoubtedly, many others will definitely be using this. Thank you very much for this masterpiece. I'm sure it was worth the wait.

It's amazing that you've finally got this done.  Absolutely freaking love it.

One issue though... I already tried to download it twice, but it continues to throw the error "Failed to load actor data" when I attempt to open the project file.

Edit:  Thank you Gambit.  Problem solved.

It's amazing that you've finally got this done.  Absolutely freaking love it.

One issue though... I already tried to download it twice, but it continues to throw the error "Failed to load actor data" when I attempt to open the project file.

Extract the files from the zip first and then try opening it.

Some things I noticed while playing with the demo:

• The command window seems to always show the down arrow indicating that more commands are available but not visible until you scroll down. This happens even though there are not any more commands.
  • Eric has no skills listed under Special or Magic but if you click on the blank space where a skill would be in either of those categories, he can use Strong Attack (Special) or Heal (Magic) despite the fact that their names do not appear in the window. Edit: After some actors leveled up in battle and learned new skills, those skill names also didn't show up. The descriptions appear in the help window but the name of the skill is not shown.
Edited by Gambit.

I havent had problems with that area in ages. :(

I will take a look and get you a fix. When I do, I will update the demo and let you know.

It is now time to make the leap from XP to Ace. :D

Now only if my fiancee could stop breaking our cars so I could donate the money to awesome people like yourself, rather than the evil auto repairmen.

Ok, the bug with the skill window is now fixed.  For whatever reason I have to explicitly update the window because it doesnt want to do it in the main loop like normal.  

Regardless, the demo has been updated.  If you re-download the latest you should be good. 

GuibID, very good job! I have used both XP and VX versions of your TBS script and this is very good! I will definitely be upgrading my tactical project from VX to ACE using this script. I just have only one request. Would it be possible to add Save in battle feature in the future? This would be extremely useful for making games like Fire Emblem which uses team mode. Anyways, great job!

Thanks.  There is a power outage.  Good thing I still have my phone.  I will get it back up as soon as the power comes back on. :)

Ok, the site is now back up.  Sorry for the downtime. 

Edited by GubiD

It's here on RPGmakervxace.net! Hmm, at least I started my project when it was in early alpha, so now I have a good head start :P.

This is neat, and I just had to try out the demo.

I've noticed an odd glitch... the spider attacked me and then walked away, but after that it just hangs when it shows the Spider's information box, where it lists the HP and MP, etc.

Congratulations, this is just awesome  :D . Here's an omnomberry, to thank you for the effort you've put into this masterpiece:

Omnomberry.png

Also, sorry for not being able to help all the way thorough the beta, medical school exams got in the way.  :unsure: 

However, I've run into what I'm not sure is a bug or an unimplemented feature. That is, when designating an event as "battle_event", they are pass-through in actual battle no matter what, which looks wierd and while easily circumvented in the 2D mode by using tiles instead, it's more problematic in isometric, where they can't be substituted with tiles.

Edited by Naridar

Yep, that is a problem.  It certainly should not be allowing you to walk through events with a graphic that are not marked through.  

Anderson, 

Thanks for reporting that!  I found the problem and have fixed it.  You will need to download the latest version of the demo to see the fix.  For ease sake, I will provide a link for you here:

Download Site

Edited by GubiD

Just one thing: I don't know if it's possible to edit a topic's title, but if yes, I think it would be better to use a full name for the script instead of just an abbreviation - "Gubid's Tactical Battle System Ace" makes it clear to people that it's a TBS, and many users, especially the newcomers to the RPG maker scene might have not heard about or used the previous GTBS-es. It might attract more attention (the hype for a possible TBS was quite large a while ago and it doesn't really seem to reflect on the thread right now). I see that the tags "tactical", and "tbs" are amongst the tags, but I don't think many people read those.

This looks pretty boss. Never used any of the previous incarnations of GTBS but I think it's high time I give it a shot.

lecode, The enemy AI is depending on what they see as their enemies.  If you use a comment code on a neutral event with the following "team=enemy" then that neutral character will be part of the enemy team.  Thus you must kill them in order to win the battle.  This was the best way to force actors to be your enemies that I could think of.  It allows for a much more realistic steal system to be implemented and devised etc.  

Anyway, hopefully that is what your issue is, but if not, then I will need some more information and perhaps a demo to determine the cause of the issue.  If you want to, I am in IRC chat most of the day for my system.  Feel free to drop in and discuss: http://webchat.esper.net/?nick=&channels=GTBS

Neutrals are not required for any fight unless you want them.

If you want to battle actors, then they are required.  They need to be assigned to the enemy team though using comment code on the event: "team=enemy"

The only other reason I can think of would be your win condition.  If the actor you are intended to protect is not on the scene, then you will immediately loose.  

Anyway, hopefully that is what your issue is, but if not, then I will need some more information and perhaps a demo to determine the cause of the issue.  If you want to, I am in IRC chat most of the day for my system.  Feel free to drop in and discuss: http://webchat.esper...=&channels=GTBS

I encountered problems on the last demo.

The first was OK.