noellechan

Female Commanders, Soldiers, and General Actors

115 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was kinda disheartened when I was looking for some female soldiers and commanders graphics. Most of the RTP style things out there (save for personal characters made for people's specific games) are your stereotypical women graphics. Decided to make/edit some myself! All are edited forms of the base RTP graphics.

post-18765-0-03060200-1374992937_thumb.png

post-18765-0-77726800-1374992937_thumb.png

post-18765-0-56376900-1374992958_thumb.png

Edit: Made some battlers to go along with the pics. They're based off the VX battlers.

post-18765-0-36532300-1380495337_thumb.png

post-18765-0-37492500-1380495354_thumb.png

Edit: Made a few more faces. No character sprites attached to this, you'll have to make your own.

post-18765-0-42562700-1375164301_thumb.png

I made little stories attached to each one as I was making 'em.

(top row, left to right: Elise, Rhiannon, Lian

bottom row, left to right: Dalia, Astrid, Johanna)

Elise - A novice red mage who just recently earned her certificate of mastery. She's calm and laid back.

Rhiannon - Legendary martial arts master who was recently called out of retirement. Most underestimate her because of her age and sex.

Lian - Engineer in charge of the flagship of the airship fleet. She often has her head in the guts of the engines trying to modify them.

Dalia - A woman of few words who is well known in the fighting circuit.

Astrid - A new appointee to the royal guard who is eager to prove herself.

Johanna - A paladin of an ancient order who is still striving to right the world, even as she's getting up there in years.

Edit: Female faces of color! Older ladies! Eeeeevil Women!

post-18765-0-93798100-1385431260_thumb.png

post-18765-0-45412000-1385431264_thumb.png

post-18765-0-22847200-1385443838_thumb.png

post-18765-0-00307900-1387177250_thumb.png

Feel free to use my edits in your own projects, just credit me :) (and post in this topic that you're using it)

Any sort of feedback is welcome.

Edited by noellechan

nice... keep it up ^_^ how you edit them is really good. ^_^

Thanks, I was really nervous doing them. I'm not exactly comfortable doing digital only things as my main focus of my art has always been traditional media (watercolor in particular). I can honestly say this was my first time editing things like this so tiny (sprites)!

Those guards are very tomboy like. Which is not really a bad thing. I think I find use for them as a placeholders at least if I choose to add some female guards which would look kind of like that.

Edited by Clord

Face Edits are awesome. My only say on the sprites is to add armor to their torso, I disagree with their exposed torso - Out of preference.

It follows that Armor Bikini Trope, where if a guy were to wear an armor - it's a full on plate armor that covers everything. But if a woman were to wear that same armor, it's just a (harsh-looking) steel bikini. I hope games would stop (over) sexualing women and treating them like items, it's a real shame.

That's just my opinion, good job.

Edited by AJNR

Face Edits are awesome. My only say on the sprites is to add armor to their torso, I disagree with their exposed torso - Out of preference.

It follows that Armor Bikini Trope, where if a guy were to wear an armor - it's a full on plate armor that covers everything. But if a woman were to wear that same armor, it's just a (harsh-looking) steel bikini. I hope games would stop (over) sexualing women and treating them like items, it's a real shame.

That's just my opinion, good job.

I totally agree as well. I ended up using famitsu.com's sprite generator to get the sprites you see. There *isnt'* an armor wearing female that's fully covered. I guess I should go back and edit the sprites (since it's something that bothers me too).

I wish I had a link to it, but there's a strip from "Dork Tower" where during a tabletop RPG a woman is playing and makes her "hot amazon babe" character put on tons of armor. The guys she's playing with aren't happy with it but she doesn't see how a female going around swinging a sword would wear something akin to a chain mail bikini.

Yeah, I ran into that issue when I was creating one of my characters - the Captain of the Royal Guard. Since I'm only good at editing sprites, and not that great at designing heavy armor, I just used the body of one of the male armors from the generator and added her head to it.

Your sprites look great by the way! I love having the option of both male and female guards!

Those sprites and faces look great! I'm just beginning to learn pixel art and editing sprites and tilesets - it's hard! I'm very impressed. Thank you for sharing these, and if I use them in a completed project I will be sure to credit you :)

Real quick to help out with this idea, as I've just been using sprite gens for female soldiers.

Gift_zpsa07ec09f.png

Made a little wounded or sitting down sprite of your female commander based off the male one. Left one has a little more sholderpads under the cape, wasn't sure if that would work or not. And she still has the steel bikini thing. But this should be workable. I'll see if I can't get more wounded sprites to help with this if possible. 

Lian unnerves me honestly, but those old women faces are awesome. When was the last time an actual old woman was an admirable character in an RPG? (And not just a regular woman with white hair).

Edited by AJNR

This has probably been asked many times, but how do you edit your character profiles like that? Do you just use Photoshop or is there a program that can be downloaded? 

Edited by Bear

This has probably been asked many times, but how do you edit your character profiles like that? Do you just use Photoshop or is there a program that can be downloaded? 

I use my old Adobe Photoshop 6.0 to edit these. I'll post a tutorial later as to how I do it.

post-18765-0-83200300-1375399592_thumb.png

Edited by noellechan

Awesome stuff! And badly needed. Now if there were only some darker skinned ones..

Do it yourself!

Try multiplying the skin color with a slightly darker color (because it'll get really dark really quickly). You still retain the shadows and other details.

Using both female soldier and commander characters, and also a few of the soldier/commander faces.  The name of the game is Mang Thiaf Chun, by JABHA Creativity.  In one town, there is a very large archer barracks that is guarded and occupied by only females.

After some consideration and lots of spare time at home (due to injury at work) I made two sets of female faces of color. I started making little bios for each of them but kinda gave up since I was on a roll with Photoshop.

Your comments always make my day ;)

post-18765-0-23820900-1385430911_thumb.png

post-18765-0-88140000-1385430914_thumb.png

Edit: I'm REALLY on a roll tonight. Here's some older women. I tried to make varied professions (soldier, commander, mage, etc) so she's not just "housewife".

post-18765-0-50960900-1385443701_thumb.png

Edited by noellechan

Thanks for the comment Wren! I'm supposed to see the doctor tomorrow to get cleared to go back to work, so till then I can work on more graphics. Anything you'd like to see? I'm still on a creative editing high for these faces.

Wow, you've posted new stuff and they look great. I was debating whether to add another secondary/high-command antagonist to my story and probably will because of this. Her costume is basically your VX-Soldier Edit but with a red cape, slightly different leggings and buckler (with spear). Keep up the great work!

Sorry IRL is being an obstacle.  Good to see you are still making things though.

I will wait mostly patiently until your next update, always nice to see what you come up with.