uDI6iyV.png

Game Title:

Dante's Inferno

Genre: Puzzle, Romance, Non-Commercial, Horror

Warning, contains images of violence, sexually suggestive images, but not together in the same image. Thankfully.

Updates *new

8/19/2013 Update #1:

1. Replaced Screenshot 3, Berm City, to finished map + it's parallax and overlay image

2. Added character bios of 2 character

3. Very Small edits to story line 

4. Added self to list of artists credited for music production

8/19/2013 Update #2

1. Added new title image

8/25/2013 Update # 3

1. Added awesome new title by Kire

2. Finished several maps and their overlay/parallaxes (which shall be posted under screenshots in the coming days)

3. Added new songs to soundtrack. I'll be creating a Soundcloud page for all the music that I make for this project

About the World:

After years and years of pumping toxic fumes into the atmosphere and over-harvesting natural resources, most of Earth's surface has become unlivable/barley livable.

There are four types of zones around the world.

Zone A, the "bubble", where the privileged live. A zones are encased in giant dome "bubbles" that shield them from toxic gasses, as well as pump toxic air and pollution while purifying large amounts of oxygen and air underground using massive facilities. A zones have tight security and only those with the right credentials may enter. Zone B inhabitants, or "undesirables" are usually prohibited from entering. A zones are technologically advanced.

Zone B the "undesirable" are places that are livable, but not enclosed within a "bubble". These areas are very poor, usually slum-like and don't have facilities to purify air. Because of this, B zone inhabitants carry around breath masks in case toxic clouds of gas float by cities. B zones usually have old tech, but some new tech is seen here and there.

Zone C the "desert" are mostly barren wastelands, some ruins, with a small town every few hundred miles. These places are usually unlivable and the small amount of inhabitants rely solely on artificially grown food. Clouds of toxic gasses frequently pass through C zones. Breath masks are advised. Very low grade and old tech are usually found within.

Zone D the "graveyard" are completely unlivable barren, toxic wastes. Deadly gasses are a constant and no one lives within them. Ruins of old cities are abundant and nothing in salvageable.

Story:

In the near future, Dante, the privileged son of Dr. Drako and Emmie Loenthall witnesses his parent's brutal murder at a young age. The images of his parents' killing disturb him greatly and he begins a long spiral down to nothingness, abusing substances and getting mixed up in criminal activity. He is unable to hold a job and everything in his life appears to go wrong. He is haunted by the things he's seen and images frequently flash inside his head. One place he can always temporarily find work is at the lab where his father used to work. Dr. Kleppman oversees the up keeping of the lab, Hydyn Ind., and approves all projects and research. He was a personal friend of his father's. Soon, however, Dante learns why his parents were murdered whilst he is working in the laboratory. Suddenly, the alarm is sounded and doors, gates and hallways are locked down when several of the lab's test subjects and creations are let loose by something or someone. After after escaping the facility, more questions arise and it appears as if there is more to his parents murder than he found. Pursuing his first lead turns up a dead end. As does the second, and the third. At a job interview, Dante meets Ayra and is instantly drawn to her. After several more events, Dante starts working as a private investigator and a consultant for the Police as he is hyper observant and extremely smart. He works to find the reason why his parents were murdered and what actually happened in the laboratory. Along the way, many horrific and terrible events take place, waning on his psychological health.

*Note: There will be no "battle" as there will be running from things that will kill you instead.

What I hope to accomplish: I want to make an engaging, engrossing, interactive and mature puzzle/story that personifies my thoughts and observations about human psychology, despair and denial. I want to make you question the decisions you make in the game as difficult choice after choice will significantly change the outcome of the story. I want you to try and see things from the perspective of someone is not psychologically upright and feel sorry for him as he stumbles through the world, at first, not caring if he lives or dies. By creating this story, hopefully, questions about  psychology and cognition will arise in your mind and you'll ponder them for some time.

Character Bios:

Untitled-6.png?t=1375013971

Dante Loenthall: After witnessing the aftermath of his parents' murder, Dante becomes disturbed. At age 18, he sells his parents' manor house and blows it parties, drugs and alcohol. By age 25, he is living in a run down apartment in Downtown Berm City, WA. Although graduating with an bachelors degree a year earlier, he cannot find a job, though extremely intelligent with an IQ of 164. Money is very tight. He has student loans, bad habits and his rent is overdue. While working at the lab where his father worked, he discovers something about his father's past that sheds some light on his murder. After escaping the lab when test subjects are let loose, he meets Ayra at a job interview, the two are drawn together. After becoming a consultant and a private investigator, he works to find the reason why his parents were murdered and what actually happened in the laboratory.

Untitled-5.png?t=1375013972

Ayra Van Alstine:  Daughter of Joseph Van Alstine, a wealthy nobleman from inside the "bubble". After getting in an argument with her father, Ayra fled home and settled in Berm City where she works as an accountant. Ayra and Dante meet as he drops off an application at Globe Corp. Ayra becomes Dante's bright light in a dark cave and his symbol for hope, reminding him that the world isn't completely bad as she attempts to help him through his own personal hell.

Dr.png?t=1376899119

Dr. Richard Kleppman: Dr. Drako Loenthall's assistant and successor. Kleppman took over the position of chief overseer after Drako's murder. He is now responsible for over 60% of Hydyn Ind.'s projects and owns 20% of it's assets.

RaphujioBenedictFace.png

Hn. Raphujio Benedict: A wealthy bureaucrat who lives inside "the bubble". He is well connected and has ties to Tachyon Corp., a well known competitor of Hydyn Ind.

Screenshots: WARNING, CONTAINS IMAGES SOME READERS MAY FIND UNSUITABLE. This is going to be a horror game, after all.

Murder Scene 1

Screenshot1375009603386841.png?t=1375010

Murder Scene 2

Screenshot1375009703199550.png?t=1375010

Berm City *Updated; finish + parallax map*

BermCity.jpg

Credits So Far:

Graphical Resources:

Celianna for tilesets - Futuristic tilesets pack and tilesets uploaded to RMVXACE.net

Celianna for various other graphics, cars, doors

Narvils on deviantart.com for title flames: Transparent flame pack by ~narvils on deviantART

Rissquette for various edits...

Script:

Yanfly - Message System and Menu

Victor Sant - Victor Engine Basic Module and Still Paralaxes

Seer UK & OriginalWij - Still Pictures

Galv - Galv's Region Effects

Khas Arcthunder - Khas Awesome Light Effects

Cremno - Screenshot

Tsukihime - Map Screenshot

Sound:

Sounds Effects from www.soundbible.com www.sounddogs.com and www.grsites.com

Sound Effects Uploaders - Mike Koenig, "Marcel", Mark DiAngelo, sounddogs.com

Music Artists - Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Rissquette

Additional Sound Effects - Rissquette

I plan to have an almost completely original soundtrack.

Alpha Trailer:

Edited by Rissquette

Please do not mindlessly bump topics, you are ONLY allowed to bump topics, if updates have been made and it has been 72hrs between your last post, and if so give details of such updates on your post. 

Some quick constructive critism with much opinion...

would change the title to something more 'modern' like just "Dante" or just "Inferno". give it that new reboot modernized hipster feel to it.

Also, being that its an Alpha trailer, i would perfect the cutscene extensively. add emotion balloons or some kind of emotional display rather than leaving it all through text. the discovery of the 'two things' didn't feel real to me though i can tell that you did try. i was expecting that Dante was dreaming when he was repeating 'wake up'. i thought he was saying it to himself because he didn't believe what was happening was reality but then i lost belief in his emotion when i realized he was saying it to someone else.

I truly understand emotion is hard to capture through text alone but if you want this trailer to pull in people it needs to capture emotion, given the theme and context of what we are seeing as we watch.

upon viewing the first of the 'two discoveries' you could change the music drastically (can't remember if you did do this) and then you could also add some screen effects to portray the severity of the situation through the characters eyes. maybe add a slow but constant screen shake, maybe a tint changer, or even a looping stomach-churning bgs. just something to convey the idea that the main characters sanity is taking much stress at those moments.

The panning. display of Berm City could use some polishing. focus on unique buildings or paths rather than what seems to be just random map showcasing . the parts you did focus on may have been important in the game but to the first time viewers, that are you audience, we don't know they are important and just looks like random camera movement that goes on a few seconds too long. the paths that the camera does take could be fleshed out a bit more swell. specifically the part where you showcase the hospital. there is the reoccuring pause in the beginning (which seems unnecessary) then the camera moves up one tile, then over a few. i would get rid of that "up one tile" part, as it seems slunk, and just make it all one diagonal flow.

Sorry if this seemed harsh in anyway. im only trying to help you with the parts i dwelt could use work. you did ask what we thought of the trailer after all ;P

Also, i do believe the project has potential. it was one that actually took the time out to comment on and that is saying a lot coming from someone like me who will almost skip over any project that i see a lick of rtp in. shallow, i know, but you have caught my interest. keep up the good work and good luck.

edit> oops... just noticed i confused yiure project with one i saw before it. it looks like you didn't as what we thought about the trailer. i apologize :P :p :P

ah well, hope you wanted constructive criticism anyway. good work on this all, by the way.

Edited by polidoro

Please do not mindlessly bump topics, you are ONLY allowed to bump topics, if updates have been made and it has been 72hrs between your last post, and if so give details of such updates on your post. 

No problem, I thought the only condition was after 72 hours of my last post. I've updated now and stated it.

Some quick constructive critism with much opinion...

would change the title to something more 'modern' like just "Dante" or just "Inferno". give it that new reboot modernized hipster feel to it.

Also, being that its an Alpha trailer, i would perfect the cutscene extensively. add emotion balloons or some kind of emotional display rather than leaving it all through text. the discovery of the 'two things' didn't feel real to me though i can tell that you did try. i was expecting that Dante was dreaming when he was repeating 'wake up'. i thought he was saying it to himself because he didn't believe what was happening was reality but then i lost belief in his emotion when i realized he was saying it to someone else.

I truly understand emotion is hard to capture through text alone but if you want this trailer to pull in people it needs to capture emotion, given the theme and context of what we are seeing as we watch.

upon viewing the first of the 'two discoveries' you could change the music drastically (can't remember if you did do this) and then you could also add some screen effects to portray the severity of the situation through the characters eyes. maybe add a slow but constant screen shake, maybe a tint changer, or even a looping stomach-churning bgs. just something to convey the idea that the main characters sanity is taking much stress at those moments.

The panning. display of Berm City could use some polishing. focus on unique buildings or paths rather than what seems to be just random map showcasing . the parts you did focus on may have been important in the game but to the first time viewers, that are you audience, we don't know they are important and just looks like random camera movement that goes on a few seconds too long. the paths that the camera does take could be fleshed out a bit more swell. specifically the part where you showcase the hospital. there is the reoccuring pause in the beginning (which seems unnecessary) then the camera moves up one tile, then over a few. i would get rid of that "up one tile" part, as it seems slunk, and just make it all one diagonal flow.

Sorry if this seemed harsh in anyway. im only trying to help you with the parts i dwelt could use work. you did ask what we thought of the trailer after all ;P

Also, i do believe the project has potential. it was one that actually took the time out to comment on and that is saying a lot coming from someone like me who will almost skip over any project that i see a lick of rtp in. shallow, i know, but you have caught my interest. keep up the good work and good luck.

edit> oops... just noticed i confused yiure project with one i saw before it. it looks like you didn't as what we thought about the trailer. i apologize :P :P :P

ah well, hope you wanted constructive criticism anyway. good work on this all, by the way.

Hey thanks for your feedback :) and don't worry about being harsh, please, be as harsh as you can. It's nice to have a detailed reply on someone else's observations, you caught a lot of things I overlooked.

I like your idea of adding a modern flare to the name. If I had to pick, it would be just "Inferno".  As for the cutscene, I do agree it needs a lot of work. Emotion is hard to capture within text and I was planning on adding different face graphics throughout the dialogue to show the progression of shock and emotion as well as certain panicked vocalizing sound effects. I was going to add a slight screen shake like you said, but I have an overlaying image on the map that won't shake with the screen, it stays still, so sadly I can add that effect... For the trailer, well effort was spared upon it and it will be updated in the near future. I used the crude method of moving an invisible player across the screen. (haha)

Thanks again for your observations and constructive criticism. I'm glad you think my project has potential  :D 

Thanks for not taking my 4am rant offensive.

That screen shake problem sucks a bit. i wonder if you mess with the z-depth of the overlay, will it eventually catch the shake??? i know there is a great script out there with multiple screen effects like a better shake, a wave-trippy haze, a portal type zoom feature, all sorts of neat effects. there may be an option to affect pictures aswell. sadly i don't have the link to it on me and navigating around on this smart phone is ass. but i think if you search for 'map effects' or 'screen effects' you should be able to find it. it has a great video in the first post explaining all the different styles you can use. might be worth looking into.

Ps> i couldn't find the script i was looking for Xp but i did find one that will fix your issue :D

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/4473-xs-image-shake/

Edited by polidoro

No problem, I thought the only condition was after 72 hours of my last post. I've updated now and stated it.

72 hours is correct, for the most part, but most forums will have specifics about what sort of bump is allowed (always check the rules pinned in each forum first). For game topics it's best to have an update to make to the project before bumping, since there may not have been enough info previously to provide much feedback on, and it shows people you are actually working on the project, since we've had a few topics go untouched.

In any case, a game based on Dante's Inferno, with modern touches, you've got my attention. The city mapping is very well designed, but the white building about 5/6 of the way down towards the right looks out of place.

Thanks for not taking my 4am rant offensive.

That screen shake problem sucks a bit. i wonder if you mess with the z-depth of the overlay, will it eventually catch the shake??? i know there is a great script out there with multiple screen effects like a better shake, a wave-trippy haze, a portal type zoom feature, all sorts of neat effects. there may be an option to affect pictures aswell. sadly i don't have the link to it on me and navigating around on this smart phone is ass. but i think if you search for 'map effects' or 'screen effects' you should be able to find it. it has a great video in the first post explaining all the different styles you can use. might be worth looking into.

Ps> i couldn't find the script i was looking for Xp but i did find one that will fix your issue :D

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/4473-xs-image-shake/

Wow thanks for that. I've managed to get the image to shake with the screen after I activate a switch. Only for one map though, but I won't be using it all the time so no worries  :)

72 hours is correct, for the most part, but most forums will have specifics about what sort of bump is allowed (always check the rules pinned in each forum first). For game topics it's best to have an update to make to the project before bumping, since there may not have been enough info previously to provide much feedback on, and it shows people you are actually working on the project, since we've had a few topics go untouched.

In any case, a game based on Dante's Inferno, with modern touches, you've got my attention. The city mapping is very well designed, but the white building about 5/6 of the way down towards the right looks out of place.

Alright, I'll be sure to be more through next time. Also, thanks a lot for taking an interest, it's good for my "yes I can" attitude. And you're right, the building does look out of place, but it's supposed to. It is a police station and I wanted to use it to point out that facilities run by the government are kept up but the houses and residential quarters are not and therefore show that the government doesn't much care for the undesirables as they won't use any funds to renovate or keep up to living areas for those who are outside of the "bubble(s)". I want to show that the world Dante lives in is a cruel and terrible place to live in, not just because it's a toxic wasteland, but because there is much corruption in the government and nobody really cares what happens to those who live in the B zones. Unless they attract the attention of the law that is.

Not sure if I am allowed to post this, but I have some bad news. Recently I bought a new computer chassis and while installing my hardware into the new case my hard drives shorted out. None of my data was backed up online and everything, my music, rpg maker file, gimp and photoshop art are not on any other drives and may be lost :( my drives were striped and running on RAID 0 so I'm not sure if the DATA Center I take it to will be able to recover anything.

Almost everything I've worked hard on and every productive thing I've done may be gone forever, so obviously this is disconcerting. Dante's Inferno will eventually be completed even if nothing is recovered, but it will set me back several months :/ just a heads up that it may be many weeks before I have something new to share.

Edited by Rissquette

If i still drank alcohol i would pour some of my next 40 out onto the ground for Dante... that's horrible man. im real sorry to hear. i had a data-loosing situation occur to me a couple months ago and even though i only had less than 1% of my project lost, i still cried myself to sleep every night while my comp was out of commission. i feel for you buddy. good luck gaining momentum again. we'll all be waiting for you patiently.

If i still drank alcohol i would pour some of my next 40 out onto the ground for Dante... that's horrible man. im real sorry to hear. i had a data-loosing situation occur to me a couple months ago and even though i only had less than 1% of my project lost, i still cried myself to sleep every night while my comp was out of commission. i feel for you buddy. good luck gaining momentum again. we'll all be waiting for you patiently.

Just got an initial quote for RAID 0 recovery; 800-3900 USD...

*Edit: It could actually end up being in the lower 1000s reigon, depending on the damage it sustained and the amount of files I want to retrieve so lets see what they say when I send it in for diagnostics,

On another note, I was going to wait til later to say, but I've commisioned an artist to produce comic style artwork, meaning better portraits and dynamicly drawn cutscenes. By using full images as some of the cutscenes, I hope to better capture the emotions of the characters.

Edited by Rissquette

That sucks man, but don't let it dishearten you or hinder your efforts. You have no idea how common this sort of problem is, before you re-start your work though it's best to spend some time working on a proper back-up plan. When I was much younger, I invested nearly a year in to making a demo which had 20+ hours gameplay only to accidentally spill my drink over the laptop I was creating it on - lost forever. To add insult to injury, the site I had a backup copy uploaded to decided to shut down around that time, meaning I lost my only backup as well.

Awwww...bummer D':  Don't give up! Like Polidoro said, we're all still here, and I think the idea of a very psychologically-rooted game is so much deeper than many of the games today. We'll wait as long as you require. :)

Thank you all for your kind words :) I should be getting the results from the data center anyday now, so hopefully it will all work out. Even though my computer died, I've actually still been working on the project in other ways. New portraits will be up soon and I may even have animated cutscenes in the final version.

Story tweaks are what I've mostly been working on/thinking about. I'm not sure how much spirituality I want to incorporate into the game. The original poem by Dante Alighieri has a lot of spirituality in it, as it is a tale of Dantes journey through Hell. I could not involve spirituality and tell a tale just about Hell on Earth, or I could add several connections to the spiritual world. (Objectively, of course and completely fantastic eg. having to do with fantasy) Such as evil spirits, demons, etc. interfering with certain events in Dante's existance because of his life style, or with other characters as they search for knowledge that they should not know.

I'm not totally certain which spiritual elements I would add if I decided to include them, but if I do add them, would people want those elements in the game? Let me know if that's something you'd rather not see in the game.

Hmm. I think that subtle reference to the spiritual elements of The Divine Comedy could be helpful, but I don't know if it would appeal to all people, or most people. (Surely not everyone who is going to play this game has read such.) Fantasy elements would probably be better than direct references. :)

Hmm. I think that subtle reference to the spiritual elements of The Divine Comedy could be helpful, but I don't know if it would appeal to all people, or most people. (Surely not everyone who is going to play this game has read such.) Fantasy elements would probably be better than direct references. :)

Thanks for the input. I wasn't planning on making direct references to anything as those particular elements could be rather offensive to some. I've reached an initial conclusion about how I will render this project with fastastical, (which I shall euphemise to)---'unholly' elements: using phantasmagoric components. I like the idea of juxtaposing reality and Dante's hallucinations/visions/dreams/visitations/dark thoughts---or whatever I choose, with a bit of light, happiness and hope. So far, this is one cocktail of a story... which may need some dumbing down. Only thing is, I haven't been able to work on it and experiment with what I've thought up since my computer is KIA.

On another note, some art that will be used in the actual game shall be uploaded to this thread in a week or two.

At long last, I am back! Took long enough for me to get back on my feet, and unfortunatley, I will have to start my project over :/ it's a drag, but I am deffinetley going to finish it. That artist I said I commissioned said to expect art from her in a week or two, and I'm hopefull that it will come. (even though I said that a while ago...) Should be 4 portraits, facesets and 2 or 3 cutscene slides. Thanks for being patient with me and my technology failure!

Start over :'o Aww, that's really a shame. Good luck--I know how hard it is to restart a project that you've been working on!

Yes, it's quite a shame :( kinda bad for morale. Just means I probably wont do a full release until late 2014... but at least there shall be ART!!!

Yes, art is good ^-^ Is there any way to recover at least part of your files? (I don't know how much you lost or if you backed it up or anything, however.) 

So far theres no way... Usually I keep a backup flashdrive but I didn't feel the need to at that time. The data recover center said they'd slower try to recover data from it as an after-work kind of project. It's been over a month and I've heard nothing from them, so I may just end up calling them in a few days.

That might be the best :\ If you had just a little bit of work done than it might be worth starting over afresh, but if you already got lots done, trying to recover your files is a good option.