Introduction

After finding the excellent Script Disabler (http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/3687-script-disabler/) by TDS, I wrote my own version that handles my needs slightly better - as you can disable random single scripts a lot easier.

Simply place this script above all your own scripts (it can't interfere with anything accidentally), and then any scripts you want to disable simply put a # in front of the script name (you know - like a Ruby comment  ;) ).

The position for the script still exists, but the script content itself is blank - this means you can still debug other scripts properly, and it only needs a single character change to enable them again.

http://pastebin.com/bH3hLEMw

Screenshot

uOlPiaH.png?1

I was confused at why this would be useful at all. But then I kept reading what it did, and it suddenly made a lot more sense! I don't think I'll be using it, but this is a good idea! A lot easier than cutting and pasting scripts from one project to another, just to debug scripts. Kudos! :)

Nice. I've just gotten in the habit of putting an 'if true' at the beginning of the script and double ending it to turn scripts on and off. This seems to be a little more, elegant solution.

9 hours ago, RedRose.190 said:

it would be nice if the script had an on/off switch... 

That would be dangerous and probably cause your game to crash.

Turning the script off when it was used to disable other scripts, may cause the disabled scripts to start running and then you could get an error since none of the data for the script was initialized.

21 hours ago, roninator2 said:

That would be dangerous and probably cause your game to crash.

Turning the script off when it was used to disable other scripts, may cause the disabled scripts to start running and then you could get an error since none of the data for the script was initialized.

Wouldn't work anyway, at least not as the game is runnning. One thing about Ruby is that all Ruby actually sees is a list of commands. Scripts are just a list of commands that Ruby runs as the game loads. There isn't any way to 'unrun' a script. The thing this script does is interrupt Ruby before it runs scripts and runs them it's own way. If you want to turn things on and off in the middle of a game you basically need to do a temp save, spawn a new copy of the game process, and then load the temp save as the new process starts.

And yeah, the game could crash if none of the data for the script was initialized, but that will happen with saved games anyway unless the script is coded to prevent that. Personally I prefer to 'initialize' things using ||= rather then using the initialize method most of the time, as it both prevents crashes and allows me to initialize something only where I actually use it.

Edited by Kayzee