PabloNeirotti

Unveil — Survival Simulator (Now Moddable)

thread-header.png

Get Unveil on Steam

fishing-time.jpg

Summary

Experience Survival in it's purest form. Unveil delivers

a rich recreation of Nature with a deep simulation

of Weather, Body, Flora & Fauna, Fire and more.

trap.jpg

Energy preservation

Every object you pick up, every tool you craft, or even shivering to low temperatures, will consume Energy.
Fish, trap or harvest food to ingest and recover Energy. Some nourishments must be cooked to become edible.
You can survive without eating for many days. But you can't survive with no energy left to move forward.

water-containers.jpg

Hydration

Your body spends water to function, but also to sweat for dissipation to cool you off on hot environments.
Rehydrate by drinking water off ponds, coconuts, collected rain water, and many more creative ways to find water.
As you dehydrate, your body will fail to cool you off and, if it runs out of water to function, it will shut down.

crafting.jpg

Body Temperature

High temperatures result in higher hydration loss from sweating, while low temperatures can cause sickness.
Take baths to cool your body off, or start a campfire to warm up.
Craft coats to protect from rain, or preserve your body temperature.
Failing to cool off leads to a heat stroke, from which you may only wake up if your body cools off before dehydrating.
Extreme cold temperatures cause hypothermia, disabling your body from proper functioning and eventually leading to death.

Latest Developer Log Episode

September 30th 2015

Watch all videos at: https://www.youtube.com/UnveilGame

Edited by PabloNeirotti

Ooh, that battle script is simply gorgeous~ *sighs*

I like the day/night cycle, and I like the time in the corner of your menu. Is that playing time, or literally the time in-game? :)

Ooh, that battle script is simply gorgeous~ *sighs*

I like the day/night cycle, and I like the time in the corner of your menu. Is that playing time, or literally the time in-game? :)

Hey Tsarmina! Thanks for that :). I really want each battle to be interesting. Every one of them.

The time in the corner is the in-game time. A whole day goes through in about… 5 minutes of real life. I still have to tweak this though!

I loooove your design in the game! everything looks so clean and perfect! I like the idea of your story of "survival" on an island, very Cast Away and Lord of the Flies-esque! I like!

Good luck! I look forward to this :)

How much of an impact does weather have on the player? Since you mentioned predicting the weather it makes me think there are possible negative effects to it. It would be cool to have to pay attention to temperatures and dress accordingly, or the possibility of catching a cold in the rain.

I loooove your design in the game! everything looks so clean and perfect! I like the idea of your story of "survival" on an island, very Cast Away and Lord of the Flies-esque! I like!

Good luck! I look forward to this :)

Thank you! Since I was 10 I wanted to make a game like this. 14 years later, about time, right? Always been into cast away / survival (zombie-free) kind of adventures for the games I played.

How much of an impact does weather have on the player? Since you mentioned predicting the weather it makes me think there are possible negative effects to it. It would be cool to have to pay attention to temperatures and dress accordingly, or the possibility of catching a cold in the rain.

Indeed!

So, along most areas the user will play, the island remains a very humid environment, because of the water vaporization during the day. At night, it remains humid with no heat source, so it becomes very cold. (hint: campfires are heat sources, once you figure out how to make one).

Humidity, rain and wind are (from least to worse) temperature dissipators in the simulation. The more of all this you got, the faster your temperature will dissipate, eventually crossing the "zero heat" threshold, and catching a Sickness starlet, which cripples in many ways your battle performance. It can make it easier for you to end up dying, but it can't kill you alone.

Sickness is a time-dependant statlet (just like Wounded) and it's duration is increased by staying below the "zero heat" threshold. You need to find or create heat sources (some are more effective than other) to be back into a safe corporal temperature.

The better you can predict weather, the better you can plan your adventures and set exploration times from one shelter to another.

Now, rain changes world mechanics. Some things can only be done when it is, or when it is not, raining. This delivers to the user different game conditions and objectives that are otherwise unavailable.

There will be more features, such as thunders, using rain to replenish water containers, heavy clothing, etc… That will rely on these simple conditions.

Hope that explains a bit of weather :D thank you for the question!

That sounds really awesome. I tried pulling off a game like this back in VX, the workload was crazy. I haven't exactly thrown the game away though.

But this seems to be a really fun game so I wish you the best of luck with it.

I am proud to announce that the weather simulation is now stable. Additionally, I am concurrently working on the representation of weather (wind to speed of air particles, cloud formation to cloud shadows on landscape, etc…).

It is really exciting to see simulation being a live artist painting and taking control of the view.

Furthermore, I've been working on some mind blowing tools that I need for story telling.

I will make a video either this week or next showing the progress.

See ya soon, RPG Makers and Players! :D

Edited by PabloNeirotti

Ooh, still working well, I see! :) (But arggghhh, facegens T-T Why, why, why!?) 

Ahem. I didn't say anything...

I like your stats and abilities, states, etc. Campfires, huh? (I would totally be horrible...)

Ooh, still working well, I see! :) (But arggghhh, facegens T-T Why, why, why!?) 

Ahem. I didn't say anything...

I like your stats and abilities, states, etc. Campfires, huh? (I would totally be horrible...)

Haha :D

Campfires will be implemented as they are a key mechanic within the game. It's both a light and heat source.

I've built a strong foundation now. After I make a demo video, I'll move back to level design :)

Developer log Ep 1: Weather Simulation

To put a closure to this topic (although I'll keep on tweaking it), here is a demo video explaining how complex Weather is. And I think I didn't really explain it in depth xD. I wanted to keep it lightweight after all for non-so-technical viewers.

Please watch and let me know what you think :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgDmROTgILg

- - 

As for level design, yea! Each map I make is either made for story telling or for "playing". In those are when level design walks in. It has to be a balanced experience that makes you feel you are always risking and gaining, to keep the player pushed into going forward. If done bad, players may feel over-punished, borded, or find themselves with a steep learning ramp :3.

Cheers! :D

Edited by PabloNeirotti

That's a really cool system you got there. However, I may have gotten a bit confused when you were explaining how it worked. You said that none of it was random and it was "part of the simulation", does that mean everyday has the exact same weather cycle? I think nature should have a small bit of randomness to it. Like it may rain extra long one day, maybe even into the next day. Or you get a couple days of no rain at all. Of course, I may have just misunderstood you.

Also, if your avatar is a picture of you, you look a lot like Tom Cruise.

That's a really cool system you got there. However, I may have gotten a bit confused when you were explaining how it worked. You said that none of it was random and it was "part of the simulation", does that mean everyday has the exact same weather cycle? I think nature should have a small bit of randomness to it. Like it may rain extra long one day, maybe even into the next day. Or you get a couple days of no rain at all. Of course, I may have just misunderstood you.

Also, if your avatar is a picture of you, you look a lot like Tom Cruise.

Hi hiromu! Thanks for watching this and replying =).

Indeed, weather will "feel" random just like in nature. Some rains will be more intense. Sometimes it won't rain for a longer while than others. But just like in physics, nothing is actually random, it's happening and reacting :). And so does this weather. That's what is so cool about it! It feels random, even if there is a complete explanation to why it's raining now and not before or after.

And yes, I am the one in the picture. Thank you! I get that somewhat often :P ha.

Let me know if there is anything else ^^.

Phew! This is exciting :D. Several changes and many fixes since last update. This is a wrap up:

November 5th
- Several improvements in general User Interface, display of combat activity, skill information, map HUD and overall Look & Feel.

- Continued design of two initial maps, and polished previous sections.

- Added some level design features.

- Added states, skills and enemies.

- Overall combat balance.

- Extended Flora & Survival related Statlets (Wounded, Sickness, Antioxidants).

I'll be making a video soon. Hopefully combat and a bit of level design, even if it's still not looking right.

Don't forget to subscribe :D

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCE3OtkaU3yvF6n7jZxuAeMw

Cheers!

Just a small question:

From whom is this great Solo Battle Layout Design you're using there? :D

I designed and implemented it myself! It's mostly implemented now. With animated bars and all (the fact they weren't animated was freaking me out - too hard to keep track of changes that way :P).

I'm a UI/UX designer btw!

1. That battle system looks sweet. The whole project as well. I will definitely follow this.

2. You look like Tom Cruise o.O

1. Thank you! There are Twitter and YouTube links at the end of the original (first) post on this thread :D.

2. I've gotten that! Including on this very same thread :P.

Wow, will definetely keep an eye on this one.

Looks promising, I really like the systems and the story.

Keep it up :).

That is great to hear!

Unfortunately, story is the one thing I don't talk about much because it'd be spoiling it :P. However, I can say this:

For this episode, most of the unveiling of the character is done through dreams, some of which are interactive. Every time you go to sleep (to speed time up, waiting for the sun to raise again), you will have a short dream. Going from the most recent memory to the oldest, while the character progressively understands more of himself and why he is the way he is.

It may not sound relevant but that is key to introduce future game mechanics.

But, that's the story mechanic for this episode only. Following ones (if I ever get there!) will need to use different story mechanics to narrate.

---

Thank you all for your interest so far! ^^

I haven't been updating the change log, but you bet I've been working on the game. Latest additions where an AI system for enemies (with personalities, strategies and counter-strategies) and more more more level design. I will be releasing a video showing off battle once I make the AI robust enough to show you a couple of different personalities on the same enemy type.

Cheers! :D

Really interesting battle system, it also seems to be pretty challenging. From the looks of it, enemies deal quite a bit of damage. How much of an influence will things like Twiggy Fruit for example, be in aiding in battle? Will there be plants or consumable items that can increase your defense or attack for a certain amount of time?

Really interesting battle system, it also seems to be pretty challenging. From the looks of it, enemies deal quite a bit of damage. How much of an influence will things like Twiggy Fruit for example, be in aiding in battle? Will there be plants or consumable items that can increase your defense or attack for a certain amount of time?

Yea! I can afford enemies to be tough and risky because of health replenishing at the end of every battle :D

Indeed, as you explore more and progress in crafting, you'll have access to better consumables. The Twiggy Fruit is tied to survivability, but you may eat a battle-oriented food while outside battle (those will replace each other, as only one per time will be permitted). They will apply different effects; depending on what kind of builds you are going for, you may choose one or another.

Thank you for watching! ^^

Edited by PabloNeirotti