OneCutStudio

Game Concept: You BROKE the game?!

Hello everyone,

One Cut Studio here again with another game idea I had that struck me late last night! I wish to share it with you all to hear your opinions.

So I was thinking about an RPG concept that would be original and fun to play...something outside of the box...something creative. I really liked the idea behind "You Are Not The Hero" where the player takes on the role of the NPC. Which led me to think: What other non-traditional roles could the player role-play? Then it hit me! They could role-play themselves! "You BROKE the Game?!" is a meta-gaming, fourth-wall breaking, puzzle solving RPG.

It starts like this:

The game opens with an ordinary scenario of many typical RPGs. A hero is needed to suppress the evil forces that threaten the kingdom. Danger and treasure await our player as he/she travels the beautiful countryside to be the hero and save the day...the game progresses like a normal RPG...but wait!

Suddenly the real plot of the game hits! The hero encounters "game files" either as a drop from a monster or an event. Strange? There shouldn't be "game files" in the game? A mysterious figure known as "Debug" or "Admin" or whatever emerges from the shadows. He tells our hero that players should not have access to the game's files because knowing about the game while playing it is called "meta-gaming" and that is bad. The mysterious figure offers the hero a choice to delete the "game files": Yes or No. It really doesn't matter what the player chooses because both choices lead to the catastrophic events that "break the game." The "Yes" choice directly causes it and the "No" choice indirectly causes it as the mysterious figure takes the "game files" from the player and deletes them on their behalf. Hence...

"You BROKE the game!?"

Once the "game files" have been deleted, the RPG world in which the player is playing is changed drastically. The music has stopped playing, only to be replaced by irritating static noise. The text is replaced with random characters. The tilesets get switched and the once beautifully mapped areas look glitched and awful. For example, a house keeping its structure, may now look like a bunch of random tiles thrown together that have no relation to each other. The battle system is offline. The character can't talk to NPCs.

Little by little, it is up to the player to restore the game back to its original condition by solving puzzles and finding and repairing pieces of code. It would be interesting to actually teach a little bit of coding to the player through the gameplay using puzzles that seem like finding errors in code.

The text system should be the first to be fixed. Second priority would have to be fixing the background music. That irritating static could be a positive motivator to fix that particular system.

Of course, who is the villain here? Is it the hero? Is it debug? Who broke the game?

The reward waits for the hero when they have successfully fixed the game.

What do you all think?

I like your idea, but I would evolve it and take it slightly further.  Make the player himself feel responsible and really shatter that 4th wall.

Have the PC and NPC turn and address the player when the initial "break" happens.  Have them tell the player its his fault and now its his job to guide them back to a normal world.  This opens the whole  future of the game up for NPCs and PCs berating the actual player and I can see some comical outcomes coming from it. 

I'd be really really careful making maps look glitchy and bad unless its something comical like a tree growing on the roof of a house or fish flying around or something.  Intentionally making maps unplayable and bad will be a fine line to walk indeed and i'd avoid it all together.

Oh my. COOL!! :D That's pretty awesome! I never even thought of something like that, but it would be amazing to play!

A few qualms, since I'm picky like that:

1. What happens after you restore the game? Do you get to play more? What's the rest of the game about? I think I'd feel a little disappointed if I played through a slightly jacked up game(though with a story) and made it all pretty, and then that's just like the end. :\

2. Couldn't the player just cut their audio? No more static for me...(I know I would do that.)

3. Mapping would probably be weird. I mean I suppose you could just create a mixed up tileset and use random maps and switch the tilesets around to make the maps all messed up, but I'd probably be confused and trying to walk through what's actually a wall or something along those lines, simply due to my idiocy. Who knows how many other idiots are out there?

4. Coming off of number 3, I think mapping should be a rather soon thing to fix. Maybe not like top priority (yeah, text comes first), but I think maps are important to the traversable...effect. Unless all the maps turn into big dark gaping holes or galaxies full of stars, I would be super-confused and hope it would clear up...some....

:3 I like this idea! Man, I so wanna steal it T-T

I am going to post another game concept to this forum soon, but before I do that I wanted to know...

what might the incentive be for the player to fix the game? Someone mentioned that it shouldn't be just to play the game and I agree. If this concept is to work, what can I entice the player with?

Hm. Maybe you could actually let the player play the game after they fix it? But that would just be kind of redundant--they fixed a game and played it just to play a fixed game.

Maybe the player would have to go on a huge quest to explore how the files got into the game, and there can be some sort of...I don't know...glitchy thing that's behind it all? And that's the boss?

I feel silly...

nice idea. but i will avoid static sound music. it will be very very Very VEry VERy VERY IRRITATING!!!

instead just mute the sound. and restore it after finishing the quest. or if it's static... don't repeat it too much. play the static sound every 5 - 10 minutes would be acceptable. and no LONG static noise... and the static noise volume must not too high and disturb user too much.

OR... instead above... you could make that static noise as indicator. example the quest ask you to find the glitch in a map. the closer you're to the "glitch" event. the higher the sound of static. kinda like yugioh game but instead of blinking cursor it's static sound. also feel realistic.... :D. i think there's a script that can do that.

Hm. Maybe you could actually let the player play the game after they fix it? But that would just be kind of redundant--they fixed a game and played it just to play a fixed game.

Maybe the player would have to go on a huge quest to explore how the files got into the game, and there can be some sort of...I don't know...glitchy thing that's behind it all? And that's the boss?

I feel silly...

Well that's the idea I was originally going for. The "glitch" was going to be the final boss. The game itself is the quest to restore the game you thought you were going to play. But then what is the pay-off? Playing the supposedly intended game seems like a let down.

I concur. I honestly am not sure, I'm at a loss. Well maybe you find the glitch first to fix the game, and then you have to actually fix the software or hard drive or something so the game doesn't glitch and crash again. Then you can go on an epic journey through an electrical world or something. I don't know. I'm crazy.

I see a lot of comical potential in this game idea. As for motivation and story line, obviously, this Debug guy must be a antagonistic character. I mean, if he hadn't shown up, the files never would have been deleted, yea?

Regarding the motivation to play such a game, I would gladly play it just for the sake of completing it. You could use the harmony of the opposites and despite shattering the fourth wall, insert the player in the story, ie, imagine an npc complaining that he'd rather have the evil empire conquering their city than to live a "glitched" life... if the game universe is interesting (intriguing/funny/enticing) enough, the players will find reasons more than enough to keep on!

EDIT:

As a reward, after fixing the game, the player could hack his own stats to the max and give the evil emperor a beating!

Edited by Sughayyer

Regarding the motivation to play such a game, I would gladly play it just for the sake of completing it. You could use the harmony of the opposites and despite shattering the fourth wall, insert the player in the story, ie, imagine an npc complaining that he'd rather have the evil empire conquering their city than to live a "glitched" life... if the game universe is interesting (intriguing/funny/enticing) enough, the players will find reasons more than enough to keep on!

EDIT:

As a reward, after fixing the game, the player could hack his own stats to the max and give the evil emperor a beating!

Or the Hero... or both at the same time.