Hello RMVXAce Community! This is One Cut Studio. I usually hang around the Resource forums, but I thought it would be nice to post a completed game that I made recently. When I introduced myself to the community I spoke of a game called Angry Birds: Maze Madness. I am pleased to offer that gave for your entertainment now.

One Cut Studio Presents:

cxq92jd.png

Why this game was made:

I made this game for a student of mine that I worked with over the summer. He was highly motivated by anything Angry Birds and any type of computer game. I found an Angry Birds coloring book at a craft store. This coloring book had mazes in it which gave me the inspiration for this game. I decided to make an Angry Birds maze game for him. It took me about three weeks to make this game. Before you criticize the lack of plot and other things this game may lack according to other RPG standards, please keep in mind that this game was made for an 8 year old.

Game Information:

Genre: Maze/puzzle level-based RPG.

Average Game Time: 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Number of levels: 11 (including the training level).

RTP-dependent?: Yes.

Story:

You play as the main character Red from Rovio Entertainment's Angry Bird series. King Pig has captured the rest of your flock and locked each of them away inside separate cages. It is your mission to navigate the mazes filled with traps, puzzles, and hordes of  minion pigs to set free your companions.

Characters:

Red-The protagonist. No back story here. He is the only member of the flock not  captured so the responsibility to save the others lies on him. He is usually the face of the Angry Birds franchise.

Hal-The green, "boomerang" bird.

Chuck-The yellow, speedy bird.

The blues: Blue Jay, Blue Jake, and Blue Jim.

Bomb Bird-The black bird with an explosive personality.

Terence-The red, big-brother bird.

Stella-The pink, cutesy bird.

Matilda-The white, motherly bird.

Mighty Eagle-The master of the skies and ultimate Angry Bird.

Enemies:

Minion Pigs-Green, jelly jerks that gunk you up!

Corporal Pigs-Helmet wearing, hard-nosed punks.

Mustache Pigs-Second in command to the King Pig.

King Pig-The most diabolical pig of all; intelligent, cruel, and hungry for bird eggs.

Gameplay:

Keys/Buttons: Arrow keys to move and the space bar is your interaction key (made to be simple).

There is a training level and 10 game levels. In each level Red has to get a key to unlock his friend's cage, and then set that bird free. At the end of a level, you get that level's score. Your total score at the end of the game will be the combined score from all 10 levels.

Scoring:

• Collecting white eggs awards the player 100 points.

• Collecting golden eggs awards the player 1000 points.

• Finishing the level with a good time awards the player a 1000 point Time Bonus.

• Running into a minion pig will cause a deduction of 100 points.

• Running into a corporal pig will cause a deduction of 250 points.

• Running into a mustache pig will cause a deduction of 1000 points.

Saving and Level Replay:

The game can only be saved from the menu screen.

The game cannot be paused while playing a level.

As of this time, levels cannot be replayed. It is best to open up a prior save to play a level over.

I cannot guarantee that I will re-release this game with re-playable levels.

Credits:

Enterbrain for the RPGMakerVXAce software.

Enterbrain for the RTP graphics, music, and sound.

Yanfly for Yanfly's Engine Ace Slippery Tiles v1.00 script.

Rovio Entertainment for inspiration.

One Cut Studio for the birds, pigs, and misc. sprites.

Screenshots:

From Level 3: "Da' Bomb!"

PRVR3XJ.png

From Level 4: "Birdcatraz"

Y6TWiBK.png

From Level 7: "Water World"

RdDm9O6.png

Download Links:

Download with the RTP:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/f9bzsaiwfiqrpvy/Angry_Birds_Maze_Madness_with_RTP.exe

Download without the RTP:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/jjdqb4rb40iritw/Angry_Birds_Maze_Madness_without_RTP.exe

Known Issues:

Running into a pig while transformed into another graphic (for example when slimed, frozen, or picking up a key) can result in the player becoming invisible. Close game and restart level.

Final Comments:

Thank you if you are still reading this and interested in Angry Birds: Maze Madness. I hope you find it to be an enjoyable quick game to play once or twice. I know that it has some shortcomings as I mentioned above in the gameplay section. If I were to make another version or create a new similar type game I would make it so levels were re-playable and I got some great ideas to add more depth to the scoring system; such as field score modifiers, collectible time bonuses, and music changes depending on the time remaining to complete the level. I appreciate your comments.

Thank you,

-One Cut Studio

Sound interesting enough. I haven't played Angry Birds in forever. The mesh of RTP and retro'ish RTP clashes though. Maybe that's intentional, though. Speaking of which, the retro'ish autotiles looks like they belong to Krokon?

I completely forgot to mention this game, I must say truthfully that I was very surprised at how awesome this game was. The RTP and Retro was abit clash-y at times, but I've gotta say, I actually LiveStreamed this game during the ExtraLife event, if you would like I could upload the stream to Youtube as a Let's Play and review :)

Let me know whether you'd be okay with me uploading my review/LP :)

I'd be more than happy to have you do that. As I said, I made this in about 3 weeks for a student of mine. I was surprised myself at how it came out. If I knew I was going to post it on a site, I probably would have put a little more into the production value. There really is no story line but I don't think it really needs one. I do have to say that I dislike the wooden wall autotile I made for some of the maze walls. It has a cartoony style which I should have carried over to the rest of the map if I wanted to go for that look.

I already have a bunch of ideas if I decide to make another or similar maze game in the future.

Reviews are always welcome. :D

Sound interesting enough. I haven't played Angry Birds in forever. The mesh of RTP and retro'ish RTP clashes though. Maybe that's intentional, though. Speaking of which, the retro'ish autotiles looks like they belong to Krokon?

By retro'ish do you mean the wooden wall auto-tile? I quickly threw that together. When I first created this game I had no intention of posting it. I may revise it in the future and re-release it with some updated graphics. Everything is either made by me or from the RTP.  :)

Edited by OneCutStudio

By retro'ish do you mean the wooden wall auto-tile? I quickly threw that together. When I first created this game I had no intention of posting it. I may revise it in the future and re-release it with some updated graphics. Everything is either made by me or from the RTP.  :)

Gotcha. Krokon did something similar awhile back with the VX RTP, making it more retro-like. I wasn't sure if those were from his or if you were doing your own from the current Ace RTP, or from scratch. It's definitely a nice touch, and I encourage you to make it all that way, if possible.

I feel like I have accomplished a huge feat today as I have finally worked out how to make the levels replayable!!! I have already reworked level 1 and I can play it over as many times as I want for a better score. Even if you scored lower on your current run than a previous run it will save your best score. I have been wracking my brain over this for months and so you may see a Reboot of this game coming sometime in the future...

Amerk gave it a really thorough critique and I hope that the reboot addresses some of the concerns that were mentioned and that I have been wanting to fix with the game.  So stay tuned...