Sign in to follow this  
HavenEdwards

Xenoblade battle system wthout the future changing stuff

Haven here, so I gave up on the thought of a runescape battle system and thought of another one that allows you to fight on map.. im thinking xenoblade and here is a review of the battle system I found on a game review site describing the battle system:

Battles in Xenoblade take place seamlessly on the game map after running into an enemy. When you find a creature, you can target it before battle to display a window full of information, from HP and level to a color that shows how strong the monster is compared to your party (black for total pushovers; red for extremely dangerous adversaries). The window also shows how aggressive the monster is in icon form, revealing whether it'll attack your team on sight or whether it'll join in a battle if other nearby monsters are fighting you.

Once your party gets into a fight, you'll find yourself in control of a single character, with the rest of your team controlled by computer AI and a simple set of player-given orders. As reported earlier, you and your party automatically attack at regular intervals once battle kicks off; your task is to strategically balance these regular attacks with the special moves, or Arts, at each character's disposal. Up to eight of these Arts can be placed into a "battle palette," a set of icons at the bottom of the screen which you use to control the proceedings, and you can modify this palette to your liking when you aren't in battle.

On the top-left corner of the screen is a "party gauge" that gradually fills up as you do things like land critical hits on the enemy. When full, your party will be able to launch a special "chain attack" that freezes enemies in their tracks and grants you damage bonuses and other goodies for a limited time. This gauge also lets you heal characters if they fall in battle, which is important because you lose the fight if the character in your direct control is knocked out.

A couple of unique parameters also add a little spice to the battles. Every monster has a hidden "hatred" parameter that reflects how much of a vendetta it's carrying against each member of your party. This value goes up as your characters attack the enemy or heal each other, and once it reaches a certain point, the creature will start to direct their attacks squarely on the character they hate the most. This is reflected onscreen by a "hate ring" displayed over the party member, and making sure enemies channel their hate towards characters with more defense skill could be an important part of Xenoblade battle strategy.

For their part, your party members carry a "tension" parameter during battle. This figure, reflected in each character's facial portrait on the side of the screen, changes based on which way the tide's turning in battle. Keeping your party's tension level high increases the chance of scoring critical hits, while low-tension characters miss more often.

So that's the review, here is a gameplay tutorial from within the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un3sEk2H20Y

And a gameplay video of a boss battle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwbKr5Z9XGU

Now I don't need voice effects, or flashing animations, and the arts bar at the bottom could be used with a mouse(that would be ideal) or with a set of buttons that act like a secondary arrows like adwx for up down left right(well I guess 2468 on the numpad would work just as well.) and for the whole seeing future, im not interested in that, just the basics of the fight is what im after.

All comments and questions are welcomed, and im getting desperate, is theres something like this already please tell me and no pearl abs and xas is not what im looking for, to many button for skills and items, and I like the auto-battle function....

I know Xenoblade, it's a great WII game that I really enjoyed playing. 
However Xenoblade is a 3D Game and even on the original Game the whole battle system felt a little bit unbalanced.
I remember at the beginning it felt too sluggish and if not the great story I might never finish this game.
I can't imagine that this battle system is going to be easy especially since it is very cooldown related system that doesn't use any mana and has many position related skills.
Not to mention the 2-3 other party member need to be programmed since you can only control one character and can't switch in battle.
The skills would probably also need some programming skills as the "pre made" wouldn't fit.
I doub't there is any chance for this battle system to be created soon by thats just my opinion.
What I'd like to see is the NPC system of Xenoblade. That thing was huge!

see I don't want the cooldown effect, id rather use sp(skill points) instead. and by skills I just mean a simple animation like how normal abs works, I just want the auto fight battles I suppose, and maybe just have skills that increase parameters instead of attacks..... I just thought of it, I could have a auto battle script like how xenoblade is, with a screen that pops up with a set a parameter increasing skills, and just change the animation with weapon ID's so that each weapon has its own feel, animation and stat boosting effects! would that work then?! 

If you're just looking for a battle system that lets you fight on the map, you could use the Map Turn Battle by Victor. It's pretty basic, but it's seamless and makes for a really cool feel not having to transition into a battle scene.
But if you want a more in-depth battle system you could try Schala Battle System (powered by XAS)

Take note, while Schala's battle system allows for much more customization (combined skills, npcs move during combat, etc.) You'll have to do a LOT of setup between XAS battle system, and Schala's.

I'd recommend Victors personally. But that's only if you want a more or less plug and play script, and an on-screen battle system.

T.T im gonna cry, I don't want ANY control over the battles except using skills that only increase your actors parameters like attack defense agility..... and a run option, I want the battles to start by clicking them with the mouse or by touching the enemy. I don't want skills that attack, walking around in the battles or combined skills. just a plain touch enemy > battle starts > you and enemy trade blows > use skills to increase parameters if needed > run from fight and enemy stay on map alive > or kill the enemy which then drops items.... no movement, no attack commands what so ever just a battle system that focuses on parameters and item parameters to determine the outcome of the battle.... I don't want "press X to attack" or anything.... it seems like a battle engine like this should be simple to make... :(

Edited by HavenEdwards

I simply suggested those since you said that you had given up on the runescape-ish battle system. I just wanted to show you that there were some systems out there that could do that whole, battle on map without transitions thing.

Honestly this system sounds very different, so I doubt many people are going to want to use a battle system like this in other projects. So unless a scripter has a lot of time to make a battle system that will most likely only be used by you, chances are it's probably not going to happen. Sorry. But who know's, it might be done. I just wanted to give you some options if no scripters sign up for the task.

I simply suggested those since you said that you had given up on the runescape-ish battle system. I just wanted to show you that there were some systems out there that could do that whole, battle on map without transitions thing.

Honestly this system sounds very different, so I doubt many people are going to want to use a battle system like this in other projects. So unless a scripter has a lot of time to make a battle system that will most likely only be used by you, chances are it's probably not going to happen. Sorry. But who know's, it might be done. I just wanted to give you some options if no scripters sign up for the task.

agree with kevin. most scripter won't make scripts that used exclusively for only one or few person. unless you commission it (on map battle system might cost you more than $200). you might find better luck by commission some scripter to make that script for you. if not... you're stuck with modifying existing free script... :D.

guess you guys are right... could one of the battle engines you guys mention above be altered at all to kinda suit my needs? I guess I could deal with an abs if need be, I just want a flashy one with animations and numbers flying everywhere lol

Well, it may take some work to get it working just like you want it. Most things usually do take a bit of work if you want it to look good. Victors Map Turn Battle System isn't very flashy. It's a pretty simple system. If you'd like a very flashy system with numbers flying around and lots of animations, I'd recommend you go with Falcao Pearl ABS Liquid. It is an ABS, but it's a very in-depth system with lots of customization. So you might be able to get it to work. I'm not going to sugar coat it, you'll probably spend 2-5 or more hours setting up the system. But nothing amazing has ever happened in a hurry. So long as you're willing to read through the instructions and learn what the system can do, you'll be very satisfied. Trust me. You've just got to be patient. Hope that helps.

Well, it may take some work to get it working just like you want it. Most things usually do take a bit of work if you want it to look good. Victors Map Turn Battle System isn't very flashy. It's a pretty simple system. If you'd like a very flashy system with numbers flying around and lots of animations, I'd recommend you go with Falcao Pearl ABS Liquid. It is an ABS, but it's a very in-depth system with lots of customization. So you might be able to get it to work. I'm not going to sugar coat it, you'll probably spend 2-5 or more hours setting up the system. But nothing amazing has ever happened in a hurry. So long as you're willing to read through the instructions and learn what the system can do, you'll be very satisfied. Trust me. You've just got to be patient. Hope that helps.

I didn't want the whole flashy look but I gave Falcao a try, and it's amazing and in depth. Now would it be anyway compatible with a usb controller? stretching a fingers from f to k with one hand while fighting with the other is a little difficult, but besides that it works perfect, I could edit some flashiness out of it easily. 

Thanks frost!

Edited by HavenEdwards

"I just want a flashy one with animations and numbers flying everywhere lol"

"I didn't want the whole flashy look"

Okay....? 

Well I hope that this ABS works out for you.

I doubt that the system would work with a controller because there are so many keys that can be used and have to be used in the system to take control of its full functionality. But it might work. But I'm sure you can rearrange the key bindings to more comfortable positions so you're not stretching your hands across the whole keyboard. Either put the more main keys all together or something, and then lesser used keys other places. Whatever works for you.

yeah, the first sentence you quoted was a typo, and the controller was just an idea, and im mixing yanfly's button common events with it and im seeing great result, thanks again!