The Big RMVXA.Net Community Game

Okay so this is an idea I have been playing around with for a while and someone mentioned it in a status earlier tonight and reminded me about posted this, so I have figured it would be a good idea for everyone on the community to chip in together and make a huge community game together.

I believe we have attempted something similar before but with a lack of interest so I decided we should probably try again and try to give a bit more gusto than those previous attempt's, I mean we have some of the best people in the rmvxa community right here, People who can make events looks like work's of art, people who can make script's look like they were created by someone from the future, people who can make map's look like they were literally painted and were meant to absorb you into the world in it's most literal form.

So why not work together and have a brainstorming session? Work on what could be one of the biggest ever game's and best ever game's to be created using Enterbrain's wonderful tool.

So what I reckon we need is the following and here is the plan I think:-

==> Brainstorming session for story writer's (What happened in the community game world, was it a huge event that could/would change the course of history entirely, was it the death of a king/queen that sent the kingdom into turmoil and a mercenary took over etc.).

==>  Once the foundation is in place we need to discuss memorable features in the game world, Such as monolithic temple's, giant arena's, cities made of gold (literally haha).

==> Then comes the design stage, What scripts will we need? What sort of menu do we want to use? What special features if any do we want in the game? Do we want a normal battle engine or an ABS or SBS etc., Will the game be fully voice acted?

==> Then comes the huge part, The design stage, Mapping, eventing, tutorial section for first time rpg player's, Voice actor's collecting and saying their line's, custom music being created etc., Game website being created to display our game to the world.

==> Then comes the part were we run an Alpha Test to ensure that everything is running smoothly and make sure everything in the game so far make's sense, Does it have the correct feel, is it hitting that niche appeal we were aiming for, does it suite the demographic we want to please? Is this game still a viable option, Bug reports, Fixing any known bugs and error's etc.

==> Design Stage 2, The 2nd stage in the design element doing the same as we were before but with a much clearer direction than in stage 1, Once the foundation is set in stone it should bring everything together nicely.

==> Beta Testing, Fixing any bugs found during Beta, Releasing info to the public that our community game will be launching soon, advertising, website updates, replying to consumer email's etc.

==> Initial Product Release, 1st stage of the game release process, This is the most crucial section as a game will either soar high and ride on the wings of an angel or fall flat on it's face.

==> Patch time, Release a patch to fix any problems that the player's find post release.

Estimated Completion Time:- 18 months ~ 36 Month's

Non/Commercial: TBD

So what does everyone think? Is it viable? Is it a good idea? Should we produce a community game so fantastic it's records will resonate through history like a chariot on fire :oD Post your comments below and let me know what you think :oD

• Like 2

Lol, you're forgetting about the graphics. : p jkjk. But maybe you will want to/ should add at least spriters, or graphic designers.

I'm not necessarily saying this because i like drawing, but i noticed that everything else was listed except things like even spriting, tilesets, or titlescreens, menus, & windowskins.

It just seems kind of odd to overlook those areas, especially since imo sprites and tilesets are very close to being two of the most important things in a game. (o_o)\

----> The majority of the resource quests here are for sprites and tilesets?

Edited by When Bugs Roam Ur House

This sounds awesome. I would be glad to lend my hand. I can make tiles, but my style doesn't really fit with the RTP, Cel's and Luna's tiles or any other well known creators.

I'd be able to draw some characters though.

it's nice if it can be executed properly. but i think this need lots of effort and dedication. not to mention lots of recruiting need to be done.

also need some 'project leader' or a nicer term would be 'moderator' to arrange and make list of what the project expecting community member to do.

ex:

= Script needed =

-> Day Night system

contact xxxxxx for detail / submission (or just explain the detail of the system in spoiler box)

-> One on One Suikoden Duel System

contact xxxxxx for detail / submission

= Charset needed =

-> man with only underwear with some tatoo

contact yyyyy for detail / submission

-> woman with long blue wavy hair wearing priestess robe

contact aaaaaaa for detail / submission

= Map =

-> ruined viking village map.

contact bbbbbb for detail / submission

and so on. it's better if it's categorized and put in spoiler box. so people who like to help with script will open script spoiler and see what he can do.

if this project really made. i will try to help if i have free time. i can script (as long as not as complex as new battle system :P. but i gradually learning)

I'm definitely gonna follow this,my main skills are writing,skill designing and eventing.

I'm an artist (duh, check my RM Skill), and agree with When Bugs Roam Ur House about graphics ^^

I just think it'd be tough to manage. Even if this game developing takes a long time, there are lots of people who don't have much time. Me for example, I do ALL my work on weekends and have other things that demand my attention during the week T-T Also, art styles might not match, ex: Cecillia vs Me vs RTP vs a whole bunch of other people out there who have distinctive styles. Or Celianna's tilesets, which sometimes don't match with the RTP.

If we drag the time out too long, I'm afraid people will start losing interest D': Then again, there should be new people always wanting to join in.

And I believe it will be supremely difficult to decide on amount of characters/personality/plot/maps if too many people join in.

All in all, I really wish this could work. I just don't know if it will >.<

• Like 1

If worse comes to worse,RTP generator + generator add ons for all the characters,Rainbow grenade made some really good stuff.

Edit-

Not sure if it counts for much,but I'm good for basic image editing,and some art,I can also make a support bar once we have enough content for it.Im also good at video editing,so I can probably make a trailer.

Edited by Twilight Sparkle

Yeah, I just don't know how we can juggle this all without dropping it sooner or later D:

Yeah, I just don't know how we can juggle this all without dropping it sooner or later D:

Art is just one aspect of the project,there's still music,writing,design etc..

I absolutely love writing and forming a think tank with other writers on storylines, so do please count me in!

I can help with writing/story development, eventing, mapping (I make pretty decent maps I think) but my weakness is database work.

i think the most important initial step is to figure out why these types of things haven't worked in the past. if possible, review old threads and see what was lacking. it could have very well been a lack of hype around the idea. however, adding flashy graphics and support bars won't keep it alive for ever. i think a big thing would be the projects thread layout. (like stated above)

A sub forum would be great but that may not be a risk the higher-ups would want take. waiting man power on maintaining a possible flop and all :P

focus on structure and foundation above all else. this introductory topic is great to see if anybody bites but im interested to see who stays gun-ho once the very first step of planning begins.

i wish everyone the best of luck. maybe starting small with a quick little 20 minute RTP based project just to see how everything could work, may be a good move. ill be keeping an eye on this one. :D

• Like 1