Progression:

Story: 100%

Maps: 40%

Eventing/Scripting: 35%

Artwork: 65%

Music: 70%

NEW, IMPROVED DEMO! (as of 1/26/2015)

Quick Overview of Demo Changes:

1) Brand new opening. Far more engaging than just a cutscene.

2) Improved dialogue. I overhauled dialogue between Vincent and Liam to make it more natural-sounding.
3) A slightly extended ending to the chapter, which includes something very neat. Won't say what, but let's just say it's unique.
4) I fixed bugs, added a bonus room that has an extra 'scene'. It's the first of many that are incorporated into the game to drop hints and slowly reveal the truth behind the game's mystery. It's optional, and it's located in a spot that was previously blocked off/inaccessible.
5) Did I mention bugs? Yes, even the one with the scary stare-monster. It had to be done.
6) Improved the puzzle that's received the most feedback. It's now easier to understand, and Vincent actually talks about it for once. There's now a visual clue on how to solve it, too.
7) Speaking of Vincent, I've added several more 'clues' in his menu dialogue. He'll be more helpful from now on. Hopefully.
8) Overhauled another scene/event/puzzle to make it more panic-inducing. I felt the game was lacking panic.

WITH RTP (260 mb): Here

WITHOUT RTP* (70 mb): Here

*This version is for those who already own RPG Maker VX Ace, and have the RTP resources. If you don't own the program,

please download the 260mb RTP version, or you will not be able to play.

DEMO ADVICE:

This game is an adventure game, so make sure to explore your surroundings thoroughly. The solution to every puzzle can be found in your surroundings. Also, don't forget to ask Vincent for advice. Sometimes he even says useful things (but don't count on it 100% of the time). Feel free to provide feedback!

---

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J0au0gy.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A teenager awakens to find himself trapped in a surreal dream world called the Daze.. Realizing his little brother needs his help to escape this nightmarish dimension, Liam delves deeper and deeper into the disjointed asylum of insane toys, mutated monsters and mazes. Along the way, he meets an unlikely ally--Vincent the Teddy Bear--and together they brave the bloody,deadly world in search of an escape.

Not all is as it seems. Not everyone is who they think they are. 

S6wxryp.png

Liam Phjb3u5.jpg

An introverted but devoted older brother, Liam is a teenager who wakes up in a horrific, nonsensical dream state called the Daze. Realizing his younger brother is also trapped there, he strikes out to rescue him against all odds.

Vincent twwh8tk.jpg

A green teddy bear who resides in the Daze. He helps Liam navigate the nightmare world. He may seem like a big, cantankerous downer, but he appears to be genuinely interested in the rescue mission. His interests are Vincent Van Gogh and pushing Liam's buttons.

Sam

Liam's ten-year-old brother. Sam is trapped in the Daze, presumably somewhere in its inner depths, and cannot escape without his older brother's help.

Play

"Play" is the name of a girl who speaks to Liam from somewhere inside the Daze. She wishes to escape with the two brothers.

PobHW5Y.pnghFyvaCZ.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EhZOvyO.png

Jam-packed with original artwork, sprites, and edits to create a dark, creepy atmosphere.

-----

More custom-animated ways to die than you can flick a stick at.

-----

Very story-driven, with a healthy balance of warm fuzzies,dramatic gravity, pure terror, and humour.

-----

5 different endings, ranging from Worst, Bad, Normal Good, and Best. Dialogue choices, optional scenes and puzzles will affect the grade of ending.

-----

Tons of unique puzzles, some simple, and some challenging.

-----

99% detailed parallax maps.

-----

p9KvMfz.png

6GVWYAc.gif

Animated parallax beach! A beach in a horror game!?

PEonBGa.jpg

A shot of the animated title screen.

OluLPeB.jpg

Very early game screenshot.

HBK5uQV.jpg

Another early screenshot partially showcasing one of the game's longer puzzles.

QUAB06K.jpg

One more shot of a mostly finished room.

FE7fLr7.jpg

A scene from Chapter 2.

oD19bAO.jpg

Don't let the pretty places fool you, now.

mr4fap9.png

Visuals:

JesseO (Some Modern Tiles)

Celiana (Parallax resources and objects)

Ayene (Parallax resources/objects)

Scripts:

MogHunter

Khas

Zeus81

Hime

Yanfly

modern algebra

Tsukihime (hooray! Label Trigger Events! Follower Movement scripts!)

Nicke

IceDragon

Music/FX:

Aaron Krogh (Game Over music)

FunSoundTube

Other:

Enterbrain (RTP resources and 'Ralph' base for Liam's faceset)

All non-tileset artwork so far (Facesets, Game Over screen image, cutscene images, Title Screen, advertising, character artwork) is fully credited to me.**

** Exception: Liam's face graphic.That is Enterbrain's, and heavy edited.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Message:

Inwards is a moderately scary game with a heartwarming story--one that can go in the right direction, or horribly, horribly wrong. It is entirely based on environment exploration and problem solving, so it is not a survival horror game (no combat). If you are particularly perturbed by all things related to creepy children and toys, then this is definitely recommended for you. 

Huh, you got started on this fast, yeah? :) I would say I love this; unfortunately I'm already overly scared by horror games so, yeah. And your parallax skills are as lovely as ever ^-^

Ey, thanks! Yeah it's been a couple weeks gettin' it this far. If it makes you feel any better, while it is unarguably a horror game, it's a twisted one that comes coupled with genuine warm fuzzy feelins, too. Just play it with the lights on and speakers instead of headphones...and if possible, with a friend nearby. You'll be fiiiiine. 

Nah, I'm good :P I can barely stand creepy dolls sitting on shelves (even if they don't move) in the dark, let alone anything that ACTUALLY counts as horror ^-^" I'm such a scaredy-cat. 

Oh yeah, in the second screenie...what's with that random tree?

Guinea Pig here - Should you have need of a tester for your game at some point I would be willing, I couldn't care less what genre the game is (I will play/test any game if I find it to be interesting).

This looks to be an interesting ride (Can't think of a better word) and I still haven't found a horror game which can truly scare me, skinwalker was the closest so far as it didn't overdo it all with jump-scares everywhere (Jump-scares are too predictable in a horror game nowadays) but it didn't really scare me in any way, just ever so slightly creeped me out.

I may be expecting too much but I've been searching for a horror game which can really scare me properly for years now and I still cannot find such a game amidst all the effectless jump-scare games, the most those games get out of me is an "Here comes the jump-scare." comment (With a sigh) - I can literally predict when it will happen which is all too often, you need not try to achieve this seemingly impossible goal mind you as it's just a personal thing for me.

Anyway the first sentence is the most relevant part of this post, good luck going forward!

@ Tsarmina It really is random, intentionally at that. It looks like a street/back alley scene, but there's a tree popped up growin' out of the pavement. It plays its part--maybe not now, or even for an hour or so, but you're gonna need to remember this weird tree at some point. Along with some other pretty outta place things.

@ Random Nobody Glad to hear it! I could always use more testers, especially those masochistic ones   genuinely interested ones who are looking for a good time. Here's an early warning, since you mentioned it: the first room...ehhh, perhaps 2 rooms are supposed to be predictable. If they're not...well then I failed at predictability and need my head checked and try again. After you get past the first 10 minutes, forget any sense of normalcy. Maybe I'll scare you then. Now there's gonna be jumpscares, of course, but I'm tryin' to set them up where they're not expected usin'...other methods of...distraction. *insane cackl--HACK, HACK, COUGH*

Well only time will tell. And rum. And sleepless nights. Why is the rum always gone...

The scariest part about this game is the fact that the Teddy Bear's name is Vincent, (I crapped my pants there)

Nah joking, the real scariest part is when

You can infinitely evaporate candies and get tongs, I thought the tongue* was attached to the candy, then I realized it was tongs like the tool

The scariest part about this game is the fact that the Teddy Bear's name is Vincent, (I crapped my pants there)

Nah joking, the real scariest part is when

You can infinitely evaporate candies and get tongs, I thought the tongue* was attached to the candy, then I realized it was tongs like the tool

Am I ever going to live this down? Infinite tongs and evaporating candy? This will apparently be inscribed on my tombstone. (The errors related to infinite Tongs and Evaporating Candy have been fixed, by the way.)

^ He means there was infinite evaporating candies and you got tongs from them.

Just one question Erayachi (sounds like a mariachi band)

How do you get that shade of darkness, what I have in my game is the center is lit everything else is dark, but I want all of it to be a bit lighter but an all around dark, and you apparently have that.

BTW Era instead of Lord of The Dance Cowboy, your thingy should say, creator of the game with infinite evaporating candies,

GREAT GAME TOO!

Edited by Jeff-Andonuts

Just one question Erayachi (sounds like a mariachi band)

How do you get that shade of darkness, what I have in my game is the center is lit everything else is dark, but I want all of it to be a bit lighter but an all around dark, and you apparently have that.

It's pretty much the same thing you use, but wide. It's just a 640x480 overlay picture that darkens the edges wherever you walk. 

Whoa, demo out already? :o You REALLY work fast mister O_o

Also upon closer inspection I noticed a couple of stray pixels and clinging lines on the faces, especially Vincent's.

Not a demo, really, it was just unfinished pre-alpha work. Took Obru 30 mins to get through it WITH MY HELPING HINTS (lololol...don't kill me) That's why there were so many bugs with the duplicating Tongs and never-ending evaporating candy (which will make sense when you play xD). Stray pixels? Uh oh. Well around Vincent, those are intentional--they're supposed to be pieces of thread sticking out of him, since he's so ragged, but it looks bad on the background. With Liam, I got no excuse. I'll have to clean that up best I can. Thanks! 

I understand the thread thing, that makes sense. But what I mean is that near the top of the face, between the thread strands poking out of Vincent's head, there are little V-shaped white pixel fringes...of course, this is barely noticeable, but that's what you get for posting them so large :P

Not a demo, really, it was just unfinished pre-alpha work. Took Obru 30 mins to get through it WITH MY HELPING HINTS...

Well honestly I was trying to find ways to kill myself more then I was trying to figure out how to progress (because the death animations are hilarious).

I also probably would've been more efficient and thoughtful about it if there weren't people watching. I was trying to be entertaining at the same time! :P

I should do a LP of Amnesia TDD... would be funny to see people watch me get scared out of my mind, haha

This looks really good, i'm making a horror game myself and i know they're not easy to make. Love the idea of having the teddy as a companion and been in the world of dreams as it were. I think your idea is great and hope it turns out to be a good psychological thrilling game.

Oh man, I love horror puzzle games! Creepy ambiance is perhaps my all-time favorite. This sounds and looks absolutely amazing, and I definitely can't wait to see more as it's totally up my alley.

Not sure if I'm going to jump at the first openly-available demo, or wait until a full release so I don't get spoiled. I guess I'll see how impatient I am when a demo becomes available!

I'm excited to play this! I love when dark/scary adventure games go the psychological and ambient route. They also scare the crap out of me very easily, so that'll be entertaining.

"Where's Laki?"

"Oh she's huddled in a paranoid mass of nerves in front of the computer, one hand on the mouse and the other trying in vain to cover her eyes."