Abstract: Low-Gimmicks Vast Fantasy RPG with large amounts of exploration

Genre: Fantasy RPG

Average Game Time: 25-40+ hours, depending on the amount of optional content seeked 

Story / Setting / Purpose:

One day, after sermon, you realize that your brother Brendan has gone missing. Though you begin this day by searching for your brother, it ends with you finding yourself the target of some strange conspiracy which earns you the ire of the powerful Carillean Kingdom, which seems to believe that you are a dark preacher of the forbidden god, Skiack.  By seeking out supernatural aid, as well as accepting the aid of new friends met along the way, will you be able to prove your innocence and perhaps even get to the bottom of just what is happening in Carille's government?

Enex is basically a Low-Gimmicks RPG. It is simple and the main goal at all points of the game is fun. The focus is on giving the player the feel of being in an expansive world that begs to be explored. Exploring through dungeons is more than simply making your way from point A to point B, but are frequently based around puzzles and almost always contain a dungeon challenge, a minigame which will your test your reflexes to earn your survival!

As another step to prevent the tedium that is so often found in RPG games, all enemies are visible on the map before they are faced. They can be snuck around instead of fought. However, once slain, most monsters do not return. This means that in most cases, the EXP that can be earned has a cap. It is not my intention to encourage "grinding" in this game, as I find the action to be dull and often trivializes the intentionally difficult encounters. One should feel safe to explore and backtrack, with little fear of having to face the same monster in the same place over and over again.

Finally, Enex2 has a large focus on optional content. There are numerous optional (some extremely difficult) bosses, side quests, and minigames to play in order to reward those who enjoy exploring.

Character Bios:

You: 

Proficiency: Swords & Bardic Inspiration

Class: Bard

Hometown: Bedalni

A rather ordinary and calm young adult, you were just interested in living a simple farm life in Bedalni. However, this has all changed and you has been thrust upon a vast and unfamiliar world. 

Farik: 

Proficiency: Bows & Healing Magic

Class: Priest

Hometown: Yibinroh

A virtuous goody-goody religious fanatic of Wa. He tends to be a bit cowardly and wimpy, but is quite the sharpshooter. Though he often complains about the conditions of the adventure, Farik knows he fights in the name of holy Wa and would never disapoint his god.

Theo:

Proficiency: Evocation and Cosmic Arcana

Class: Evoker

Hometown: Salinry

An intelligent and mature companion to Ralla, he seems to follow in Ralla's devious lifestyle, though with objection. Theo rarely gets upset, frightened, or excited and prefers to keep a cool head when disaster strikes. He wishes to do the right thing as much as possible, but seems to be failing due to the negative influence from Ralla. When sharing stolen goods or being convinced by Ralla to perform yet another heist, he reminds himself that not everyone is perfect and tries to view himself as more as a Robin Hood than anything else.

Ralla

Proficiency: Daggers and Bombs

Class: Rogue

Hometown: Salinry

A impulsive and rude theif, Ralla has no reservations against robbing or mugging anyone with enough money. Her first thought is always "I wonder what he/she has to steal from." She almost never thinks of others, but would never abandon her best friend, Theo. She is able to convince him to follow in her schemes only because they do not wish to be seperated. However, it is this for the same reason that Theo is able to drag her into helping you and Farik - a seeming deviance from her usual selfish and uncaring lifestyle.

Credits:

Game Development

Eric Hornby

Resources and Scripts

Megaflare, $t3v0, Namco, Chrono trigger series, 

Final Fantasy series, Sharp, mack, Arcanum, Ccoa, 

Tana, Fallen Angel, Faraway, MSJ, Ragnorok Online, 

Nin, Punk, Legendarydairy, Go Shiina, Sainte, 

Enterbrain, Kraft, Mascarpone, landofshadows, 

Mezmerize, Zephyrskye, Zanyzora, Despain,

JStreet ("panda"), Wyatt ("Princess Amy"), Raiju, Rye, Euphony, 

Arcthemonkey, jbrist, scriptkitty, Cybersam,

Raitame, Near Fantastica, Deke, Phylomortis, 

Illustrationism, Milo, Reruri Chan, Pocketmage, 

Poyzin, Ellenor, Luis Dlouhy, EQLSO, Automaton, xk8,

Kan Gao

Testing

Cef (of Freebird Game's Forum)

Luis Dlouhy

Leighton Schlanger

Brandon Meyer

Michael Laguros

Lucas Heath

Special Thanks

HBGames.org community

KamainsWorld community

All my real life friends who cared enough to play my game while I was making it.

"Master of the Wind" game for inspiration.

"Quintessence: The Blighted Venom" game for inspiration.

Screenshots:

treasurefind1fy5.png

treasurefind2ej4.png

woodcuttinggameml6.png

fimbelncaveqw6.png

arcanamilzs7.png

lightrealmentranceui6.png

Features:

The game is jam packed with sidequests, optional content, and minigames. I dare someone to find everything without the help of the FAQ! Some examples of such optional content includes:

*A Mining/Ore Smelting/Fishing/Herb Gathering/Wood Gathering/Holy Water Blessing optional minigames, most of which are a test of reflexes. These profession skills can only be unlocked by performing a sidequest in certain towns, and then by playing a minigame to gather the materials.

*Hidden Wisdom Fountains throughout the world, those who can seek them out and answer their riddles are rewarded with strange stones.

*Optional bosses everywhere. Hunt down the Dragons to claim powerful equipment. Seek out and destroy the hidden and anguished Hades Spirits to earn the right to face the greatest challenge in the game.

*In almost every dungeon, there is a minigame challenge that must be completed to pass through. This ranges from catching rabbits to dodging falling rocks to avoiding a series of gouts of lava. Most of these are reflex based.

Enex features a small degree of character customization through its ability system. The skills known by the characters are determined not through your base level (which will determine your stats) but instead through a level of proficiency in that type of skill. All characters have two separate types of skills and will gain proficiency through using them. For example, the priest Farik is capable in both Bows and Healing Magic. One player who find themselves frequently using Farik to sling arrows at enemies will discover far more bow skills than healing magics. A different player might find himself with a balanced Farik, who is skilled both in the Bow and the Healing Art but masters neither, and a final, more conservative player might find his Farik somewhat green with his bow but holding great mastery in healing.

Known Issues:

Version 1.1 of the game has a gamecrashing bug: Upon acquiring the character "Ralla", the game will crash if you attempt to access her equipment screen. You can resolve this by going into the Graphics/Battlers folder and copying the "Ralla2.png" graphic, renaming it "019-Theif04". This bug is not present in the most recent version of the game (1.2+)

You must have the "Calibri" Font installed on your computer. It is highly likely you already have it, but if not, it is easy to install. One example of a place to do so is here: http://www.cufonfonts.com/en/font/12048/calibri

Version 1.2 of the game has a game progression issue. Upon defeating the Final Boss of the game, the ending cutscene does not play. Please update to version 1.3 if you encounter this bug.

Version 1.3: In Torrentia Cave, floor is completely black due to missing graphics. Bug fixed in Version 1.4.

If you feel that your save file has been broken, contact me and I will fix it for you.

Edited by erichermit

That's a pretty valid complaint, I'd say!

My apologies, as this is my first time actually releasing an RMXP game (likely to be my only RMXP game, in fact) I failed to realize that when you use the usual game compression method it bugs out when the file is large. I've gone an fixed the link and tested it with a couple friends, so it should work. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Please try again now that the file is fixed, and come back to me with your feedback / progress when you have played some! Have fun.

Edited by erichermit

Thanks working now. But i have found a major game breaker!

1524623_10152092220027674_509211617_n.jp

Edit I have fix the problem by making a copy of Ralla2.png and renaming it to the missing graphic file. 

Edited by liliford

Oh my, it is certainly an embarrassment that I have had to go and fix these bugs post-release. I've added that bug to the current "Known Issues" and fixed it in the most recent version. When I finalized the game for release, I wanted to make it RTP-independent so that it could be played by people outside the RMXP community. That graphics loading bug occurred because of that transfer. 

I'm quite confident in that the new version of the game is free of any more game-breaking bugs. Thank you very much for your patience and interest, liliford. How are you finding the game thus far?

I played this game for a bit, I must say you've done a pretty good job polishing most of it. One thing though, if you enter a battle and decide to escape, you should "disable" the monster or move it away, so you don't have to reenter the fight immediately. I got trapped in a corner and couldn't run, because the monster was in the tile next to me.

Also, I think I see a potential infinite money glitch: keep getting free apples from your fruit bowl and sell them for profit! It may be 5g at a time, but if someone's bothered, they can become a millionare before leaving the starting town!

Thank you!

Actually, there is no bug there. There is a limited about of apples you are allowed to take from the bowl before it stops supplying them to you.

When you are running away from a monster, you can escape if, before the screen reloads, you are already pushing in a direction away from the monster. You are right though, I probably should have made that work a little different. There was a lot of different things I should of done for the game in fact. You can still, for example, for a few "Old Maps" scattered round that haven't been brought up to snuff with the new versions. Ideally, I'd have made even more minigames / skill challenges in the game as well. I would have preferred to have one in EVERY dungeon instead of almost all of them. In fact, I'd want to stick 2 or more in more of them.

One example is the combat system. If I were to start this game from the start, I'd definitely make it action oriented. My preferences for play style have shifted much over the years, and Enex, being so old, reflects a former version of myself more than my current self. 

Alternatively, (something I never got to and never will get to) I was hoping to take a page out of paper mario and make it so that while the game was turn-based, you had to have timed / reflex challenges to perform your attacks / skills / defend against enemy attacks in order to improve (or reduce, if you failed) your potency. This would make the combat more exciting and skill based than turn-based and strategy based.

If you know much about the history of the game, I have been working on it for a very, very, very long time. In the year 2008, it was practically done. And I had started it much earlier than that. What followed was a vast period of myself seeking perfection. The game has been completely remade from the bottom up about three times. This desire for perfection ended up breaking me, so I tucked it away in a corner and decided to never release it. Three years later (now), I realized how foolish it was to hold on to the game even if I couldn't deem it perfect. It was obvious that I was never going to bring myself to make the game perfect, so I decided that I just release it as is. That's the version you have now. I'm still pretty happy with it, but ideally it would be a much better game. I can't work on the same project forever, so I decided that it was for the best that I release the game as is and move forward with new projects instead of constantly refining the old.

Edited by erichermit

Okay, I'm going to give the answer in two parts. The first is a hint, and the second is the answer.

HINT

The necklace weighs 1 Ruby + 1 Gold Chain.

The answer to the problem is 267 bags.

1 Ruby = 3 Straw = 15 Rice.

1 Gold Chain = 3 Gold = 9 Lead = 18 Steel = 72 Grain = 252 Rice

252 + 15 = 267.

There is a GAMEFAQS style walkthrough I wrote in the folder, by the way. It doesn't go all the way to the end of the game, but it goes really far. If you get stuck, it should help you. 

There is no bug there.

Fortunately for you, it seems you found the optional combination, haha. Anyway, perhaps you are being too strict in your interpretation of the "reverse" hint. Eros was a mighty wizard, big of tricky thinking. The hint isn't as direct as you might think.

Mirror the image. THEN reverse the fires.

Looks like you're getting pretty deep in the game! :) How many optional things do you think you've completed so far?

Off the top of my head, I think you probably have been able to do Metal Crafting, Wood Crafting, Fishing, and kill the Pegasus up to the that point. 

Edited by erichermit

Looks like you're getting pretty deep in the game! :) How many optional things do you think you've completed so far?

Off the top of my head, I think you probably have been able to do Metal Crafting, Wood Crafting, Fishing, and kill the Pegasus up to the that point. 

The only thing i did not do is Fishing.

And it's a good game so far :)

Thanks again .  

Edited by liliford

At a certain point in the game, you might start encountering some creepy crystals that make an awful howling noise. In these are the absolute most difficult bosses in the entire game, given as optional bosses. I will be quite curious to see when somebody defeats them, and encourage any such people to post here. If you beat all of them, I'll add you to a list on the front of the topic that details people who have been able to do so.

There is a GAMEFAQS style walkthrough I wrote in the folder, by the way. It doesn't go all the way to the end of the game, but it goes really far. If you get stuck, it should help you. 

There is no bug there.

Fortunately for you, it seems you found the optional combination, haha. Anyway, perhaps you are being too strict in your interpretation of the "reverse" hint. Eros was a mighty wizard, big of tricky thinking. The hint isn't as direct as you might think.

Mirror the image. THEN reverse the fires.

Ehm hi... I have tried to figure out, but I just can't get it what do I have to reverse...Please, enlight me :) I'm stuck in here from hours and hours....

Sorry for taking so long to respond! What you need to do is mirror the current set up across the Y axis (so flip it from left to right.) Then you need to turn all the ON torches OFF and all the OFF torches ON. This counts as "reversing it twice, in two different ways."

I started this because it looked interesting, not to mention I have actually never played a finished XP game before.  It's very good, the battles are a little annoying to me (because if you escape it just starts the battle again and I'm not a battle person haha) but the optional content, etc is pretty ingenious. (I liked the talking fountain too.)  I ended up having to reload the game in the first dungeon because I accidentally pushed the boulder into a stuck spot and not I can no longer get it out, whoops. Still, the game is fun so far and the items are pretty generous ^-^ Glad you made this!

Sorry for taking so long to respond! What you need to do is mirror the current set up across the Y axis (so flip it from left to right.) Then you need to turn all the ON torches OFF and all the OFF torches ON. This counts as "reversing it twice, in two different ways."

Thank you, I can finally go on with this this amazing game :)

Edited by lishy

I started this because it looked interesting, not to mention I have actually never played a finished XP game before.  It's very good, the battles are a little annoying to me (because if you escape it just starts the battle again and I'm not a battle person haha) but the optional content, etc is pretty ingenious. (I liked the talking fountain too.)  I ended up having to reload the game in the first dungeon because I accidentally pushed the boulder into a stuck spot and not I can no longer get it out, whoops. Still, the game is fun so far and the items are pretty generous ^-^ Glad you made this!

Sorry it's taken me so long to get to responding on this topic. Classwork has become really stressful for me lately, especially when combined with developing my next game in parallel. (Which, as a commercial game, comes with about a million extra things to be stressed about.)

I'm really glad you played and liked my game! Optional content has always been a huge thing for me when playing games. For some reason, the sense of agency involved in "I discovered this and could have missed it!" or "I chose to do this!" ends up giving me a lot of satisfaction and extra enjoyment from the activity. 

@Grizz sorry you didn't like the fairy forest. Are you still stuck there? Keep in mind that each room is differentiated by the number of fairies in it. With that in mind it should be easy to discover the correct pathway. Random wandering will not get you through it, you should attack it intelligently. If it's really a huge blocker for you, you can send me your save file and I'll run you through it, but I trust that you should be able to complete it with the extra information I have given you.

According to my husband (who has been playing this for ages,not seen him for ages) this game is brilliant.

However- he is stuck on one area, I have had a go, cause I can usually figure these things out but no idea. Unless I am missing something really obvious here.

The solution in the walkthrough is-

"one light on three lights off hmmmm" and it relates to the room with four sets of four lights in the cavern in Lumia Cave

-

I have tried every combination going help. :D

According to my husband (who has been playing this for ages,not seen him for ages) this game is brilliant.

However- he is stuck on one area, I have had a go, cause I can usually figure these things out but no idea. Unless I am missing something really obvious here.

The solution in the walkthrough is-

"one light on three lights off hmmmm" and it relates to the room with four sets of four lights in the cavern in Lumia Cave

-

I have tried every combination going help. :D

It was obvious- cannot believe I didn't see it- problem solved.