DoubleX

DoubleX RMVXA Counterattack Edit

Hey, thanks for updating the script! It works well in a new project, but it stops working when you bring in Yanfly's Battle Engine. It goes back to not displaying animations or retaining scope. Is this something that could be added to the Compatibility script meant to make this work with Yanfly's Battle Engine? Thanks again!

Hey, thanks for updating the script! It works well in a new project, but it stops working when you bring in Yanfly's Battle Engine. It goes back to not displaying animations or retaining scope. Is this something that could be added to the Compatibility script meant to make this work with Yanfly's Battle Engine? Thanks again!

I've actually updated the compatibility fix:

http://www.rpgmakervxace.net/topic/21880-doublex-rmvxa-counterattack-compatibility-fix/

OK, so I updated the compatibility fix and it was crashing on Line 91 of the Compatibility script whenever my counter-attack was triggered. Looking at the script, I added this line:

attack_skill = $data_skills[target.counterattack_skill_id]

On Line 90. I found it in the same function from your main counter-attack script, and it no longer crashes.

OK, so I hope I'm not being a pest, but I have one more idea for this script. Right now, it allows for Magic Evasion to also trigger the counter attack, but there's two limiting factors to this: (1) Magic Evasion triggers the same counter as physical attacks do (2) It's triggered only by Magic Evasion.

It would be really nice if we could separate Magic Counters from Physical Counters. A boss that is hit with a physical attack counters with a strong magical spell, while if you cast a spell on him, he counters with a strong physical attack. Something like that. Preferably, this would be handled with two separate notes (one for physical, one for magical). That's the only other feature I feel is missing with what we could do with counter-attacks. It would be awesome if that could get added in the future! 

OK, so I updated the compatibility fix and it was crashing on Line 91 of the Compatibility script whenever my counter-attack was triggered. Looking at the script, I added this line:

attack_skill = $data_skills[target.counterattack_skill_id]

On Line 90. I found it in the same function from your main counter-attack script, and it no longer crashes.

OK, so I hope I'm not being a pest, but I have one more idea for this script. Right now, it allows for Magic Evasion to also trigger the counter attack, but there's two limiting factors to this: (1) Magic Evasion triggers the same counter as physical attacks do (2) It's triggered only by Magic Evasion.

It would be really nice if we could separate Magic Counters from Physical Counters. A boss that is hit with a physical attack counters with a strong magical spell, while if you cast a spell on him, he counters with a strong physical attack. Something like that. Preferably, this would be handled with two separate notes (one for physical, one for magical). That's the only other feature I feel is missing with what we could do with counter-attacks. It would be awesome if that could get added in the future! 

For the crash, I don't know why I could have missed the line you added. It should have been there. I added that and updated the compatibility fix anyway although I didn't make it a newer version :)

For your idea, I think Tsukihime's Battle Reaction can be a better solution than I upgrading my script(unless you want the counter to have a chance to trigger right after each repeat of a skill):

http://www.rpgmakervxace.net/topic/18706-battle-reactions/

Edited by DoubleX

Awesome, I took a quick look at that script and it seems to have the functionality I was requesting. Thanks a lot - I wasn't aware of that script!

So to be clear, the difference with yours is that it allows for a counter-attack to occur on a per-hit basis? As in, if a character uses Double Attack, he's going to trigger the enemy's counter twice? I really like that part of your script, so it looks like using these two together should provide everything I need as far as utilizing counter-attacks to their full potential. Thanks again!

In case anyone using this script has faced some errors, you may want to redownload this script and see if anything changes. I may have accidentally uploaded a wrong version and I've just reuploaded the latest version to ensure it's correct.

Maybe you're referring to this instead:

#------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
#  * (v1.03a+)CNT_Negate_Hit, default = true                                   |
#    Normal physical hit and damage determinations will take place before that |
#    of CNT if CNT_Negate_Hit is false                                         |
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    CNT_Negate_Hit = true

So you want to set it as false and see if anything changes :)