Sign in to follow this  
Caelestis

Questions on Pokemon style game.

I'm working on a couple projects, this one is more non-serious and really just comes from my love of pokemon games so I decided to make my own pokemon game basically. Except I am not sure how to do certain things that will be important to that style game. Any information, advice or in depth tutorials you could point me toward would be appreciated. 

Firstly, is it possible--and if so how do you make it work--to make the character you control in the world a different actor than the ones that actually fights in battles? Like how your hero sends his pokemon into the battle, but doesn't do any fighting himself. 

Also, is there a way to give your player a kinda bank, like the pokecenter, where you can swap out battlers for other battlers. And for that matter, can you make it possible for the player to catch his battlers in the wild like in pokemon?

Finally, how would I give the player the option of choosing between 3 different starter battlers?

Anything you can tell me about any of this, or any other aspect of a pokemon style game that I might have forgotten to ask about, would be helpful. Thanks!!

Really liked those games too! I had a saved game of the old blue version with 150 Pokémons... :)  around 200 hours gameplay!

For your project, it's a cool idea and I know there's a Huge ''Scripts project'' build for making Pokemon game. It's really close to the Pokemon style game. There is practically ever functions in those scripts.
Here you go my friend :
http://crystalnoel42.wordpress.com/pokemon-for-ace-kit/
I think it's called the Crystal Engine... there's loooooootttss of stuff as you will notice, but seems perfect for what you want to do.

I know it can be done without scripting but should take like... some years of full time programming/eventing and variabling! :P
If it doesn't fit your need, PM maybe I can try to see what I can do to help you.
Good making and see you!

Also, is there a way to give your player a kinda bank, like the pokecenter, where you can swap out battlers for other battlers. And for that matter, can you make it possible for the player to catch his battlers in the wild like in pokemon?

That sounds really cool.  Would be awesome if you can get that done.  I think it'd have to be done by storing "pokemon".id's into a new variable? in the actor that you would call "pokemons" which would be an array [pokemon1,pokemon2,pokemon3,ect.] and only the first 6 in the array r used in the battle, and u sort them with some other script to rearrange them.  But for that you would probably have to make the systems your self.  Since like I said you would need to make a new variable for the actors.

But like Philoup said, you can check out that link.  I looked through it the other day and seems like they had plenty of the systems complete.

And like he said it can also be done with eventing+little scripting.  I once recreated a pokemon battle system + catching once with pure events and 1 script that acted as a database for the variables.  But it is a ton of work specially if you have little knowledge of scripting.  Plus always easier to find Starter Kits/Engines.

There is also Pokemon Essentials for Rmxp. You will have to google it, but from experience, it has all you could want and more, where Crystal Noel's scripts are incomplete.