magic2345

Infinite time or constrained time? Or....

First of all I should explain  what I mean by infinite time and constrained time.

1. Infinite time. By Infinite time I mean that even though that huge meteor is going to hit the capital, you can still grind for as long as you want. RPGs often use this. Most notable are....well, the Final Fantasy Series.

2. Constrained time. By this I mean that time flows whatever you are doing. An example would be Harvest Moon and Radiata Stories. You have a limited time to do something. An effective use of the given time is crucial for games that use these. For players not used to this system, it would be a harsh learning experience.

3. Pseudo constrained time. A perfect example would be Persona 3 and 4, and Valkyrie Profile. The game is divided into parts (Persona through days, Valkyrie Profile through periods), where you can only go to a dungeon in certain parts. Also, there is a deadline where if you don't complete the quest before the time limit is up, its a gameover. Its not as hard for the player as constrained time.

Now, for the big question, which would you rather have in a game?

Like you said in exemple number 3, it's maybe a pseudo time system but you can also see it as a ''Dynamic Time System''.

For sure it will bring the game to a more interesting level.
I'm 100% in for Dynamic System.
Dynamic/Hybrid system are the best because the use reality concept but they are adapted to the game.
Using concept of real life is good but if it's a reproduction, it can sometime fall into SIMS alike game...
Not bad at all but don't think that's what where looking a here.
You could use a real time system that flow independently of the player's act, but like TheHarmp said earlier, it can stress the player... that's why you need to find a good balance of ''Time Flow''
A good exemple is ''Majora's Mask''  Really like that game where you can fully stretch, compress or even go back in time.
Time System are often complicated to design because of the ''Day and Night'' concept...
Exemple : in a town you can have full of NPC but at midnight I'm not sure that the kid will still run after the dog until 6 A.M....lol

To end, I suggest my preference as ''Pseudo-Time System'',  they offer more possibility and you may use longer or shorter time length at different moment of the game.  If used well, this can bring your game to a completely new dimension!

Good luck and good making. If any advice needed about eventing, writing down event or eventing system, don't hesitate to PM.
Cya!

Numbah threeee :) I don't like being under pressure, knowing that I have x amount of time to finish y, it can be stressful. (But then again, I'm always stressing.) If you're debating which to use, maybe you can make a time-constraint mode, or an infinite mode...but that'd be tough.)

Naww, I'm probably going to use the third one and the first one myself (my current game uses the third one). I'm just wondering if there are people who likes the second one.

I would choose Number 1.

Following the example you gave, I would choose number 1 UNLESS the map where I am is small, then I would choose Number 2 in cases like that.