Sign in to follow this  
Lazzamore

Battle style idea

I'd like to give the RPG i'm working on an interesting battle engine, and had an idea. I determined i would have to learn to program scripts to make this, as i tried to use the event system and i couldn't get it to work.

But to prevent me from starting something too ambitious to finish, (I do that often) i thought i'd bring my idea to the community to ask if it would be to advanced for my first script or perhaps if such a script already existed.

It works like this:

The player sees a description of the enemy and whats it doing. Then given a set of choices and a time limit to make said choices, determined by the enemies speed. They may choose to Run, use their weapon, or various other abilities. It narrates whatever the player chooses, and the enemies reaction, the enemies turn in which it randomly attacks in the same manner, the players reaction, so on and so forth, until the battles over. 

The reactions are based off of chance and skills, with realistic affects. So if the Player chooses to Punch at the enemy:

"The punch lands right in the face and the enemy stammers backwards, temporarily stunned!" might happen. Now that the enemy is stunned, the player has a couple more seconds in the attack menu and can attack again if their fast enough. their would be many unique such events that happen. I'd like to make several pictures of poses for each enemy to animate what is being narrated.

Also, the player would have a chance to avoid or parry the opponent attacks as they give them, being presented with several options on how to react. E.G: "The Wizard charges a magical fireball in his hands." your options: "Charge at him," "Drop to ground" and other choices like that, each one has a different chance at lessening the damage you take or avoiding the attack altogether.

using the same attack twice in a row makes the second attack much less effective on any enemy, so now that you socked the enemy in the face it's guarded against that particular attack.

Finally, attacks have different levels of damage that are inflicted depending on how effective the attack was. 'Flesh wounds' are just normal damage, 'Deep wounds' (critical hit, basically) are doubled and do small amounts of residual damage over time for rest of the battle. 'Mortal wounds' are more rare, and instantly reduces the enemies health by 80%, like if you hit an important body part. 'Fatal blows' are the hardest to pull off and instantly kill the opponent, as if you hit it in the heart or some other critical place in a monster. Bosses have this damage disabled.

Please forgive me if this isn't clear or is hard to understand.

I think that your request may be done just by bypassing the regular Battle System and common event.
The hardest part is the choice proposition :
Exemple :
-Attack
-Run
-Cast
-Punch
-Jump
-ect...

You wouldn't want the player to get lost in subchoice menu...

So that's why you could fit a system of ''assigned'' number to Various action like
-Button 1 : Use potion
-Button 2 : Punch Face

-Button 3 : Kick

-Button 4 : Cast Fire

So when you trigger the enemy with the ''Space bar'' or ''Enter'' button, you could make a ''Counter'' appear, and depending on how much time it tooks to the player to push his ''Action Number'', you put a Bonus or Malus depending if it was fast enough or toooo slowwww..

I think I could sketch something that fits your need,
If it's something you're interested in, I can give it a try.

Good making!

PS : Nice Battle System Idea actually :)

Thank you for helping me!

I think I could sketch something that fits your need,

If it's something you're interested in, I can give it a try.

Good making!

PS : Nice Battle System Idea actually :)

That would be great, thank you!

That would work, but its not exactly what i imagined. Though i might be able to use it.

I looove the idea *Q* It's like, battle system set to a whole new level without being onscreen with running on the map or whatever...(yeah, that was not clear.) Beautiful idea, I would LOVE to see this implemented! ^-^

i still think its like hyper beam, dig, and fly like in pokemon. just more elaborate of an idea, with that link i put you can have the punch have a casting time of 2 turns. and depending on what skill you do it can cancel their punch cast or just lessen the damage in half. 

anyways good luck!

Hey Philoup, I had another idea for the engine. don't worry about it if this is too much trouble, but could you include another feature in the sketch: support for teammates.

Basically, other characters in your party participate by randomly selecting one of their options (they don't get to retreat, though) and they'd have their own health and MP, but no in-battle items (like potions and such). the player can't control the allies and they get to use predefined skills, to keep it simpler.

A.I. for your party members could be done. And you could set them at different A.I. style :
-Healer
-Defender
-Support
-Frenzy Attack

-Observe and act
...ect
I'll try to implement that in the sketch!
For now I haven't done anything on VX ace but it's all starting to grow on paper.