Sign in to follow this  
jimmyd

Newbie needs help with mapping.

Hello. I am new to RPG Maker and I am trying to learn how to map. I have done the tutorials but I do not get the results I want.  I have attacted a screen shot to help explain my problem.

I am trying to duplicate the effect which is shown in the window on the left, which is the interior of a building from the game Actual Sunlight. I am using the same tileset that he used (Modern) but I cannot figure out how to create the very thin walls he has on the outside edge that serve as the perimeter of the building. I've tried shift-clicking but I'm not getting the right result. You can see my results on my map screen.

What am I doing wrong? How do I create a building like that?

post-39338-0-68706800-1390363663_thumb.png

Gotta use the corner tiles, and then like Glav suggests, paint the rest with the black so that the walls stay thin instead of putting that other back side of wall.

It's actually very simple to map like that. I make all my interior maps like you want to achieve. I'll post a screen shot, and possible a How To video when I get off of work in 5 hours. If you can wait that long :)

EDIT: Okay, so you're wanting this result?
Room%20Example.jpg

You've just got to design it just like it than. Here is a picture of it in the VX Ace editor, but it looks just like the first screenshot does for the most part. Just bigger.
Room%20Examp%201.jpg

If you'd like me to put together a video of how I made it I could do that. Just let me know.

Edited by KevinFrost

Thanks for your offer to help. I have it figured out except for the problem I mention in my post above. I can only paint with my corners bent in (see screen shot) when I try to paint normal corners I get extra lines that I can't figure out how to get rid of.

I do think a video would be useful, if you can spare the time.

I'll do a video when I get home from work in a couple hours and I'll edit this post with a link to the video. I'll try and lay down specific instructions while showing you how it's achieved. (The map may not look exactly the same, but I'll do my best. Lol!)

EDIT: Okay I recorded and uploaded a video for you. Hope it helps!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A_Tw3hGMiw

Edited by KevinFrost

Wow. Just Wow. Boy was I overthinking how to do this in the extereme. I can't believe I wasted hours trying to figure that out.

What I didn't understand was that (1) Fill the map with black first and then (2) draw the floor.  In essence, one makes a wall by not even using the wall tile to draw a wall.

Anyway, thanks you very much Kevin. I feel like a dork but at least I get it now.

Lol! Well I'm glad that it makes sense to you now. Don't worry, we all learn the same way, trial and error! :) That's what this community is here for!
Good luck with your future mapping, and if you have any more questions about any aspect of the editor (I've been using RPG Maker for over 13 years now.) Just PM me and I'll get you an answer.