Sign in to follow this  
Spectre

The Reverse RPG

You all have heard the same old story before: a group of ragtag adventurers seek four mystical artifacts from around the world to defeat an evil boss hiding in his lair.

There's just one problem: you realize the boss is utterly useless and have killed him in a single fell swoop of your dull blade. Now it dawns on you: you've essentially robbed four civilizations of their most valuable artifacts and trinkets; objects of worship, in order to kill off some whelp of an evil guy who turns out to be someone who isn't all that bad.

Your inner guilt haunting you, you resolve to return the artifacts to where they truly belong, while dodging and interacting with angry natives and creatures you've mercilessly killed and plundered for gold and odd items that you don't actually need; but for some reason shopkeeps enjoy taking off your hands, as well as disgruntled, defeated bosses you've beaten to an inch of their life, now staring at you in confusion as you place the artifact they've guarded, and you've plundered, back on its pedestal.

As you return all the artifacts and make your way back to your home town, empty handed but feeling like a better human being, you finally encounter the true final boss of the game: the tutorial NPC that won't shut up about teaching you how to use items and attack. As your characters finally snap and beat him to death, the credits roll.

This stupid idea was conceived when a friend of mine asked what would happen if you played an RPG backwards. Yes, it's a satire of the old school, romantic styled RPG. But it might just work.

Any comments? I'm expecting about six "this is stupid" replies.

Edited by Kentard

Sounds pretty cool actually, I was expecting another "I'm gonna do something superficially different" threads (I hate to say that, but I see a lot of those on game creation forums, not just these). The idea is pretty original, and the thought of a basic tutorial NPC being the lord of all evil is pretty awesome.

Well, if you're expecting it, here's the first one : this is stupid.

So, done, and now, my opinion : this might be pretty interesting. And I also enjoy the idea of the Tutorial NPC as the final boss. Though I'm still curious about how you'll make the player stay in your game. I mean, the "find the artefact and kill the bad guy" pattern is seen and overseen,but still, you can clearly see the different goals : go to town, locate the artefact, go through the dungeon, kill the boss, take the artifact and go for the next one.

In a nutshell, cool idea, but I'd be curious to have a more accurate idea of the storyline.

The whole purpose of this project is a large satire; but I'm hoping it won't involve too much of the repetitive palaver that we're all too familiar with.

Perhaps I can shift the emphasis a little towards storyline rather than gameplay - have more interactions with the defeated bosses or enemies, or focus more on the storytelling.

Needless to say, the difficulty level of the intended game will either be deliberately easy or deliberately hard, all just for the sake of telling a rather silly narrative.

As for the tutorial NPC... look, honestly. How many people want to hear that little %^&^%$ ramble on about using the Attack Button?

The setting for this entire... escapade, if you will, will be held at the "final boss" stage at the very beginning of the game, with the characters backtracking to their hometown while returning artifacts along the way to conveniently placed points of interest.

From what I've seen you post so far, you appear to be a fantastically creative person.

I love the idea of the game starting at the "Final Boss." Have a bit of dialogue that seems to have been taken from the end of an adventure. Several of the heroes comment on how bonding their experience is. Collecting the four elemental orbs certainly was difficult! Then they go into the final boss room and he dies instantly. 

I don't like the party about the "Tutorial NPC" from the start being the boss though. This game sounds very humorous but there's no reason why it absolutely must be a "joke" game. Performing his heroic duties can have very real negative consequences in the world that can form a real struggle.

This is stupid hilarious and an all-around brilliant idea with lots of potential and room for development, humor, and moral character. :) I like this idea as it deals with the thought of how bad the hero can actually be in a game (though dealt with in a satirical way, of course.) I certainly hope this becomes a game someday ^-^

I love this idea. In fact I did think of attempting something myself, but never got much better in the storyboard than "good guys beat super boss, populace furious at the heroes stealing household items and not actually solving the monster issues" which just can't hold it's own weigh, after which I dropped it. You have some great ideas here, and although not easy to do, I really hope you do go forward with this idea as it would result in a rememberable game.

The idea of placing the artefacts back on the pedestals behind defeated bosses is a great way to provide the gameplay. Taking a step further you are no longer solving the puzzles you could be resetting them, placing traps and generally healing the monsters. In fact the combat mechanic could be replaced with a healing mini-game. Tetris, bejewelled, Simon, each could be a  away to replace combat with more of a puzzle focus, and away from combat which from the sounds of it, the protagonist is pretty sick of.

The other nice thing about this game is that you get a really, really impressive start to grab the attention of the player and teach them the game mechanics. No longer is it a tutorial NPC, but the biggest strongest evildoer in the entire game (baring the player)

The other nice thing about this game is that you get a really, really impressive start to grab the attention of the player and teach them the game mechanics. No longer is it a tutorial NPC, but the biggest strongest evildoer in the entire game (baring the player)

Yeah... about that. You kill him in one hit. With a basic attack.

The idea of placing the artefacts back on the pedestals behind defeated bosses is a great way to provide the gameplay. Taking a step further you are no longer solving the puzzles you could be resetting them, placing traps and generally healing the monsters. In fact the combat mechanic could be replaced with a healing mini-game. Tetris, bejewelled, Simon, each could be a  away to replace combat with more of a puzzle focus, and away from combat which from the sounds of it, the protagonist is pretty sick of.

That is actually a very good idea. Sort of "reversing the damage done". It'd actually be quite humorous seeing a barren dungeon that's ludicrously easy to clear, but your players are resetting the traps to make it harder while preventing themselves from stepping on traps they've already reset.

I like it. It makes the stages blatantly stupid when you enter, but returns to its original "hellish dungeon" as you progress.

As for healing the monsters, I can't but help to think that the very monsters you've healed will come back and attack you, so you'll kill them anyway; but only after healing them back up.

I love the idea of the game starting at the "Final Boss." Have a bit of dialogue that seems to have been taken from the end of an adventure. Several of the heroes comment on how bonding their experience is. Collecting the four elemental orbs certainly was difficult! Then they go into the final boss room and he dies instantly. 

I don't like the party about the "Tutorial NPC" from the start being the boss though. This game sounds very humorous but there's no reason why it absolutely must be a "joke" game. Performing his heroic duties can have very real negative consequences in the world that can form a real struggle.

Dialogue. Mmm, yes.

As for the "Tutorial NPC" being the final boss, I'm considering using it to lighten up the mood. Granted, it's satirical, and the game shows that RPG conquests do have its "collateral damage" and real-world consequences, but at the same time I'm bringing it across to the user in a light-hearted way.

The Tutorial NPC as the final boss serves both as a cheap shot at comedic relief and to bring a somewhat nihilistic end to the game - your characters redeem themselves for their wrongdoings in a moment of blindness, but won't hesitate to beat the crap out of someone that just won't shut up.

I think it would be a good idea to go into the back story about how the Tutorial-NPC became the twisted, evil, final boss that he/she becomes. Maybe the NPC just had it with all the newbie adventurers asking him how to do things...and one day he just snapped. "So you want to know how to swing a sword? HERE is how you f*ck*ng swing a sword! Ah-ha-ha-haaaa...."

Just a thought. :)

I think it's a great idea. The 'hero quest-to-collect-items-and-destroy-the-evil-dark-lord' trope has been done a million ways. This idea to pay homage to that, but then experience the aftermath / consequences is refreshing. Creating an RPG today is a delicate process. It's difficult, as immersed and versed as most of us are in "Classic RPGs," to be original while still including the aspects of RPGs that we love.

maybe you can start at the beginning. hero meet the tutorial npc. get taught how to battle, etc. then time skip to the final boss... defeat it. and then proceed like you planned. it would also nice to have a little flashback when entering area. on what have the hero done before. and what he has to do to fix it.

Like others above I think this is a great idea. However that's really just the beginning since so much rests on execution.

The more you emphasize the satire here, not only in the form and function of the story, but also in the character roles and interactions, the better the game will be. If you take that as the guiding principle and make sure the story remains engaging, despite the gimmick (i.e. don't let the gimmick overshadow a story. The story doesn't need to be overly dramatic, especially since that wouldn't fit the tone, but it should at least hold up to close inspection) then you'll be even closer to executing on this well.

I think it's a great idea. The 'hero quest-to-collect-items-and-destroy-the-evil-dark-lord' trope has been done a million ways. This idea to pay homage to that, but then experience the aftermath / consequences is refreshing. Creating an RPG today is a delicate process. It's difficult, as immersed and versed as most of us are in "Classic RPGs," to be original while still including the aspects of RPGs that we love.

Think of it as a way to play a traditional RPG game backwards. It brings back familiar elements in a new light; e.g. resetting traps or healing up monsters and defeated bosses, and at the same time brings the satire across.

maybe you can start at the beginning. hero meet the tutorial npc. get taught how to battle, etc. then time skip to the final boss... defeat it. and then proceed like you planned. it would also nice to have a little flashback when entering area. on what have the hero done before. and what he has to do to fix it.

The game starts at the "final boss"; the alleged dark overlord. Tutorial NPC Tutorials are done to death; why not make him the final boss instead?

Like others above I think this is a great idea. However that's really just the beginning since so much rests on execution.

The more you emphasize the satire here, not only in the form and function of the story, but also in the character roles and interactions, the better the game will be. If you take that as the guiding principle and make sure the story remains engaging, despite the gimmick (i.e. don't let the gimmick overshadow a story. The story doesn't need to be overly dramatic, especially since that wouldn't fit the tone, but it should at least hold up to close inspection) then you'll be even closer to executing on this well.

Satire and a little bit of humor. Probably how I'm planning to have it done.

Sure, it's a pretty silly gimmick, but a gimmick in the right hands can be used as a potent plot device; in this case, the show that RPG plots aren't as noble as they make it seem. It'd be quite entertaining yet sobering to play the game backwards and reverse the damage done, and it'll lend well to giving a cheap shot at a plot that isn't too dramatic, but still serious enough to connote a moral undertone.

I think it would be a good idea to go into the back story about how the Tutorial-NPC became the twisted, evil, final boss that he/she becomes. Maybe the NPC just had it with all the newbie adventurers asking him how to do things...and one day he just snapped. "So you want to know how to swing a sword? HERE is how you f*ck*ng swing a sword! Ah-ha-ha-haaaa...."

Just a thought. :)

I was thinking more along the lines of the Tutorial NPC just being extremely annoying and inflicted with the unfortunate disability to only speak a few lines of tutorial monologue, so much so that the main characters themselves snap and proceed to attack him/her/it (thus negating all of their good deeds, so to speak), but that could work too.

Edited by Kentard

Oh, don't worry. Compared to some of my other stuff this game is pretty short.

In any case I'm not thinking of a backstory that's overly elaborate, in comparison to my other project.

Nice! That actually sounded great, and I'd love to see a game like this. I'd expect you'd have the player begin with the tutorial NPC and work forwards, and then back? If so, I'd keep the initial quest (collecting the artifacts) short rather than long.

And when you confront the tutorial NPC, the motive for beating him to a pulp - other than for being annoying - is because his rambling proved useless anyways, could be figured out by any noob, and basically resulted in being able to spam the attack button for similar results.

Personally I think this is terrific. Look back on a few RPGs I've played, it's not hard to imagine the fictional world not going down the toilet in the first place if my characters had just stayed at home that day. It's sort of like how in a classic superhero fight, half the city gets destroyed, and the citizens are left to clean up the damage. 

This could even be linked to real world events, namely a few wars that have happened that likely could have been avoided had we possessed the ability to perceive the events leading up to it for what they truly were, and would later result in (these are sometimes referred to as Black Swan events). Anachronistically, we can look back on history, and see the progression of events for what it was, a ramp-up to all out war, and we can ask ourselves how it could have been mitigated before things escalated. However, it seems that we are cursed with the inability to fully recognize all the potential consequences of said events at the time of their happening. 

It's interesting to think about, and I feel it would work well as a game dynamic. 

Eek. My bad for not keeping track of things. Busy as of late:

Nice! That actually sounded great, and I'd love to see a game like this. I'd expect you'd have the player begin with the tutorial NPC and work forwards, and then back? If so, I'd keep the initial quest (collecting the artifacts) short rather than long.

And when you confront the tutorial NPC, the motive for beating him to a pulp - other than for being annoying - is because his rambling proved useless anyways, could be figured out by any noob, and basically resulted in being able to spam the attack button for similar results.

Not bad. Sort of like a meta-game where the party members could represent typical RPG players who already know the basic mechanics of the game.

I'm actually just starting from the back rather than using the tutorial NPC for the actual tutorial. Gives off the impression that you "already know the game"; and sort of fits the reverse RPG motif better.

If you're new to RPGs you won't get the satire, but then again that's pretty much the point of satire, sadly.

Personally I think this is terrific. Look back on a few RPGs I've played, it's not hard to imagine the fictional world not going down the toilet in the first place if my characters had just stayed at home that day. It's sort of like how in a classic superhero fight, half the city gets destroyed, and the citizens are left to clean up the damage. 

This could even be linked to real world events, namely a few wars that have happened that likely could have been avoided had we possessed the ability to perceive the events leading up to it for what they truly were, and would later result in (these are sometimes referred to as Black Swan events). Anachronistically, we can look back on history, and see the progression of events for what it was, a ramp-up to all out war, and we can ask ourselves how it could have been mitigated before things escalated. However, it seems that we are cursed with the inability to fully recognize all the potential consequences of said events at the time of their happening. 

It's interesting to think about, and I feel it would work well as a game dynamic. 

Not too keen on the 'war' motif, but I'd be glad to introduce the element of avoiding a full scale war just so that a few idiots can head off on a conquest to rob villages and civilizations of artifacts, and to defeat a boss.

This sort of reminds me of an idea I had. Big bad is dead, heroes go on for other stuff, credits roll. Wait....what about rebuilding the land? Well that's up for the D team heroes, that the player controls.

It's nice to see another take on the 'standard' RPG story. Would be a kick to go back and see the affects your party had during the quest to 'save the world'. Like a Fire based area really mad that you killed their fire god/goddess to get an item of power. Along with all the pop up "This is how you do X" NPCs seeing you come back. This actually opens the game up to do a lot of fun stuff.