Titles like in the Tales of series

Titles

By Blackmorning
version 1.10
Released 01/29/2014
updated Sep/27/2017

Requires
BM-base script

This is based on the Titles System from RPG Maker VX that I made.

Similar to titles in the Tales of series (ie. Tales of Destiny, Tales of Symphonia)

• Titles are a new customization for actors (similar to classes, but independent and separate).
  • Individual titles assigned to actors, can be added through events
  • Titles can effect base stats and/or level up bonuses
  • Changing titles can be accessed through the status menu (with YEA Status menu) or the main menu

This script is compatible with YEA status menu and YEA menu engine

The windows are organized like YEA's class system

Do not be afraid to look at the script. The module section of the script is where anyone can put their flair:

• change the title names, add more titles
  • change the base stat bonuses, add more, turn them off
  • change the stat level up bonuses, add more, turn them off
  • change character graphic based on title

SCREENSHOOTS

titles-statusmenu.jpg

titles-mainscreen.jpg

NOTE:
If you want more options, let me know. Any ideas I'll be happy to hear. 
If there are any problems, let me know.  I will try my best to fix it.

Edited by blackmorning84

For some reason, your BM-Base "pushes" the screen to the bottom right, creating two tiny black margins:

Captpant.png

It's visible on your first screenshot, too. Also, for unknown reasons, if I click outside of the game window (to open photoshop, to paste the image taken, for example) or if I switch between full screen and window, it changes back to normal. I mean, the margins disappear, like in your second image.

For some reason, your BM-Base "pushes" the screen to the bottom right, creating two tiny black margins:

Captpant.png

It's visible on your first screenshot, too. Also, for unknown reasons, if I click outside of the game window (to open photoshop, to paste the image taken, for example) or if I switch between full screen and window, it changes back to normal. I mean, the margins disappear, like in your second image.

I'm not quite sure what's up with the script there.  It only happens when you allow the game window to be re-sizable, but I don't know what's wrong with the script there.

Waaaa! I love the Tales series; and I have been dying for a title system since I left VX! QAQ

Thank you so much! I don't get the black edges in my game, but then I have it automatically re sized to 640 by 480 with another script. (Galv's menu script). I don't know if that has something to do with it?

Either way, the script works well for me! Thank you so much!  :D

Edit: Ah, actually...upon using this a bit further, I found only a small issue I'm having. I think the character transparency is messing up some of my other script's graphics; for example, I'm using Yanfly's party system, which automatically grays out non-battle characters. But now, when I go to change the formation, the chibi characters and their faces show up dim. They also do this from my custom save/load screen. (Using Moghunter's). Is there a way to turn the transparency feature to true/false in the script? I think that would solve everything for me. 

Edited by Allusion

Waaaa! I love the Tales series; and I have been dying for a title system since I left VX! QAQ

Thank you so much! I don't get the black edges in my game, but then I have it automatically re sized to 640 by 480 with another script. (Galv's menu script). I don't know if that has something to do with it?

Either way, the script works well for me! Thank you so much!  :D

Edit: Ah, actually...upon using this a bit further, I found only a small issue I'm having. I think the character transparency is messing up some of my other script's graphics; for example, I'm using Yanfly's party system, which automatically grays out non-battle characters. But now, when I go to change the formation, the chibi characters and their faces show up dim. They also do this from my custom save/load screen. (Using Moghunter's). Is there a way to turn the transparency feature to true/false in the script? I think that would solve everything for me. 

New base script can turn this feature on/off.  Also gauges for parameters/exp can be turned off now.

Edited by blackmorning84

Yes. Possibly, yes.

I use a fullscreen script and changing resolutions pushes the screen back to normal. My problem is that the game starts either fullscreen with black edges or windowed with black edges, and I have to switch back and forth to correct it (e.g.: fullscreen, w/ edges -> windowed, no edges -> fullscreen, no edges).

Maybe I can try that script of yours, but I'm not sure... Does it cause any problems with projects designed to be "standard resolution"? I mean, stretched images, displacing things, black edges and stuff?

Nope! I tested the script in a blank project, and on standard resolution, it's fine~ 

If you do use Galv's script, you'll need to provide menu pictures for the main screen; you may want to use this snippit instead, which changes the resolution to 640 x 480 without any other stipulations. 

Graphics.resize_screen(640, 480)

Add this in the 'Main' script in your script editor, before the rgss_main line. (I added this right on top of it in the blank project, and it worked fine~) 

I get no black edges when I do this. I hope it helps!

It's been a while, but I have a few updates.  As always, thank you for any suggestions, I appreciate them.  (Thanks to Allied G and Anthony for these updates).  BM-Base has been updated to allow the customization of the param ratio that creates the parameter gauges and the stats graph for the BM-Status which has also been updated.  BM-Titles has added the ability to change the base stat change from percent to a set number.

UPDATES

Suggestion : Have some way for events (like objects, things, doors or npc actors) to tell if you have a certain title equipped or not. That way the door won't open unless a certain title is equipped and npcs won't talk to them. I mean the actor would have to have the title equipped/selected for it to work.

You could do it using Conditional Branch and the Script on tab 4 of Conditional Branch. At least I think you can. I don't know how so... eh.

It would check to see if the actor doing the event had the title or not. So if the actor had the title of 'Keymaster' the door would open. If the actor had the title of 'Friendly' the n pc would talk to them.

Edited by Nightgazer Starlight

Suggestion : Have some way for events (like objects, things, doors or npc actors) to tell if you have a certain title equipped or not. That way the door won't open unless a certain title is equipped and npcs won't talk to them. I mean the actor would have to have the title equipped/selected for it to work.

You could do it using Conditional Branch and the Script on tab 4 of Conditional Branch. At least I think you can. I don't know how so... eh.

It would check to see if the actor doing the event had the title or not. So if the actor had the title of 'Keymaster' the door would open. If the actor had the title of 'Friendly' the n pc would talk to them.

You can use this in the event commands - script:

actor_title_is?(actor_id, variable_id)
It assigns the actor's equipped title to a variable, from that you can use it in conditional branches Edited by blackmorning84

You can use this in the event commands - script:

actor_title_is?(actor_id, variable_id)
It assigns the actor's equipped title to a variable, from that you can use it in conditional branches

I couldn't get it to work correctly.

I don't think I was doing it right.

Exactly how am I supposed to do that?

I thought I had coded differently so new update.  Actor Titles gets a change in coding to help with conditional branches.  You can assign an actor's title id number to a variable.  It was the name of the title.  The number works better because then you can compare numbers.

UPDATE

Actor Titles

using actor_title_is?(actor_id, variable_id) in the event will assign that actor's title id to a variable.  It will correspond to the numbers in the script under CUSTOM_TITLES.  You can then compare that in a conditional branch to the number you want.

I found a minor issue with this. If you have the leading actor equip a title that changes their graphic, it won't actually change their appearance unless you switch them with another actor, and back to the leader through the formation command.

I found a minor issue with this. If you have the leading actor equip a title that changes their graphic, it won't actually change their appearance unless you switch them with another actor, and back to the leader through the formation command.

Bm-Titles has a quick refresh to fix.  This should now refresh when changing the titles.

Hey all, 3 updates today. BM base can now show the item rarity in the help window (from vlue item randomizer or hime item rarity).  Titles System can assigned specific actor parameters to be shown in the titles scene.  Advanced status has fixed some sound selection issues.

UPDATES

An update to an older script today.  Titles Ace gets a little bit added to it to make it easier

version 1.09

•  change graphics based on title now includes face graphics,
  • turn change graphic   off entirely
  •  adjust the default image of the actor when changing to title with no custume.

UPDATE
Titles Ace