Advanced Animated Menu

By Blackmorning
version 2.04
Released 27/Feb/2014
updated 02/May/2016

• adds custom music to the menu screens (Idea from Tsukihime)
  • column-based actor status on main menu screen (Idea from Galv's) or row-based actor status
  • always show all members on the skills and items screens
  • gold window includes variables, time, steps, etc (Idea from Yanfly Scene Menu ReDux) (multiple configurations)
  • location window on main menu screen
  • animated actor graphics in menu screen
  • change input button for calling the menu
  • large portrait for actor if available, see faq

Compatible with standard menus and other menus like YEA-Menu Engine
can be used with BM-ring menu (put this script below the other menu scripts)

SCREENSHOTS

5747415_orig.jpg
6897006_orig.jpg

shown with BM-Ring Menu

verticalmenuwithring.jpg

You will need the BM-base script, found here
place it below Materials, but above Main

Column menu script is found here
place it below BM-base, but above Main

NOTE:
If you want more options, let me know. Any ideas I'll be happy to hear. 
If there are any problems, let me know.  I will try my best to fix it.

Edited by blackmorning84

I really liked you menu, but I'm having some issues that I hope you can help me.

First, behind the HP and MP bars, where should be transparent, there is a black box, and the char icon isn't too near the HP bar? The screen is from a new and clean project, so can't be other plugin problem.

Second, there is some way to complete remove the location square? I don't use, so its a little ugly to stay there.

ax5D4cw.jpg

And finally, on this screen of your menu, how can I use this Exp and HP/Mp bars (the outline)?

8341799_orig.jpg

Thanks for the script and sorry for the bad english.

I really liked you menu, but I'm having some issues that I hope you can help me.

First, behind the HP and MP bars, where should be transparent, there is a black box, and the char icon isn't too near the HP bar? The screen is from a new and clean project, so can't be other plugin problem.

Second, there is some way to complete remove the location square? I don't use, so its a little ugly to stay there.

ax5D4cw.jpg

And finally, on this screen of your menu, how can I use this Exp and HP/Mp bars (the outline)?

8341799_orig.jpg

Thanks for the script and sorry for the bad english.

I've updated the script so that the location window can be removed completely.  I also gave more options for what appears in the actor columns.

In regards to the outlined gauges, that picture is from my personal game which includes Syvkal's Menu Bars VXAce.  My script does not deal with redrawing the gauges, but will work with scripts that will.

Is this free to use commercially? And who should I credit? And would it be ok IF I script this?

Yes, it can be used commercially, though it would be nice to get a free copy of the game. Credit blackmorning84.

I like the picture Teko has with the giant close up of the actors, is that in the script? Also, does the location box work with Tsukihime's Region Names script? I love scripts, Hanzo's work has inspired me to learn scripting, can you teach me the basics?

You have a awesome script, keep it up. I'd help if I knew how. XD

I like the picture Teko has with the giant close up of the actors, is that in the script? Also, does the location box work with Tsukihime's Region Names script? I love scripts, Hanzo's work has inspired me to learn scripting, can you teach me the basics?

You have a awesome script, keep it up. I'd help if I knew how. XD

The busts are in the script, under ACTOR_OPTIONS.  You need an image to match which is explained on my website.

Also for the Tsukihime's Region Names, I made a little patch to go with my columns menu.  Put it under Tsukihime's and my column menu and it will put region names with the map name.

New updates to to give some new options for BM-Columns Menu and BM-Shop scripts.  For these, you need the updated BM-Base.   It's now up to the user whether they want to use character graphics or scaled down face graphics for the shop status and the item/skill selection windows.
8219805.jpg?438

7161555.jpg?310

Big update for BM Advanced Status.  More customization features, can choose different ways to show element/state resistances/inflictions, can toggle between any windows you want to set up.

BM Columns Menu has update to fix conflict with YEA class system.

UPDATE

Also listed some resources, including an iconset.

Update to BM-Base to fix compatibility issue with Bubs Guts Script.  BM-Advanced Equip updated cursor size for equipment icon.  Patch for Selchar's Harvest Moon Time script with BM-Columns Menu has been updated to no longer require the Clock hud script.

UPDATE

Just noticed that there is a function on YEA Menu Engine that changes the location of the help window.  I've updatedBM-Advanced Status, BM-Advanced Equip and BM-Columns Menu to make it compatible with this feature.  

Due to the nature of BM-Advanced Equip, it will not move the help window to the middle position as it needs its current window height to view all the information.

UPDATES

BM-Advanced Status

BM-Advanced Equip

BM-Columns Menu

1013922.jpg?364

Blackmorning84,

Thanks for the scripts. I am switching from Galv's column menu to yours as it incorporates Galv's stuff and add some nice features. I do have one question. I was wondering if there is an option to change the max number of actors and adjust the main screen accordingly? The player in my game will only ever be able to have a party of 3. With this lower number of actors, I could display more of the 272x288 character portrait in the main menu. Right now, most of the portrait is cut off. The portraits are vector art, so I can scale it down, I just like the portrait to be as large as possible.

Thanks, and big thanks for your great scripts. My game is not commercial, but I'll send you a PM if it is ever released to see if you have any interest.

EDIT: One other quick question, and I will search for this as well. Is there anywhere I can find what the button inputs correspond to? In this script, it has ":button => :Z" In-game, the "d" key opens up the menu now. I do not foresee needing a lot of keyboard keys in my game, but it would be nice to know how "Z" corresponds to the "D" key.

Edited by YummyTiger

Blackmorning84,

Thanks for the scripts. I am switching from Galv's column menu to yours as it incorporates Galv's stuff and add some nice features. I do have one question. I was wondering if there is an option to change the max number of actors and adjust the main screen accordingly? The player in my game will only ever be able to have a party of 3. With this lower number of actors, I could display more of the 272x288 character portrait in the main menu. Right now, most of the portrait is cut off. The portraits are vector art, so I can scale it down, I just like the portrait to be as large as possible.

Thanks, and big thanks for your great scripts. My game is not commercial, but I'll send you a PM if it is ever released to see if you have any interest.

EDIT: One other quick question, and I will search for this as well. Is there anywhere I can find what the button inputs correspond to? In this script, it has ":button => :Z" In-game, the "d" key opens up the menu now. I do not foresee needing a lot of keyboard keys in my game, but it would be nice to know how "Z" corresponds to the "D" key.

Do you use a script to change the max battle party size?   It adjusts based on that.  If not, try adding this little code at the beginning of the custom scripts.  It'll change the max to 3, therefore the columns should adjust accordingly.

class Game_Party < Game_Unit
def max_battle_members
    return 3
  end
end

the input buttons actually correspond to buttons on a joystick, not a keyboard. This has been true for RPG maker forever. it's only custom scripts that actually made the keyboard-specific input commands.

C button is z/enter/space on the keyboard

Z button is d on the keyboard

A button is shift on the keyboard

X button is a on the keyboard

B button is esc/x on the keyboard

L button is q/page up on the keyboard

R button is w/page down on the keyboard

Worked perfect, awesome!

Also, thanks for the information on the button layout. I did not know that it was set to correspond to the buttons on a joystick (still fairly new to RPG Maker). That makes sense though. That also makes sense why your script says the default is ":B" :-).

Thanks!

First off, great job on this script. I really like it a lot. Thanks for sharing it.

I had a problem with the menu music to keep playing after I exit the menu. I don't know if anyone else had this problem. I fixed it by inserting a bit of code.

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  # * Overwrite: Determine if Menu is Called due to Cancel Button
  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  def update_call_menu
    if $game_system.menu_disabled || $game_map.interpreter.running?
      @menu_calling = false
    def replay_map_music
      @map_bgm.replay
      @map_bgs.replay
    end  
    else
      @menu_calling ||= Input.trigger?(BM::MENU::OPTIONS[:button])
      call_menu if @menu_calling && !$game_player.moving?
    end
  end

I added:   def replay_map_music
                   @map_bgm.replay
                   @map_bgs.replay
                end

And now the map music resumes playing when I exit the menu.

Edited by HumanNinja

I'm having another issue with the map BGM not playing. Except this time it is when I use an item from the menu. When I do this, the menu screen is exited and the Menu screen BGM keeps playing instead of reverting back to the maps BGM. How can I fix this? I've tried looking for something within the script that may have to do with this but I'm not finding it. Is this something that can be added to the script?

EDIT:

My problem was solved in the script support thread by changing the bottom part of the Scene_ItemBase to this:

def check_common_event
SceneManager.goto(Scene_Map) if $game_temp.common_event_reserved?
$game_temp.replay_map_music
end

Thanks to Maliki!

Edited by HumanNinja

So far I've tried a couple of things in regards to the map BGM not resuming when the menu is exited after using an item that calls a common event, neither of which worked.

def check_common_event
  SceneManager.goto(Scene_Map) if $game_temp.common_event_reserved?
  def replay_map_music
    @map_bgm.replay
    @map_bgs.replay
  end
end

I added this code (above) to the end of the animated column menu script within the class Scene_Map < Scene_Base. It did nothing. I also tried adding just this (below) to the end of the Scene_Itembase script.

def replay_map_music
  @map_bgm.replay
  @map_bgs.replay
end

Like I said, neither of these things worked. So if anyone has any insight into the matter I'd be more than happy to hear it. :)

EDIT: This is issue was resolved!

Edited by HumanNinja

I've got one more question concerning this script. How can I make the menu to be NOT transparent. I don't like how you can see the map underneath it. It makes the window graphic I have look very odd. Is this a change to be made in this script? Or is this something to be changed in the Base script?

EDIT: I've tried looking through both scripts to find a spot where the window opacity was changed but maybe I just missed it?

Edited by HumanNinja

Ah, hello! Very, very new to this whole scripting thing, but how would one go about setting the volume of the in-menu music? It's a good deal louder than the rest of my audio. 

Ah, hello! Very, very new to this whole scripting thing, but how would one go about setting the volume of the in-menu music? It's a good deal louder than the rest of my audio.

The Columns Menu has been updated to fix the issue with using common event items and not getting the map music back as well as adding a volume adjustment to the menu music.

UPDATES

Columns Menu