The game, like many of my horror games, will try to scare you without

too many of the typical "screamers", instead relying on atmosphere and

suspense.

Screenshots

BadDream_zps8df0fb34.png

Jungle_zpsbbd930d7.png

Hallway_zps1d235227.png

Download

Can be found here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/gkjb853b3ax117o/It_Moves.zip

Credits

Scripts by

Moghunter

YesImAaron

Tsukihime

modern algebra

V.M of D.T

Music by

MaterialErmudung

Frozen Silence

Lzn02

Based on a short story by Michael Whitehouse

Edited by SnowOwl

Updated with demo. Feedback appreciated.

Puzzles too hard/easy? Should I even have puzzles in the game?

How is the sound design?

The visuals?

The story?

Edited by SnowOwl

Hey there! I played your demo and this are some things I noticed c:

1.\\ In the intro the text sometimes suddenly goes to the next line, while there's enough space in the first line for one more word. It was a little distracting for me and it happened at some more parts in the game again.

2.\\ I kind of miss reactions from the main character. I think the game could be a lot more scary if the MC acted as if he was scared. Right now it's like he doesn't care at all because he doesn't seem to react to anything in those dreams/nightmares, which is the exact opposite of what he's saying in the bits where he is telling the story.

3.\\ There was not much to interact with in the game, which makes it a bit boring as the only thing you can do now is walk around.

4.\\ The first puzzle took me a while to figure out, though it's not impossible. The second one was pretty easy.

5.\\ The story is very interesting and I like your writing style.

6.\\ The maps/graphics look very nice! they suit the story and the atmosphere very nicely. However, in the second dream/nightmare it's hard to see the difference between ground and trees at first.

7.\\ The music is also very suiting for the game and creates a nice dark atmosphere. 

I think this could be a very great and scary game, if it wasn't for the lack of interactivity. The atmosphere you created is great, but in my opinion it is more like a visual novel than a game right now.

This is all just my opinion so I can understand if there are things you disagree with. 

I hope this helped you anyway and that I didn't offend you with any of this! ; o ;

Goodluck with completing it! 

1.\\ In the intro the text sometimes suddenly goes to the next line, while there's enough space in the first line for one more word. It was a little distracting for me and it happened at some more parts in the game again.

I guess this is true. I did this becaue I thought it would make it flow better. I'll check it over.

I think this could be a very great and scary game, if it wasn't for the lack of interactivity. The atmosphere you created is great, but in my opinion it is more like a visual novel than a game right now.

This is all just my opinion so I can understand if there are things you disagree with. 
I hope this helped you anyway and that I didn't offend you with any of this! ; o ;

Goodluck with completing it!

I'll be working on interactivity and reactions from the character, definitely. Also, I know it's a bit texty, but it will probably stay like that. Some puzzles here and there, some exploring, and then a chunk of story.

It might not be to everyones taste, but I find that I build up the atmosphere best that way.

I agree with most of your opinions, so it's fine.

Thanks!

Edited by SnowOwl

I'll be working on interactivity and reactions from the character, definitely. Also, I know it's a bit texty, but it will probably stay like that. Some puzzles here and there, some exploring, and then a chunk of story.

It might not be to everyones taste, but I find that I build up the atmosphere best that way.

I agree with most of your opinions, so it's fine.

Thanks!

I see, that sounds like a good plan! 

And you're welcome! I'm glad it was useful c:

Overall, good game.  I look forward to seeing the finished game.

Here are some issues I found and other minor gripes of mine:

Dream 1:  Puzzle at the beginning could be improved with a more buzzer-like sound when you get it wrong.  As it stands now it can take a few moments before realizing that it's a "press switches in certain order" puzzle.

In-between:  Is the green arrow on the bed really necessary?

Dream 2:  Maps have several dead end passages that look as if they are doors.

- There is no visual indicator of where the entrance to the house is.

- Puzzle is painfully obvious if the player writes down what effect each switch has.  Suggestion:  make the puzzle harder, but move all the switches to within sight of the blocks (right now, one of them is too far away).  Also a random possibility for this puzzle:  reset switch (not necessary, but it'd be convenient).

- MAJOR BUG:  I was unable to load the file saved at the start of this dream.  Loading the file does not crash the game.  What happens is, I am stuck at a black screen, with the correct sound effects, and then nothing happens.  Not sure if the character can move or not, since I can't see anything.

Dream 3:  Why no save before this one, since there was a save before the first 2?

- Also, doors.  It is not possible to pass through the ones on the left, so why are they there?

- Random thought - might other color choices (specifically, darker ones) look better for the animation when going through the doors?  It's very bright compared to the dark atmosphere.

Overall thoughts

1) More interactivity with objects is needed.

2) The atmosphere is very creepy, as intended.  Sound effects and visuals are very good and add to this very well.

3) The game has a very, very scary beginning, and as a result the other dreams just don't seem as creepy.  Shuffling around the order of the dreams should solve the problem.

Thank you for the feedback, your thoughts pretty much mirror mine at this time. I've actually already made some of the changes you've suggested.

Dream 1: I'll change the sound to something appropriate. Does the green arrow damage immersion? Is that why you noted it?

Dream 2: Already made major changes to both the puzzle and some dead-end passages and changed where the entrance is to the house. I also think I've fixed the bug.

It's good to know your thoughts were the same as mine, that makes it certain I made the right changes. I also added some major stuff to this dream to make it scarier, it just felt like a long corridor right now.

Dream 3: Save added, and I'm currently working on making this dream longer, along with some changes to the first part (the one that is in the demo.

I removed the animation when you go into the door and changed sounds, music and some visual effects).

The animation just felt really inappropiate, and ruined immersion, along with some of the sounds being kinda silly, and the music too "rocky".

I've added text to when you examine objects, that should add some interactivity. I'll look stuff over at a later date and maybe add some new stuff that you can interact with.

I'll add the changes to the demo in a couple of days time, I would love to hear your thougts on it then.

Edited by SnowOwl

I seriously loved the atmosphere of this game. I could totally imagine myself and what I'd do in the situation of that character. Can't wait until the  full version comes out!  :>

The last week I haven't actually added much new stuff. Instead I have been working on a area that I love in horror games. Ambient sounds. If you ask me, this is the difference between a good horror and a great horror. It's the kind of sound that nobody will ever thank you for adding, but it adds SO much to the experience.
Try playing virtually any great horror game without the sound and you will see what I mean.
I just love those distant moans and groans, buildings that creak and insects that buzz in the background.

The download is updated. I've been improving the ambient sounds and general BGS of the game (alot), I've also made small improvements (hopefully) in a lot of old areas, like adding creatures to the jungle, made some small changes to the intro, and a couple of other things. Basically I've tried to make the demo as good as it can possibly be. Apart from that, I've haven't really added much new stuff (finished the 3rd dream), but what's there should be pretty much the same quality through the whole thing. If not, feel free to tell me.
I'm feeling good about this release.

This game is amazing! I just wanted to share with you my thoughts on the game, and I am quite fond of it.

I have a deep respect for those who choose horror games as their path and don't rely on jump scares as their only substance. I hope this game goes places and that I will see a completed version some day. Good luck with your work.

It's... really good. It isn't the kind of horror game that uses tons of dumb jumpscares. That's what I love about it.

The graphics are amazing, the only thing it lacks is a "longer" gamestory, I wanted to know more about it, and I just hated when it automatically fast-forwarded the rest of the day and skipped directly to nighttime. >.< But still, hey, pretty amazing. 

(Pardon my english ew)

It's... really good. It isn't the kind of horror game that uses tons of dumb jumpscares. That's what I love about it.

The graphics are amazing, the only thing it lacks is a "longer" gamestory, I wanted to know more about it, and I just hated when it automatically fast-forwarded the rest of the day and skipped directly to nighttime. >.< But still, hey, pretty amazing. 

(Pardon my english ew)

I would love to make it longer, but I just don't have the time to do it. Just making this 1 hour game in the quality I demand of myself took me almost a year. There's also the fact that I tend to make games that doesn't take me years to finish, because honestly I just tire of making the same game for longer than a year.

I'll be making more games though, so there's always that to look forward to.

I've played a few of your other games and I've got to say, I love how atmospheric they all are

This one's definitely no different, it's just as creepy as the others

I love how you don't just jump right into the scares too

All that buildup makes the actual scares that much scarier

Also, I saw that Markiplier played this, so congrats on that!

I finally managed to play it, and I must say while not a heart-poundingly scary experience that left me gasping for air. It was definitely creepy. But most of all I found it very artistic and inspiring. It's definitely not a game full of cheap scares of which there are lots around (Although not really on the RPG maker engines who are more story-oriented) Each of them looked equally disturbing yet beautiful.

I loved it, thanks for making this game.

This game looks very interesting, I'm a big fan of horror. :)

How would you feel if I were to do a playthrough of your game and then present the video on YouTube? You'd get my first-hand reaction to everything (including any scares) and I'll be critiquing your work as I go along and give my final thoughts at the end. Also, I'll try to cut down on the jibber-jabber so viewers/you can hear key sounds and such. It'd actually be my first "Let's Play."

So when you feel like it, please respond. It's understandable if you'd rather no one/I didn't post footage of your game.

By the way...I'm tough to scare! :P

Here to report a bug~ I streamed this game last night and I encountered a simple mistransfer bug. In the church level in the room with the LONG staircase, going back transfers you two rooms back to the room with the face in the water. Just thought I'd let ya know. xD.