Sign in to follow this  
SnowOwl

It Moves (Horror)

https://youtu.be/cnDXChCVEYs

Here's part one of my let's play. It's good to watch how others play your game so you get an idea of how people playing it blind will react. As far as I'm concerned, this game doesn't punish you for anything. It's simply impossible to lose. And horror isn't about bloating the game with text to try to tell you that you're scared. This game tries so hard to say, "You're scared, and this is what's happening. Oh, and you're so scared." It's not scary. It's absolutely not fun or scary to read through text. This is a video game which is interactive. Reading a scary story is not interactive. There's monsters here and there, but no punishment for getting caught. The puzzles were cryptic and/or tedious. The maps have sort of the same problem most shooters get acused of doing. Too much of certain colors to try to portray a certain mood or realism (or lack thereof). But everything sort of blends together. There were pilars that I thought was floor and floors I thought were walls. Needs work. Not to mention, in the abyss, we're suddenly in water and there's absolutely no reasoning behind it. And the design of the first map has you believe you're supposed to go right, but you're supposed to go left.

Not to mention, these paths are absolutely beyond linear. They're a hallways. With only one way to do things. If you want replay value, you should have multiple ways to do some things.

I could continue ripping this game apart, but this game did scare me at a few points. And everyone here says it was good because it didn't have obvious and overused jumpscares. But the jumpscares are what scared me in the game. For chapters two and three, I became scared to progress because I didn't want to be scared. but then the rest killed the jumpscares and I was no longer scared to try to progress. The tension and release cycle was almost there, and then you just took it away. The two times I was really scared in the above video were my favorite parts of the game.

But, hell, if this game did improve drastically, I might want to speedrun it. But in its current state, I don't want to play it and I couldn't recommend it to anybody.

I think your story is pretty scary. Imagine yourself being on the top bunk and being shaken by an unknown entity night by night. That was freaking scary. You are a very good storyteller.

The puzzle can still be improved further.

The game was well made, and told a nice story. Two things I had to point out. In the school level where you go to the room with those two large creatures in it walking back and forth one of them, the one on the top, stopped it's cycle and I ended up getting suck behind it in the top corner of the room. Second thing, I have to agree with Reiden, the water level does feel a tad out of place. Granted, I haven't read the creepypasta so I don't know how it actually goes. I love horror games and it was nice to see something a little less traditional, very creepy atmosphere. I'm kind of the nearly unscareable type, but my bf watched me play and it spooked him a little a few times. Good work.