Sign in to follow this  
The Dragon God

New Idea for DDC:PS

I apologize if this idea should be within my Thread for DDC:PS, I choose to write this separately because IF no one likes it, I don't want to mislead people to think I'll add it to my game.

Ok, I've been thinking of ways to intergret lore into the game in a way that players will make a effort to actually study up on it. My solution is by using puzzles. But not in the traditional way, instead I came up with the idea to put puzzles by Save Crystals.

Why Save Crystals? Simply because they are a necessity, players will need them. So I figure to aim their attention to lore, I thought hey put puzzles by the Save Crystals. For their efforts, they gained access to items and can save their files.

Edited by The Dragon God

It makes sense. After saving their game they will see the puzzle easily and take it on. I'm assuming they will have to research the topic outside the game or already have that knowledge to beat it. Items are always good as rewards.

The puzzles will be intergreted/used as the path to to save crystals to gain access to them. In some way, lore of the world will be used. As players try to figure out the puzzles, knowing the lore of the world will help them either solve the puzzles or be added as part of the rewards aside from getting items and maybe equipment.

So you have to do a puzzle before you can save the game? That could get frustrating

Save Crystals would probably be a bad idea.

Yes, reading up on lore is essential for your game, but, especially in larger dungeons, this only acts to punish players if they don't read up. Moreover, even if they don't they will just use a game guide to access it anyway.

Consider adding other benefits such as loot or healing fountains, but probably not save crystals. In addition, have a timer count down once the question triggers, forcing them to recall the question from memory rather than consult a guide.

So you have to do a puzzle before you can save the game? That could get frustrating

Good point lol. Funny, I thought to put monsters in the way too. 

Save Crystals would probably be a bad idea.

Yes, reading up on lore is essential for your game, but, especially in larger dungeons, this only acts to punish players if they don't read up. Moreover, even if they don't they will just use a game guide to access it anyway.

Consider adding other benefits such as loot or healing fountains, but probably not save crystals. In addition, have a timer count down once the question triggers, forcing them to recall the question from memory rather than consult a guide.

Hmm would someone even try, I have no plans for a game guide yet. Hmm I like save crystals. XD

What is a save fountain, you mean by drinking water at a specific spot, they'll heal and be able to save? I like that. Makes sense, or I'll split it, a fountain to heal and a journal nearby to save. That way it isn't too much like Breath of Fire. Hey what if my puzzles have timers, players solve them by using lore and paths are open and they get loot? IF so Idk yet how I'll put lore into this. Hmm books and tomes laying about, players can't collect them so this makes them memorize and the lore is brought uo thru puzzles with questions.

This sounds more like an interactive Computer Based Training (CBT) that the U.S. Air Force uses to conduct online training. Boring. People are forced to study up on a subject that does not interest them and the program tries to make it interesting by introducing games or puzzles to capture the interest of the user. Unless the story is as interesting as something like Chrono Trigger, you should be very careful how you use this. I think a demo would be best to gauge everyone's opinion. This could be a really great idea, or an equally bad one.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by undefind