Sign in to follow this  
Wendell

Skills for a Cowboy?

Hey fellas!

I was wondering... what kind of skills a Cowboy can have? I thought about a couple of skills, such as an Aimed Shot that causes double damage with 100% fo critical chance... but I'm having a hard time thinking about new skills. Maybe I should watch some old Clint Eastwood cowboy movies...

Rodeo Shot

Description: A complex shooting ability that requires power but delivers a powerful blow.

Lasso Catch

Description: Uses lasso to lock the opponent's movements for 5 turns.

Double Shot

Description: A double pistol shot.

Grand Rodeo

Description: An unavoidable shotgun blow that destroys a number of enemies.

:P I really liked them, I'll try to make a nice sprite animation for the Lasso Catch, as I'm using Victor's Animated Battle Script. Thank you!

PS: I'm still open to more suggestions, there's a few Cowboys in my game that will have different skills!

Edited by Wendell

Be careful with the word "Rodeo", since in most countries where the cowboy (vaquero, etc) is a part of their culture "rodeo" (or "rodeio") is usually equivalent of the "torada" where they put the animals through a great deal of suffering. This might cause some issues even when that's not your intention.

Be careful with the word "Rodeo", since in most countries where the cowboy (vaquero, etc) is a part of their culture "rodeo" (or "rodeio") is usually equivalent of the "torada" where they put the animals through a great deal of suffering. This might cause some issues even when that's not your intention.

uh.... beef in the USA...  torture, what?    yeah....

so,  "kicking star" or " "kicking stars"  or "sling spur/ spur sling" or something cause those things are meant to be felt and  spurred roundhouse is gonna do some damage.

"Hoedown" as a charm spell on the opposite gender(or brokeback)      history: cowboys would where their handkerchiefs in the crotch of their pants while hearding cattle on the range and then where them around their neck at the dance. This was done to allure a suitable match via pheromones.    i think it would be funny to hear some honky tonk and watch a cowboy smack someone in the face with a sweaty rag for a charm spell..

"Branding"  could take control of a beast or get extra loot from it when butchered.

"Prairie fire"  burn and/or blind with thick smoke

When I think of a person who uses a lot of guns, I think either 'soldier' or 'gunner'. I don't think of just the gun when I think of cowboy.

To me, a cowboy is a roughneck fighter. The ultimate "git-er-dun" type of character who is the first to get their hands dirty and the first to play dirty tricks.

I like Rudy from Wild Arms as an idea for a cowboy type. Hits hard and fast with a trusty knife to deal with weaker foes, and finishes off stronger foes with gun abilities.

Here are a few ideas like that:

1) Brawl: a cowboy is no stranger to wrestling down an enemy. This melee attack partially ignores enemy defense.

2) Hair trigger: Any good cowboy should be able to shoot quickly. A swift skill that goes before all other characters and enemies.

3) Lizard Oil: an old trick to oils to loosen up the hands. This skill increases the cowboy's speed and aim for a while.

4) Shoot 'Em Up!: A stylish gun trick. With a revolver in one hand and bullets in the other, he sprays every shot he has; reloading and firing as fast as he can In a grand display of speed. This attack damages all enemies.

5) Salt Shot: A dirty trick to take out a strong target. Fires a salt shell that wounds and burns the target for damage over time.

Just a few ideas that come mind when I think of a gun/melee hybrid like a cowboy.

Cowboy sounds like a neat class, should you get it done right. A lot of skills were given already, but here's some

Tumbleweed - Everyone cannot use Magic for the remainder of the turn

Crack Shot - Ignores half of the Target's DEF, but has extremely poor accuracy

Spit Shine - Increases Critical Chance for the next 2 turns

Spit Shot - Debuffs an Enemy's ATK and DEF for 5 turns; Doubles the User's Threat for 5 turns

Chamber Check - Increases Attack Times of next regular attack to 3

Blunderbuss - Deals high damage to 2-3 Random Enemies; User suffers recoil damage

Fisticuffs - Removes current weapon and doubles ATK for 5 turns (Cannot use Skills involving Weapons)

Mug Chug - (Requires and consumes Item) Reduces Accuracy and incoming damage by 25% for 5 turns

Edited by AJNR

Very unorthodox class to use, but lots of room for creativity.

You're probably looking at a hybrid gunslinger and brawler/disabler class though.

Quick Draw

- Deals a normal attack with a speed modifier larger enough to always go first in a battle.

Sand Kick

- Stirs up the sand, blinding 3 random enemies on the field for a single turn.

Desperado

- In a panic, prepares to unload his entire clip, attacking anywhere between 1 to 6 times, but unable to move on the next turn while reloading.

Flaming Moonshine

- Lights all the pistol rounds on fire, dealing additional fire damage and applying Burn on the target. However, each shot also singes the Cowboy, costing a small amount of health per shot.

RPG Cowboy?  The first thing that comes to mind is Irvine from Final Fantasy VIII.  His special moves all revolve around the use of a gun, but with different types of ammo as his skill.  

I'd really tailor the class to however you're planning to use it in your story.  Is he a "historical" type cowboy, with most of his skills in animal handling, with some self-defense gun skills against bandits?  Is he a "TV western" type cowboy?  A lawful-neutral "sheriff?"  or a lawful "for the common good" mercenary type?  Or a "stylized" cowboy "gunslinger" with almost superhuman gun control skills?

Summon Buffalo Herd + Flaming Whiskey Explosion + Status Effect Harmonica + Dynamite = Awesome.

Don't forget ragtime music on the piano in doublequick time accompanying a shootout.

Horseback Shot

Description: A Level 2 cowboy skill that deals medium damage to the enemies.

Cowpuncher

Description: A bare hand skill that strikes the vital parts of the enemy.

Thompson Bullet

Description: A defense ignoring troop killing skill.

Mustang Cheer

Description: Raises the defense strategy of the party.

Roundup

Description: Raises the speed strategy / awareness of the party.

The gunslinger moves never disappoint me, but they tend to trust their pistols more than anything else, so I'll provide pistol-related moves that I can post here.

Ricochet Shot

A bit tricky but by rebounding the bullet impact from the target, this will deal damage to one nearby enemy target as well

> Bullet Bouncer

Performs Ricochet Shot but the bullet will bounce 2-5 times among nearby enemies including target

Sleigh of Hand

Improves speed of drawing a bead on target, pulling trigger and reloading. In short, improves self's attack speed

Wheel of Fortune

Deliberately shoots an enemy target. Since the damage range and effect is highly varied, this will deal high damage to target, knocks enemy down, or deal slight damage with parrying effect

Westman Brandish

Draws a blunderbuss and shoots it single-handedly. Deals damage to enemies in front of shooter. Damage range is moderate, and takes more time to reload before it can be used again. The shooting pose is unique, hence the 'Westman Brandish' coined.

Well I have a kinda funny skill idea xD

Milk the Cow!

A cow shows up in the battlefield and heals you using milk ♥ hehehe~ 

Trick Shot: (More like a special ability)

90% accuracy when has the status effect "blinded." (Reminds me of cowboys who can shoot blindfolded).

Fire Water (Combat Item)

Increases Attack and Stamina, Decreases Accuracy

Whistlin' Dixie (Technique)

Summons a horse named "Dixie" to make a quick escape. Useful for situations where you need to get the heck on outta there.

:)

Trick Shot: (More like a special ability)

90% accuracy when has the status effect "blinded." (Reminds me of cowboys who can shoot blindfolded).

Fire Water (Combat Item)

Increases Attack and Stamina, Decreases Accuracy

Whistlin' Dixie (Technique)

Summons a horse named "Dixie" to make a quick escape. Useful for situations where you need to get the heck on outta there.

:)

May Dixie come with a Wagon, to carry the other party members as well?  :lol: I liked it!

EDIT: how's the formula to check if the player has a status effect on him?

Edited by Wendell

EDIT: how's the formula to check if the player has a status effect on him?

Try this:

c=x;if a.state?(n);c=y;end;c

Where x is your damage formula without the state, y is the formula with the state, and n is your state's ID number.

Edited by Kentard

No one has said Stampede? That would be cool. Just a bunch of cows charging through a battlefield. 

I don't know how serious this game is supposed to be, or how real life or fairy tale your cowboy is either. Stampede would be on the not too serious side though.

Heres an idea I came up with awhile back...

Cowboy starts each battle with 6 tp (max tp is 6 by the way)

• Quick Draw - instant attack for half damage - 1 turn cool down timer - costs 1 tp
  • Double Shot - attack a target 2x in a row - costs 2 tp
  • Trick Shot - hits all foes - costs 3 tp
  • Slug Shot - does half damage but ignores target's DEF - costs 1 tp
  • Reload - restores all tp

Tp is acting as bullets for a six shooter pistol

Edited by Omen613