TheoAllen

Theolized Sideview Battle System (Version 1.4 + Patch!)

Theolized Sideview Battle System

(Or if you prefer, you may call it Theo Animated Battle)

Original Post : Theolized Sideview BS
Version : 1.3c (Stable) / 1.4 (Open Beta)
Type : Battle System / Battle Engine

Opening :
This is my first battle system script and my masterpiece script so far. At first, I made this script for my own personal use. Back then when Ace was released, I always wanted an English version of Tankentai. But I heard nothing about the translation. I thought it was impossible tankentai to be translated to English. Moreover, it has bad compatibility to other scripts. Then I looked at avalaible battle scripts, and not even a single script I like. I just don't get the idea of those scripts. Then, hence my ambition started. 

Introduction :
This script was greatly inspired from Tankentai VX version and Eremidia : Dungeon! game. It's mainly aimed for free sequence animated battle without standard. I mean, there is no such a thing like "play all frames in row x" (the reason why I did this is because I hate standards). You can pick any grid in your spriteset. You can even use unorganized spriteset if you're too lazy to make one. As long as the format is consistent.

To be noted that this script is not avalaible in English version yet. But you can try my sample game before you decided to wait for translate version or not.

Translation done! Enjoy now! :D

Features :

• Animated battle of course
  • Free battler sequence
  • Free format battler sprite. You can even use unorganized spriteset as long as the format is consistent
  • Built-in damage counter
  • The rest are written in script ... and my sample game ...

Screenshots (Taken from old version) :

ss30.jpg
AED13.jpg
ss23.jpg
ss36.jpg

Video :
video for version 1.3 (also trailer for the sample game)

video for version 1.4

video for setup demonstration

You can look at my playlist if you want more

Scripts :
Scripts Download = github repository (old version, havent update it yet)
Demo = Sample Game

Version 1.4 (Beta) : Click here | Mirror
Animation Samples / Alternative demo : Click here | Mirror

Note :
If you want to download in solidfiles. Here is the way

7Drgida.jpg

IMPORTANT! Patch for version 1.4 - Last updated: 04.02.2015
Just various bugfixes. Most likely going to stable version
https://github.com/theoallen/TSBS/blob/master/Patch/Version%201.4%20Bugfixes.rb

How to patch? Simply put it below implementation
tsbs-patch.jpg

Newly Released addon :

Questions and Answers :

Q: Is it has a high compatibility?
A: Maybe yes, maybe no. I alter the damage flows. Any script that also alter the damage flow will highly not compatible. Such as YEA - Area of Effect or Lunatic Damage. But I haven't touch the HUD so var. I only provide animated battle sprite. So It's possible if you want to put any style of HUD for your battle system. It's also compatible with YEA Free turn battle, and Sabakhan Ao no Kiseki BS, and formar ATB (It should go under my script), EST - Ring System, AEA - Charge Turn Battle. Luna Engine. Doesn't work with Ocedic Motion Battle Camera.

In version 1.4, I tested the compatibility among various Yanfly Script. So, mine gonna be compatible with most of Yanfly's Include AoE or Lunatic series. Also, I have my own battle camera addon if you want.

Q: Can I use holder battler?
A: Yes, you can. But it will little bit troublesome. Since holder battler format has many rows in single battler image. I recommend you to split it up.

Q: Can I use animated enemy?
A: Yes, you can. Please read the #14 post to see the video sample

Q: What do you mean by "Format is consistent"?
A: If you decided to make 3x4 spriteset format like Kaduki do, then the rest of your battler sprites should also 3x4

Q: Can you make this script compatible with ...
A: No ... http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/110/b/5/scripter_by_theoallen-d7fchsv.jpg But I will try if I like the script. As for Victor's scripts, it's a big NO.

Q: The xxx script is better than yours
A: I don't mind. I made it for my personal use afterall.

Terms of Use :

Q: What is the general ToU of this script?
A: Simply credit me as TheoAllen.

Q: May I use this script in Commercial games?
A: Yes. And you have to give me a free copy of the game.

Q: May I repost this script to other site?
A: Yes.

Q: May I edit this script?
A: Yes. Do as you want. And do not claim if it's yours

Q: May I take some money profit by editing this script?
A: No.

Q: May I translate the script to other language?
A: Yes.

Q: May I use this script for contest/challenge?
A: If it's non-profit challenge, yes. If it's profit challenge (like monetary gain), then NO.

Q: May I sell the third party script/addon?
A: No.

Special Thanks :

• Eremidia : Dungeon!, some of script features are inspired on it
  • Mithran, for Graphical global object reference. If it's not by his script, I may not finish my battle system.
  • TDS, I found your basic movement module script on RMRK long time ago. Then I adopt it and I rewrote by my own.
  • Galenmereth for easing movement module
  • CielScarlet and Skourpy for the Translations

Author notes :

• I use in script editor to make sequence movement instead of too many notetags as Symphony and Victor's do. It because there're already many script that uses notetags and notebox itself has no scroll.
  • As you know, I'm not so good at English. So I'm sorry in advance if there's any unclear informations. Feel free to ask

Version 1.4 Release note :

• My aim is to make it compatible with Luna Engine without extra patch. However, I haven't tested it with the latest version of TSBS.
  • It's still beta version. In other word, it may have many issues. You may test the script, but if you're going into real development, I suggest you to use the stable version 1.3c instead.
  • I haven't update the github at the moment. Considering it's still beta. Script must be taken by download the demo.
  • I changed the config 1 and config 2 parts. So, you need to update them as well.
  • Battle backdrop decoration addon is not translated yet. There're too many instructions that I can't really handle right now. Perhaps, sometimes. Also, it has a little glitch which I currently dunno how to fix. if you use Alarm Tone, in next battle that not use alarm tone, there 1 frame glitch where the screen blended with a wrong tone.
  • Sorry if the demo looks so messed up. I don't have the will to clear that up "OTL
  • TSBS version 1.4 will not updated. If you reported a bug, I will likely to make the patch instead.
  • Battle music taken from Dragonic Symphony if you wonder.
  • I added extra showcase of my scripts like animated portrait and hover notif :P
  • Want to use the map BGM? That's mine, go ahead if you want to use. And you need to credit me as well.
  • After these hardworks, I will likely to take a very long break and will not touch anything complex related with the battle system (unless I choose to). But I will still provide the support for TSBS as long as I'm avalaible.
Edited by TheoAllen

Pretty nice script. Will come in handy for alot of users ^_^ 

So, if I understand the description correctly, this means I can use animated battlers in all sorts of different sizes with lots of different animations without having to stick to that one grid?

So could I do something like.. have a victory animation that's more than 4 frames?

Or have multiple different attack animations for different moves?

if so, this is an AMAZING system! I've been wishing for something like this for ages! :D

You can set it up on actor position on the script configurations.

It's simply define specific coordinates by the order of your party members.

For example, the first actor index is on [430,230]. Meanwhile the second one is on [450,250], etc ...

I think I may just about die of happiness! This is perfect in every possible way! Looking forward to the translations ^_^

A strange idea but.. would there be any way to have double animations? I mean like.. each party member has what looks like another party member behind them, but really its just a picture being drawn there for visual effect. (So it doesn't move when the actual actor moves to attack, it just stays standing there. So I can't do it just by drawing another character on the spritesheet otherwise they'd run everywhere together.)

Its for a somewhat silly idea of mine where all the characters summon monsters to fight. So I wanted to show the summoner standing behind the monster even when they're not useable, because it would look cool. It'd also be cool if they could do different animations (but not attack), but I'm fine even if I can just put a static image of the character in the corner.

Its like.. has anyone played Jade Cocoon 2? Well, your character's always standing behind his monsters there, even if he's completely useless. In that game there's actually a complicated thing where if you can manage to hit the human characters then you win the fight, but I don't need anything like that.

Sorry, I suck at explaining things! Just wanted to know if this is possible in this system. If not, I'll just do pokemon style where the human character only shows up in the intro animation and then stays offscreen.

I think I may just about die of happiness! This is perfect in every possible way! Looking forward to the translations ^_^

A strange idea but.. would there be any way to have double animations? I mean like.. each party member has what looks like another party member behind them, but really its just a picture being drawn there for visual effect. (So it doesn't move when the actual actor moves to attack, it just stays standing there. So I can't do it just by drawing another character on the spritesheet otherwise they'd run everywhere together.)

Its for a somewhat silly idea of mine where all the characters summon monsters to fight. So I wanted to show the summoner standing behind the monster even when they're not useable, because it would look cool. It'd also be cool if they could do different animations (but not attack), but I'm fine even if I can just put a static image of the character in the corner.

Its like.. has anyone played Jade Cocoon 2? Well, your character's always standing behind his monsters there, even if he's completely useless. In that game there's actually a complicated thing where if you can manage to hit the human characters then you win the fight, but I don't need anything like that.

Sorry, I suck at explaining things! Just wanted to know if this is possible in this system. If not, I'll just do pokemon style where the human character only shows up in the intro animation and then stays offscreen.

Not sure if I understand you explanation. But I slightly get the idea (maybe). A simple mockup may help me to understand

However, I'm afraid that by TSBS (Yeah, by battle system abbreviation is TSBS) could grant your wish.

I love it!

Thanks XD

Sorry if my question is already answered, but... it only works with kaduki sprites? Or can I use a single spritesheet of a single character to customize its poses, like Victor's Animated Battle?

It works for any style of spriteset (kaduki, holder, or even your own template). All you need to do is if you decided to make 3x4 battler format, the the rest of your battler format should also 3x4. Don't worry about the template like "The first row should idle anim" or such. I offer a feature that you can free pick any grid in your spriteset. It may be a tedious works on its sequence. But, that is why I made this battle system

The battler image filename itself is adopted from tankentai where you should named your battler name in number such as Eric_1, Eric_2 ...

Cool!

One more thing... Can I use spritesheets for the enemies, and customize their behavior in battle like the actors (abilities, dead pose, under status effect, etc) ?

You have two options. Make static battler just like the sample video

Or make it animated. The default is not animated. You know, it's very rare to find any animated enemy battler than actor. Especially monster.

Here is the example of animated enemy

Awesome work Theo :)

I think this would help a lot of: Tankentai users like me (I was using Tankentai for a long time and this is a messy battle system and there's no much support). I'll be using this Battle System if I thought of a game that fits this.

Thanks for sharing us an amazing script <3

Awesome work Theo :)

I think this would help a lot of: Tankentai users like me (I was using Tankentai for a long time and this is a messy battle system and there's no much support). I'll be using this Battle System if I thought of a game that fits this.

Thanks for sharing us an amazing script <3

Thanks...

The script configuration itself may looks identical with tankentai. But, overall is not the same. A friend of mine ever said that it's more like Yanfly Engine Melody if I remember. Well, I haven't look at YEM myself.

Just wait, another friend of mine is already willing to help me for the translation.

Though, I can't guaranteed if she will finish it very soon.

I'm sorry I explained my request very badly! I'll get back to you once I figure out how to phrase it better or how to do a mockup pic. Sorry for the trouble!

Looking for translation? Wanting to see the TSBS in another sprite format?

Since this script is made by my friend, I'm willing to translate the documentations and some of vital things in the script. Hope I can make some add-ons, too, to accomodate some of the users' needs.

Nice progress, fella. 

You can set it up on actor position on the script configurations.

It's simply define specific coordinates by the order of your party members.

For example, the first actor index is on [430,230]. Meanwhile the second one is on [450,250], etc ...

Sick. That helps for when battlers face the screen XD

I already told you how great the script was and how I enjoyed playing the demo even not understanding a single word (well, maybe I could guess a few).

I can't change the battle system mid-project, but if this translation is ready when I start to work on my next one, this one's probably the #1 choice.

Good work!

Thank you guys ...

However, some of my friends insist to change the script name. As you know, the current name is Theolized Sideview Battle System and has TSBS as abbreviation. They said that it's sound hard to remember. Moreover some of them said that the abbrv. itself may contains many meanings. Some other said that it could be "tactical side battle system" meanwhile other said it could be "tankentai sideview battle system".

Since it's not already distributed in international. I think, it's not to late to change the script name to be more catchy. Such as Symphony, Sapphire, etc ...

What do you think guys? Do you have any problem with the current name of this script? Or do you prefer more catchy one?

I already have alternative name here

This is a great sideview battle system, The configuration is mostly similar to Tankentai VX.. (it was way too much , and more complicated than The Battle Engine Symphony), and I hope it's not laggy enough. 

I would like learn the script first and I will use this for my own reference later. Many thanks.