xs.png

XS - Map Hud

Version 1.0b

Introduction
A fully functional map hud with a few neat features. See more below!

Features

• Easy to change location of the HUD.
  • Animated! The ability to choose which effect to use when the hud is animating in. Note: This may need some tweaking if you wish to change the positioning of the hud.
  • Show a icon of your choice next to the name.
  • Turn it on/off with a switch.
  • Replace the name if you want something else to be shown instead. (i.e if you have a dungeon with lots of maps and you want it to show the same name for every map_id use this feature.)
  • Show the HUD only for certain map IDs.
  • Should be free from lag as in It will update only when a map has changed.
  • Dynamic width. This means the hud's width is based on the map name width which is good as you don't need to worry about too long map names.
  • And more!

Screenshots

xs-map-hud.jpg

xs-map-hud2.jpg

How to Use
To install this script, open up your script editor and copy/paste this script to an open slot below Materials but above Main. Remember to save.

Script
Get the script here and the Core Script.

Updates
Released 1.0b: The hud is now dynamic, which means the width is based on the map name's width. This version also corrects a minor bug. With this update you need the latest Core Script as well.

Credit
Do credit me, Nicke, if you are planing on using this script. Thanks.
Can be use in a commercial project.

Edited by Nicke

If I remember you were using this in Tale of Hirion, your VX game. I'm definitely going to get this once I fix my scripts up and such.

Nice adition.

It would be more free of lag if you completely dispose the window instead of

making it invisible, the window is still there contributing to the lag production

It seems like the map's name gets cut off, this there a way to fix it?

Go to line 198 and replace

@width = @dummy.text_size($game_map.name).width + 46

with

@width = @dummy.text_size($game_map.name).width + 220

That's how I got it from cutting off.

If your map titles are even longer, try raising the 220 higher, but try 220 first.

It seems like the map's name gets cut off, this there a way to fix it?

Go to line 198 and replace

@width = @dummy.text_size($game_map.name).width + 46

with

@width = @dummy.text_size($game_map.name).width + 220

That's how I got it from cutting off.

If your map titles are even longer, try raising the 220 higher, but try 220 first.

Thank you so much for the help Kouta

The width also depends on what font and size you are using. If you are using a big size such as 24 or even bigger what @KoutaStepp said will do the trick. I guess the "text_size" method isn't that flexible as I would have wanted it to be but it will hopefully work if you change the 46 to something bigger.

Sir Nicke i can`t access all your scripts i think all. Or maybe i can`t access the website!! can you put you`re scripts in pastebin please!!!!!!! I really need you`re scripts!!

can you make this plug in play on a brand new project? because I cant get it to work despite my noobness ive figured out more complicated scripts.

hmm, i cant seem to get it to work with my game, then again i might be messing something up in the script. it just seems to be like the regular map display.

Did you activate the default switch which the script uses to enable/disable the HUD?

uhm, i do not think so, not sure how to do that still new with scripts

first you need to have the core script

you will put this script under it (don't care how fare but under

check the script in the first lines is true

then what you will want to do is test (am using victor saint hub so)go on a map and press the letter d and if no effect go use an event to play with variable 1

If still having probs read the first lines of the script the ones in green

Did you activate the default switch which the script uses to enable/disable the HUD?

uhm, i do not think so, not sure how to do that still new with scripts

x.x i dont know how to do that, im new with scripts too

This script doesn't seem to work if you place it in a project with pre-existing maps. However the script will run fine if you start a new game. Is there a way to fix this? I currently have 33 maps in my game and going to be making PLENTY more and I have to debug each one and I want to make sure this script plays nice as well. Any advise or a hot fix?

Scratch my whole post. Looks like I need to load it at the top of my game.

Mod please delete if needed unless it should be kept here for reference.

​**Issue still exists.

Edited by HalestormXV

This script doesn't seem to work if you place it in a project with pre-existing maps. However the script will run fine if you start a new game. Is there a way to fix this? I currently have 33 maps in my game and going to be making PLENTY more and I have to debug each one and I want to make sure this script plays nice as well. Any advise or a hot fix?

what do you mean by load at the top of your game? care to help me with that?

Ok ppl you will see that in the top pf the script it asks you for a number that is the number of the switch you need to activate for the hub to apear

what do you mean by load at the top of your game? care to help me with that?

That didn't work either. It seems to be very picky. The other day it worked fine when I created a new map. Today I created a new map and tested it but the second i tried to transfer into the map with the HUD switch turned on the game crashed again saying XS - Map HUD line 118: NoMethodError occured. undefined method 'name' for nil:NilClass

So to be honest I really can't figure it out. I have narrowed it down to this though. If you try and load a saved game that previously had this script running. But then you create a new map and try to load that map with this script still running your game will crash. Its as if it is not able to read the data by fresh maps. A new game seems to have to be re-created in order for all the maps to index into the script.

Yes anavn1, most of us very well know that you need to make sure to enable a switch to show the HUD. The issue is not that, for me at least, it is the script crashing my game no matter what load order it's in, if it is loaded into a pre-existing project and you add new maps to it.

Edited by HalestormXV