I really like the lighting you did for the character in the background. : D The glow of his eyes easily stands out, and looks very natural reflected on the rest of his face. You also did a really great job with the amount detail on his armor, especially considering that it's black.

Very nice and looking forward to what you make for the Pantheon. : 3

I really like the lighting you did for the character in the background. : D The glow of his eyes easily stands out, and looks very natural reflected on the rest of his face. You also did a really great job with the amount detail on his armor, especially considering that it's black.

Very nice and looking forward to what you make for the Pantheon. : 3

I'm going to be so indecisive with the Pantheon avatar, haha! If I'm the last one to submit this time, it will be because of that.

As far as the drawing goes, thank you very much ^_^ I revamped as much as I could considering it is an old drawing and there

were things I would have altered completely (but I'm too lazy) I'm getting better with the colouring and lighting/shadow thing,

but I know there is still a ways to go before its how I see it in my head.

I do have a question for you: If you use SAI (though you better be using Photoshop with how you colour, lol), what brushes

do you find work best for certain things, specifically. Some artists make their own brushes to mimic tools in real life, but that is

with PS and I have an older version, though it might still be able to do it. I'm very new to textures, but I'm also seeing that

it is also the type of brush that can determine a look as well. This came to mind when doing the wings; it is hard to portray

feathers without drawing each and every one. If I sound like I'm rambling, ignore me nicely and say you have

no idea, haha! 

Nearly forgot! Working on finishing another set of WIPs. Progress thus far...

Raidou Kuzunoha XV WIP

raidou_kuzunoha_wip_by_obsidiantrance-d8

Phantom Sorcerer Orion WIP

phantom_sorcerer_wip_by_obsidiantrance-d

Edited by BluMiu

I do have a question for you: If you use SAI (though you better be using Photoshop with how you colour, lol), what brushes

do you find work best for certain things, specifically. Some artists make their own brushes to mimic tools in real life, but that is

with PS and I have an older version, though it might still be able to do it. I'm very new to textures, but I'm also seeing that

it is also the type of brush that can determine a look as well. This came to mind when doing the wings; it is hard to portray

feathers without drawing each and every one. If I sound like I'm rambling, ignore me nicely and say you have

no idea, haha!

Actually... i do only use Sai. xD But i use Photoshop occasionally for backgrounds.

Tbh, i just use the 2 acrylic brushes (from our PM), along with the regular brush, and airbrush. This is because i draw the textures by hand.

I use the regular brush to draw the textures, but i also made a "stipling" tool for doing the leaves on trees. 

For which brushes to use for when--- personally, i try to pick them based on what shading needs to be done, not based on what the object or texture is (if that makes sense). : ) So, i try not to pick the brush based on what needs to be drawn, but, on how something could be shaded:

For areas on a material with moderate shadows (like clothes, skin, fur/feathers, water, strands of hair... etc.), I do them with the medium-blend acrylic brush.

For areas on a material with soft shadows (like hair, clothes, sometimes skin, sometimes fur/feathers, paper, dull metal... etc.), I use the softer-blend acrylic brush.

For strong highlights (like on metal, water, edges of plastic), textures, and fine details (like loose strands of fur, distant scales), i use the regular brush. But i have my brush set up like this:

30GxwMx.jpg

For soft highlights or very soft shadows (like rubber, leather, glows from light; diffused shadows), i use the airbrush.

I hope that isn't too confusing? So, for example: For feathers, i would (try) to pick which brush to use based on how the feathers need to be shaded/highlighted, not based on what it is. So there isn't really a specific brush i use to draw feathers, just certain brushes based on how close/far the feathers are, or lighting conditions.

Btw, for the feathers, it might help you a lot to focus on the whole shape of what it is and drawing it that way. : D Because if you draw each feather, i.e.,

wNwabWq.jpg

it might be much harder and you might have to erase a lot later!

no idea, haha!

Actually... i do only use Sai. xD But i use Photoshop occasionally for backgrounds.

Tbh, i just use the 2 acrylic brushes (from our PM), along with the regular brush, and airbrush. This is because i draw the textures by hand.

I use the regular brush to draw the textures, but i also made a "stipling" tool for doing the leaves on trees. 

For which brushes to use for when--- personally, i try to pick them based on what shading needs to be done, not based on what the object or texture is (if that makes sense). : ) So, i try not to pick the brush based on what needs to be drawn, but, on how something could be shaded:

For areas on a material with moderate shadows (like clothes, skin, fur/feathers, water, strands of hair... etc.), I do them with the medium-blend acrylic brush.

For areas on a material with soft shadows (like hair, clothes, sometimes skin, sometimes fur/feathers, paper, dull metal... etc.), I use the softer-blend acrylic brush.

For strong highlights (like on metal, water, edges of plastic), textures, and fine details (like loose strands of fur, distant scales), i use the regular brush. But i have my brush set up like this:

30GxwMx.jpg

For soft highlights or very soft shadows (like rubber, leather, glows from light; diffused shadows), i use the airbrush.

I hope that isn't too confusing? So, for example: For feathers, i would (try) to pick which brush to use based on how the feathers need to be shaded/highlighted, not based on what it is. So there isn't really a specific brush i use to draw feathers, just certain brushes based on how close/far the feathers are, or lighting conditions.

Btw, for the feathers, it might help you a lot to focus on the whole shape of what it is and drawing it that way. : D Because if you draw each feather, i.e.,

wNwabWq.jpg

it might be much harder and you might have to erase a lot later!

You come across loud and clear, so no worries :)Thank you so much for taking the time to give such a response and sorry for late reply. Very helpful as I don't exactly have a structured

way of doing things when it comes to shading, more comes from intuition before I stick to something. I'm not sure if I have 3 types of

acrylic brushes (if they have to be made) as I loaded new brushes into my template. How do you go about creating a custom brush in

SAI? Oh wait, I'll try looking it up :P

Ah, I see. I'll be sure to kee that in mind. I tried drawing the wings as a whole once before and was challenging as I was not used to it.

Pretty much painting it in and highlighting feathers by shadowing and light. Not used to that so it turned out...yeah. XD

But I do draw feather by feather normally, and admittedly had lazy times where it did look like the wing on the right, lol! Had to erase it

in the end of course. Good-to-know information though, and thanks so much again for going through the trouble of answering my question!

I really appreciate it, Bugs~

On another note, I did start working on something very different last night. I start going in depth with my story again; filling out more detials

in my timeline and realized I needed to redo the world map. I'll likely have to do more that focus on countries more specifically, but an

atlas style one was needed so I looked up some tutorials. Shockingly, it wasn't as hard as I thought! Just requires time and knowing

what your doing on Photoshop (which I don't). I thought I might show what I have so far before finishing and maybe if I do well

enough, people might start wanting me to do cartography for them~ ;D

So here is my world map of Tradore as it:

map_of_tradore_wip_by_obsidiantrance-d8d

Edited by BluMiu

Funny you should mention the feathers. I used to have a similar problem drawing in every single detail with mathematical precision (or at least, attempting to). Bugs has a point though, just doing up the rough textures can accentuate the feel a lot more easily, especially when they're tiny.

Also because I got bored of drawing screws, rivets and whatnots every single time. That Jenibeth/Siobhan pic for me was a real killer.

Cartography hmm? Looks pretty good, too; I like the textures for the land masses - if you've got time you might wanna consider polishing up the edges or using a bit of feathering to smooth them out, but honestly, it doesn't really matter when it's a world map. :)

Nice work. 10/10 would eat buy that map.

Funny you should mention the feathers. I used to have a similar problem drawing in every single detail with mathematical precision (or at least, attempting to). Bugs has a point though, just doing up the rough textures can accentuate the feel a lot more easily, especially when they're tiny.

Also because I got bored of drawing screws, rivets and whatnots every single time. That Jenibeth/Siobhan pic for me was a real killer.

Cartography hmm? Looks pretty good, too; I like the textures for the land masses - if you've got time you might wanna consider polishing up the edges or using a bit of feathering to smooth them out, but honestly, it doesn't really matter when it's a world map. :)

Nice work. 10/10 would eat buy that map.

Lol! I can already FEEL it is going to be a hard habit to break, since I'm so used to doing every bit of detail XD I'll try though and look up some

tutorials, though the above was plenty helpful to get another perspective.

For someone that did not enjoy it so much, you did very well~ I can see how you would be into designing weapons and mechanics. I'd love

to draw a mecha, and have in the past, but actually presenting it in a functional manner is beyond me and patience level I have not yet developed

(and I'm pretty patient).

I should have softened the edges early on, but I didn't. I'll go back and do that before its all done, if not too late. It was more fun that I expected

thanks to a cartography tutorial that was easily explained. It likely will become less fun once I have to zoom in to detail kingdoms themselves, but

it will be worth the experience.

Wow, a 10/10?! That may be my first time being ranked and it was good, lol! ^_^ Thanks so much, Spectre.

Update on the map. Creating the text and marking locations (which is a severe pain). Almost done  :)

map_of_tradore_wip_by_obsidiantrance-d8d

I really like how the soft shadows and highlights make her veil look almost 3D.... :D \o/ i also like how you've kept a lot of the details more to the centre, with a bit more shading/ blending to the outside/ where things are further away.

You've improved a lot! :D Great work and i would love to see more colours in the next good things you draw. : 3

I really like how the soft shadows and highlights make her veil look almost 3D.... :D \o/ i also like how you've kept a lot of the details more to the centre, with a bit more shading/ blending to the outside/ where things are further away.

You've improved a lot! :D Great work and i would love to see more colours in the next good things you draw. : 3

Thank you very much, Bugs! :) I think I see the shading/shadows/lighting better when in monochrome/sepia as compared to colours. Other than that, can't explain it until I finish my next (though might have to wait until after collab). I really love how it turned out, but I'm drawing a male character now to see if I just have become used to drawing females in such a way.

I actually wanted to do more with her cloak, but it did look better with the detail centered compared to putting wherever I felt. I'll see if I can do some colour versions eventually~

Shiva is an agent of Surlvhal that makes himself known to Rema and Dusk on their journey to return Lauro to Nuefraust. Though his information proves reliable, it is likely their success benefits him and whatever chieftan he works for.

shiva_by_obsidiantrance-d8jp3z9.png

Portrait of Mila Arcturus. Adopted by Miriam after Rema rescued her and Ira, Mila has always wanted to know who her real parents are or were. This becomes a near realization when a mysterious woman named Sorrow comes to her with said opportunity.

mila_by_obsidiantrance-d8jsr2m.png

Edited by BluMiu

Still not too huge of a fan of the way you do noses, but you do draw really beautiful eyes. I also really love the lace pattern on Mila, and the overall roundness of the face. Cute without looking overly naive. :3 Love it!

The "Mila Arcturus" work is just breathtaking! The emotion shown on the face and the depth of the eyes are so beautiful. 

Why thank you, Latoa. Glad this is the internet where I'm not embarrassed ^^ Even though she was devoid of the amount of emotion I was shooting for, but glad to know she does not appear blank.

If anything, I want the eyes to make the characters alive as possible since that is what I focus on when observing other artworks first.

Still not too huge of a fan of the way you do noses, but you do draw really beautiful eyes. I also really love the lace pattern on Mila, and the overall roundness of the face. Cute without looking overly naive. :3 Love it!

I'm not really a fan of the noses either, but I'm working my way towards something I might settle on. Don't hold me to that, though, haha! How real or how much I want to convey of the nose is a hard one to decide on for me. Happy to hear her overall look succeeded but nailing an age range in adolescents is still a tad new for me.

Edited by BluMiu

I have to say that I really love the details you put in your pictures!

Thank you, Cait. Detail is just one of those things I started doing early one and kept up ever since. When I'm better at architecture and scenery, I hope to incorporate backgrounds

that don't look awkward with the characters ^_^

Yet another!

The only thing Sorrow knows of her past is the scar on her face. Raised as a slave to a Huema family, she escaped and joined a band of fellow Penumbra refugees headed for Regalia. It was there she was discovered by Ovara Marie to have strong potential for magik and a kindred connection neither could explain.
Sorrow learns of Ovara's daughter and tries to reunite them, unaware of the consequences. The other reason for this is that Cachusa reveals possible clues to her past, and just how close their ties may be.

sorrow_by_obsidiantrance-d8jysjt.png

*Edited per sister's suggestion, haha

Edited by BluMiu

Oath of Blood WIP

oath_of_blood_wip_by_obsidiantrance-d8k3

So I finally gave a name to this side-story featuring these fallen angels and the Black Queen. The short
poem I wrote with this story in mind, Season of Endall, seemed fitting. I can't say too much about the actual
story because the setting introduced is bizarre and goes beyond the fantasy elements of the original context; everything about it is either symbolic
or has a meaning that ties into the main story. What I can 
say is that the Black Queen should look familiar~ Her story primarily takes place within the confines of a castle that is
just as much a character in how it is its own world, while the Knight's story takes place in the dead world of Endall itself.

Progress so far...

oath_of_blood_wip_by_obsidiantrance-d8k3

Edited by BluMiu

I seriously can bet 100000000000$ that in the future you gonna be very awesome realism artist > :)!

I hope "realism" as in seinin realism ^_^ I'm trying to avoid the dare I say usual (but amazing)

fantasy realism you see on DA and more creating something that is visibly different. That's really awesome of you

to say, though, so I'm going to ride the encouragement wave~ ^^

Under Night Light

under_night_light_by_obsidiantrance-d8l4

Reading Under Moonlight WIP

reading_under_moonlight_wip_by_obsidiant

and a very early sketch of this one, Cachusa~ Noir WIP(kinda NSFW, but just Barbie nude stage)

cachusa__noir_wip_by_obsidiantrance-d8l4

Edited by BluMiu

When I look at the majority of your work I think of Vampire Hunter D and Interview With a Vampire. In your DA that Samurai sketch is wonderful. Your looser work, is really good. Don't let lines restrain you too much. =)

Really like the custom textures and brushes you're using; it gives off a very nice, silky finish to the coloring.

Not overly fond of the face proportions, again, but I'll get back to you on this in PM if you're interested - mostly this is an issue of symmetry. Recently I've been experimenting a little with facial variations.

When I look at the majority of your work I think of Vampire Hunter D and Interview With a Vampire. In your DA that Samurai sketch is wonderful. Your looser work, is really good. Don't let lines restrain you too much. =)

I'd give you cheesecake for those compliments :) Thank you very much~ i'm sure you've read more than just IWAV out of the Vampire Chronicles. Also, why do people like the samurai one? Lol, I never thought much of it since I was playing around on SAI at the same time I did the Winged Knight.

Really like the custom textures and brushes you're using; it gives off a very nice, silky finish to the coloring.

Not overly fond of the face proportions, again, but I'll get back to you on this in PM if you're interested - mostly this is an issue of symmetry. Recently I've been experimenting a little with facial variations.

Thanks, Spectre! Always love your honesty and of course, you can send me a PM, but here's fine too. I think I'd have the symmetry perfect if I had a ruler/line tool in SAI

(which it does not). Mainly I need it for frontals, but sometimes other angles would need it. It's a hit or miss I hope to not worry about in the future, though I always find something

I want to correct later on, even if the artwork is complete.

Edited by BluMiu

I REALLY wish Sai had a ruler option too. It would be really handy... -_-

Something i always do is flip my picture repeatedly when i'm drawing or colouring it. Maybe you can try it too? It helps me a lot, i forget where i learned it from.

And i am very much the same way with my "finished" pictures. :( :( And then you stare at it for too long and start seeing weird things and draw over your picture and then make it worse...

EDIT: Also, your hands look just awesome in your latest pictures.