Formation Bonus v1.1b + Actor Sprites v1.0
By Vlue

Introduction
Allows actors to be rearranged in a 3x3 grid to form some sort of formation. Set formations can provide percentage bonuses to all actors when they are achieved; For example, you can set a bonus of 20% atk when three actors are in the front row, and so on.
Other options include physical/magical damage changes based on row position. (i.e less damage taken while in the back row)
Should work with any script that displays actor sprites in battle, as long as this script is placed below it.
Also included in this topic is a stand-alone script that displays actor sprites in battle, for those who don't have one.

Features
- Rearrange actors in a 3x3 grid.
- Provide bonuses when certain formation patterns are achieved
- Provide bonuses/unbonuses based on row position

- Display actor sprites in battle

Screenshots
MbrDJBo.png
Picture is a little misleading, the actor direction has been fixed to reflect how it should be. (Looking to the left)

How to Use
Plug and play. Set up formations if and as needed.

Script
Formation Bonus Script: http://pastebin.com/dQ20UFkY
Actor Sprites script: http://pastebin.com/KCm56d0b

Credit and Thanks
- By Vlue
- Free to use in any project, commercial or otherwise, with credit given

Author's Notes
I regret not including a banana in this topic. Edited by Vlue

Stop doing great scripts. I can't decide which system to use.

EDIT

There's a bug with the script: If you use the formation menu to replace one actor with another (eg, try to make the actors switch places directly by selecting an actor then an occupied slot) their sprites will get permanently scrambled.

Got this on a fresh new project. Maybe the best solution is to lock the occupied slots?

Once this is out of the way, I have a few suggestions on what to do with this script. It's too great, reminds me of Lunar.

Edited by Sughayyer

Er... sorry for the double post. I checked again and it scrambles the sprites every time, not only when you try to move a character to an occupied slot.

I'm pretty sure this is easy to fix. Once again, congrats on the great script.

Could've sworn I already fixed that problem, and I did. But not on the version I uploaded :/

Oops! Anyways, updated the pastebin with the correct version of the script.

Good catch lol.

This is half-way to some Web-Games' Battle System (like... Dragon Pals)

Attack order:

Team 1 - Team 2

-7 4 1 ----- 1 4 7-

-8 5 2 ----- 2 5 8-

-9 6 3 ----- 3 6 9-

• Auto Battle: Each team take turns to pick an alive character in order above to perform action. When all characters are picked, go back to first character.
  • Enemy Formation
  • Each character will only attack enemies in front of him/her (same row)
  • Only attack the front-most enemy of each row.
  • Will attack enemies in other rows with same rule above if there is no enemy in the same row as him/her
  • When a character attacks, he/she gains 25 Anger (TP?) In some games he/she can gain 25 Anger if attacked too
  • If a character begins turn with 100+ Anger, he/she will use a pre-set skill instead of normal attack; Anger is reset to 0 (some skills leave Anger at 25/50/75 even 100)
  • Skills can be single target / target a row / target a column / target enemy in the back / target all
  • Enemy has the same rules

EDIT: This isn't a request, just suggestion; I already made this for my game; using with Symphony.

Edited by Demintika

sir can you also change the unit target rate based on row position?

I like how this script makes the normal battle system slightly more tactical(like suikoden?)

then I found out if I put my tank(which has 100% TGR) in rear and put my mages(which has 50% TGR) in front resulting the monster focus their attack on tank on the rear which has reduced damage taken, which makes no sense

Here's what I'm getting when using only the battle formation bonus script:

CCF7vBL.png

Here's what I get using both scripts you provided:

psv1D9G.png

And finally here's what I get using only your sprite battlers:

P9xarUy.png

This was tested in a blank project.

Tested it again in a new project, still nothing like that. You can also tell those aren't my actor sprites (I didn't think to use a shadow under them, that's smart), they are coming from another script.

Hmm... isn't the script you made available for download the script made by Reedo?

Anyway, I can't believe I overlooked such a simple BASIC factor: the order of the scripts. Put your script below them all and it works with Yanfly's visual battlers, Jet's viewed battlers, and Galv's animated battlers. Gonna prepare myself for some boring copying and pasting to test with Symphony. But by the looks of it, most basic animated battlers script will like your script and work accordingly.

Not that I know of.

Also yes, order is important for this one! Mainly Formation Bonus has to go below any script that displays actor sprites in battle for it to work correctly!

Hi,Vlue.I wanna make your 'Formation Bonus v1.1b' work with 'galvs-animated-battlers', in which the actor position (the position of the actor's picture) in the battle is set by default and can be changed by script calls. Any idea to make them work together?

If you can link the script I can see what I can do.

OK, here's the script. 

introduction: http://galvs-scripts.com/2013/05/04/animated-battlers/

script: http://galvs-scripts.com/galvs-animated-battlers/

BTW, if possible, the whole battle system can be better if some functions are added. Say, is it possible to introduce a concept called 'range'? Say, some weapons or skills have a shor range so that you can only use them to attack the front enemy, while other weapons or skills have a long range, and can be used to attack the front and back enemy? In this way, enemies have their own formation, too. The back/front enemy can be marked by states, and their bonus are also possible. 

Edited by bloodyliao

Actually, if you put Vlue's script under the battle script, it will work more often than not. The exception that I'm aware of up to now is Symphony, in which you must put vlue's script before and then a little snippet I wrote under symphony core script.

Actually, if you put Vlue's script under the battle script, it will work more often than not. The exception that I'm aware of up to now is Symphony, in which you must put vlue's script before and then a little snippet I wrote under symphony core script.

Seems that it can hardly work with Galv's Animated Battlers as I put it under that script. The position of actors changes, but as I command an actor to attack, the whole game phauses...It stucks....

I don't see that error when using the script you linked with Formation Bonus (with form under galv). Selecting attack works fine, the hero attacks, enemies attack, turn ends, etc. It might be another script causing the problem for you or perhaps something in your settings from either of these scripts.

I don't see that error when using the script you linked with Formation Bonus (with form under galv). Selecting attack works fine, the hero attacks, enemies attack, turn ends, etc. It might be another script causing the problem for you or perhaps something in your settings from either of these scripts.

Normally, there seems no errors with attack or skills. But when a certain skill with tag <melee: x> (x is the dash speed, higher numbers is faster, items or skills  being used that have this tag will make the actor dash into close range before doing the action) is used, that error may appear.

This issue happens without the formation script as well. It occurs when the game is expecting the resolution of an animation whoch will never happen, ie, the <battler: > tag wasn'n set or the row number the script looks for to use with forward/back dash is incorrect/does not exist.

This issue happens without the formation script as well. It occurs when the game is expecting the resolution of an animation whoch will never happen, ie, the <battler: > tag wasn'n set or the row number the script looks for to use with forward/back dash is incorrect/does not exist.

Seems that you're right. But what am I doing wrong? I gave the actor tag <battler: knight> (without this another error will occur just when the battle start) and <melee: 5>, just like what the demo do, but it still stucks when using a normal attack.

Here's my demo, originally download from Galv's site, adding the formation script and the error occurs. Hope it can be fix>.<

https://mega.co.nz/#!SAQwRBxA!VqmCV0wEuaqdt_smDo2ll0tIoeeH2UoQ0hkK5YsewyU

Edited by bloodyliao

Very nice script.

However I have small problem. My characters sheets are of the $string variety. The size is 96x192 so each pose is in a 32x48 area. When on the formation screen, only a little clip of the graphic is shown over the formation grid. I'm having trouble finding where to change this to work properly. I did find how to adjust the height on line 326 but that's it.

Is there a way to make these char sheets work properly with this script?

There are two ways around it: if your characters are 32x48, put them in a 138x96 canvas (and take the $ from the filename). This will make them work just like regular chars in every way (rpgmaker automatically parses all the sprite files).

Otherwise you''l have to search the contents.width and contents.height lines and find a new division factor to make it work. I like the first solution better, tho...

There are two ways around it: if your characters are 32x48, put them in a 138x96 canvas (and take the $ from the filename). This will make them work just like regular chars in every way (rpgmaker automatically parses all the sprite files).

Otherwise you''l have to search the contents.width and contents.height lines and find a new division factor to make it work. I like the first solution better, tho...

Thanks sir for the idea but, I actually had to put them in a 384x384 canvas (and take away the $). I didn't even think about that. :D Thanks again!!