Footstep Sounds with Region ID

Tutorial on Footstep Sounds with Terrain Tag here.

This is a very easy tutorial on how to create footstep sounds with using region ID's. To make things easier, we are not going to use the common events tab and will keep this event on our map. If you want this as a common event, you will just make it as a parallel process and connect it to a switch.

Step 1 is to create our map. For this tutorial, I am going to  have a wooden floor and a carpet area (I wanted to do grass, but we don't have any in the interior tilesets).

W2K2VXZ.jpg

Next, we are going to add the region ID. In the top area where the blue character is (the event button), click on the button to the right of it. It should be a square with different colored boxes. When you click on it, you should see all these numbers pop up in the tileset tab.

I am going to use 1 for the wood floor and 2 for the carpet. Fill in the whole map with the region IDs that you want to use.

yFFlsOm.jpg

Now switch back to the event tab.

Create a new event and have the trigger be parallel process.

The first thing we need to do is set up the Player's X and Y. To do this, just create two variables called Player X and Player Y.

Now, set the variable Player X to Player's Map X in the Game Data area.

pCykaXZ.jpg

Do the same exact thing with Player Y, except have it go to Player's Map Y.

This is how the event should look so far:

NjmbgOp.jpg

Next we are going to set up the region ID.

Go to the third tab in the event commands and in the top right corner should be an area called Map. Go to the last button in that area that is called Get Location Info... and click on that.

Create a new variable called Player Region ID. For the info type, you will pick Region ID, and click Destination with variables. Choose the variable Player X and Player Y.
0S4JtQw.jpg

Now you are going to make a conditional branch. You will have the if the player region is equal to 1, else if the player region is equal to 2.

This is how the event should look so far:

eh9T1gg.jpg

Now make another conditional branch and have it where if the up button is being pressed, if the down button is being pressed, if the left button is being pressed, or if the right button is being pressed.

Pfkd3WW.jpg

You will do the same exact thing in the conditional branch where the player region ID is equal to 2.

Inside the new conditional branches we made where we pressed the buttons, we are going to add a wait command so it doesn't sound like a machine gun is going off when we walk. I like to use wait 15 frames myself, but you can play around with it and see what speed you want the footsteps to be.

Inside the region 1 conditional branch, we are going to add the sound effect. I chose the "knock" SE that come with RPG Maker. Place this under your wait commands.

In the region 2 conditional branch, I used the "blow6" SE since that was the closest I could find to a carpet sound.

Here is what the finished event should look like:

rAz8iV0.jpg

rzAApdu.jpg

And that is how you create an evented footstep sound. ^_^  You can add as many region ID's as you'd like and can turn it on or off on any map.

Edited by GameCreations

Footstep Sounds with Terain Tags

Tutorial on Footstep Sounds with Region ID here.

As TheoAllen pointed out, using Region ID's is pretty tedious. Here is another method of creating the footstep sounds.

Step 1 is creating your map. I am using the same map as before for this.

Go into your database and click on the tilesets tab. Click on the last button that says terrain tag and have the wood floor be 1 and the carpet be 2.

Qmid1Uj.jpg

Next, you are going to make your event and have it set to parallel process. Set your variables Player X to Player's Map X and Player Y to Player's Map Y like you do in the Region ID tutorial.

NjmbgOp.jpg

Now, go back to the get location info in the map area of the event command tab three. However, instead, we are going to pick the Terrain Tag ID this time around.

UZ7fNMe.jpg

Next, you will make a conditional branch where if the terrain tag ID is equal to 1, else if the terrain tag ID is equal to 2.

y3cIImg.jpg

The next steps are exactly like how they were in the region ID tutorial. Add your buttons pressed, the wait command, then the sound effects you want to play.

This is how the end result should look:

sngwURp.jpg

tri4HVG.jpg

The effects will be exactly the same as the region ID one, but it just places it in the terrain tag ID so you can use the region IDs for something else, and it makes things simplier. ^_^

Edited by GameCreations

Bump and sorry if necro-posting but I really need to know the answer to the question that @MJS4745 had. Really cool tut by the way helped a lot for my project :)

Bump and sorry if necro-posting but I really need to know the answer to the question that @MJS4745 had.

There's a really simple solution to this; test it for yourself =p

I don't have this system employed but judging by the way the event is set up I would say that it would indeed play the sound as the condition is that the button be pressed while on the tile and not that the character actually move. Again, though, just actually trying it for yourself will yield the answer.

@GameCreations; very cool tutorial dude. Never had a reason to play around with region IDs or terrain tags before so it'll be fun to give this a try.

Edited by Tarq

There's a really simple solution to this; test it for yourself =p

I don't have this system employed but judging by the way the event is set up I would say that it would indeed play the sound as the condition is that the button be pressed while on the tile and not that the character actually move. Again, though, just actually trying it for yourself will yield the answer.

I already tried various ways but I came to no conclusion...That's why I asked in the first place...I still try to figure it out though, so I'll wait for an answer if possible. If I figure it out myself I'll post it :D

@Pou-chan

1. The sound will play even if the character isn't moving;

2. The sound will play even if the character is touching an impassible object;

Both are true so long as a direction button is being pressed.

I worked around it - without scripts - by having the engine double check the player's x,y position after using the "Wait" command for three frames. In other words...

I added a "Wait" 3 frames command after the "Conditional Branch: such and such Button is Being Pressed."

Then I creating two new control variables called "Hero X move?" and "Hero Y move?" I set the control for variable "Hero X move?" to Player's Map X and "Hero Y move?" to Player's Map Y. Now I have 4 variables - Hero X, Hero Y, Hero X move?, and Hero Y move?

Beneath the two new control variables, I made a conditional branch that if "Hero X" wasn't equal to "Hero X move?", the sound would play. In the "else" of that same condition I made a new conditional branch that if "Hero Y" wasn't equal to "Hero Y move?" the sound would play. I had the "set handling when conditions do not apply" box checked for both conditions, leaving the second "else" blank. So if the Player's X or Y didn't change, nothing would happen.

Sorry, I'm not hosting a visual aid image on any URL; but I hope the explanation is clear enough. Good luck.

Edited by MercyN'Metal

Guest Thorgaaz

Thanks for the Tutorial. Was really helpful and i used this together with Mercys Fix. But one thing still bothered me since the first steps on the new Tile didnt had the new Sounds when testing. It does work without the Fix if you wait after the Sound, but since the fix require you to wait some frames before comparing the Positions, this option was limited. And without fix you would hear the Sound while bumping into a Wall. 

So my Solution was to use a Standstill-Switch. The first Time on the new Tile the Switch is off and in that Section it plays the Sound without waiting. After that it leaves the switch, wait and than it sets the new Variables and compares them to the old ones. (Is Player X != Player X old) like in Mercys Fix. The Difference, now it only toggles the Switch on and off based of the Characters Movement instead of directly playing the Sound.

The Result is an little better in my Opinion. At least in my Project. Still not absolute perfect, since sometimes the steps still goes slightly out of their Rhythm, but better. No missing Firsttile Sound anymore.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.