Vlue

Basic Quest System

Basic Quest System v1.1a
By Vlue

Introduction
Is your RPG too boring? Do people get lost easy? Do you want to make a mock MMO? You don't have to answer yes to any of those questions, but it helps if you want to use... Basic Quest System! Which gives you quests and junk. Yay.

Features
- Create quests with objectives and stuff.
- Quests can rewards gold, or exp, or items, or nothing, it's up to you!
- Nifty accepting and completing windows!
- A quest log!
- A quest overlay!

Screenshots
BLHKRxl.png  sa0BII4.png

How to Use
Make a lot of quests, set up quests in events, enjoy!

Script
On pastebin, as usual: http://pastebin.com/tyM7s1Pj

FAQ
Q: I have a question.
A: No you don't.

Credit and Thanks
- By Vlue
- Free to use in any project, commercial or otherwise (despite what my accountant says (hah, like I have an accountant)), with credit given

Author's Notes
... of these scripts now.
  • Like 20

A well designed Quest Script without dependencies that's easy for the user to set up? Vlue strikes again, ladies and gentlemen.

• Like 2

It would be nice to scroll if you have more than 3 objective and more than 1 reward

Edited by Amber

In the quest log or the accept screen? On the screen shot up there, it has 2 objectives and 5 rewards with space for at least one more.

I'll keep it in mind, but it might just be saved for the Advanced Version (scrolly windows are harder to add in then just one simple window)

One more thing: After finish all the objectives, turn in the quest for rewards I got an error instead of reward and something to do with EXP towards actor.

Yah, I caught that a bit ago, the script's already been updated on the pastebin.

How do i update the screen info, im using Falcao Pearl ABS and i when i kill slimes on Map it doesn't update?

The quest log updates automatically. Objectives are manual though, so after killing a slime you have to update the objective of the quest in question with a script call, which is explained in the header of the script. (adv_obj and set_obj)

OMG Vlue I finally got around to putting this script into a project.  It is super awesome.  The details, the objectives, all very flexible and powerful and helps so much.

Thanks for making this!

• Like 1

Hi, I have 2 questions?

1) When I put in for testing adv_obj(:questid001, :obj1, 1) into the slime, the quest objective number keeps going passed 3, am I doing it wrong?

2) I am trying to make a test person give me the quest than after ask if its complete, I did that, but now I want her to say thank you for your help but I can't figure it out to do that.

You would want to run a script conditional branch with the condition if the quest was completed.

Hi, I have 2 questions?

1) When I put in for testing adv_obj(:questid001, :obj1, 1) into the slime, the quest objective number keeps going passed 3, am I doing it wrong?

2) I am trying to make a test person give me the quest than after ask if its complete, I did that, but now I want her to say thank you for your help but I can't figure it out to do that.

Yes, objectives can go above the max, you're not doing it wrong. If you don't want it to go above, you'll have to check if it's already maxed. One way you can do that is using the script option in conditional branch and going like this: obj(:questid001, :obj1) < 3

And whatevers in the conditional branch (your adv_obj call in this case) will only happen if the obj value is below 3

As for 2. What Wren said. In this case you'd use: $game_quests[:questid001].turned_in? or $game_quests[:questid001].completed?

Thanks for making the script free for commercial and non commercial use! I really do appreciate it. Could you perhaps answer a question of mine please?

I'm trying to make it so that everytime I track a quest, quest objective markers appear on the map. (to help the user find where they're going.) For the map I'm using Galv's Map Postitioners script and it does come with a sort of "markers" option labeled blips, but you can only have one marker on a map square at a time and I don't know how to trigger/untrigger these markers by tracking/untracking quests, nor make the blips/map markers update when you complete different objectives of the quest.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

First, I have to thank you for helping the community with this fantastic script.

Now, I have a question .

When I 'm doing simple tasks I have no problem creating them and work very well , but when I want to make a more complex quest , here comes my question. In my case, I need to do a quest of several stages and do not want that objectives are all displayed at once, because that whole plot I want to raise is disclosed . What I would like to know if I can do is be proposing targets one to one without being displayed in monitoring quest or window to accept the quest all at once, which belong to the same quest and ultimately all get loot that was promised in the same main quest window..

sorry for my English, I used a translator

I'm having a problem with this Quest System, which I really need for the quest list on screen.  Here's my quest designation if that helps:

module QUEST

DETAILS= {}

DESCRIPTIONS = {}

OBJECTIVES = {}

REWARDS = {}

#Ruin Quest

DETAILS[:ride] = {

:name => "Hey Look! A ruin",

:level => 1,}

DESCRIPTIONS[:ride] = {

:qgiver_name => "Nobody",

:location => "The ruins ",

:description => "Explore this ruin..er..

is there something about that cartoon?",}

OBJECTIVES[:ride] = {

:explore => ["Is there something about that cartoon?", 1],}

REWARDS[:ride] = {

:gold => 0,

:exp => 0,

:items => [],}

end

post-40639-0-27785500-1420597538_thumb.png

I'm having an issue with ending the script.

It's telling me that I am getting an error based on the quest line 306 known as an NameError, uninitialized constant object:Details.

I don't understand what that means and I'm pretty new to coding out quests. What am I doing wrong? (Please don't lead me to the youtube guide of the other questlog... I tried that one and it gave me a stack error issue.) 

Also another question, does my quest need to be inside your script template or can I insert a template of my own filled with my quests?

I'm having a problem with this Quest System, which I really need for the quest list on screen.  Here's my quest designation if that helps:

module QUEST

DETAILS= {}

DESCRIPTIONS = {}

OBJECTIVES = {}

REWARDS = {}

#Ruin Quest

DETAILS[:ride] = {

:name => "Hey Look! A ruin",

:level => 1,}

DESCRIPTIONS[:ride] = {

:qgiver_name => "Nobody",

:location => "The ruins ",

:description => "Explore this ruin..er..

is there something about that cartoon?",}

OBJECTIVES[:ride] = {

:explore => ["Is there something about that cartoon?", 1],}

REWARDS[:ride] = {

:gold => 0,

:exp => 0,

:items => [],}

end

you shouldnt have an ending after the 1, you need the two lines that come after it

Hey Vlue.

Just installed this script after having to abandon an older one I was using.

For the most part, it works great.

I made some changes to the script to restrict some objectives from showing up right away as well as changing color when the obj count reaches max.

This works ok until I save and quit the game.

Upon returning, the obj variables all reset to 0 and no longer update in the quest menu.  (They do on the log, but don't change color properly anymore)

If this is somehow caused by my edits, I'll try to fix it myself, but I have feeling my edits didn't cause this.

If you're willing to take a look at what I did, I will post my version of the script here with your ok, otherwise I could PM it to you.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edit: I confirmed that obj.current in both Window_QuestLog and Window_SceneDetail resets to 0 and stops updating after loading a save.

Edited by Maliki