Gambit Database Organizer

Current Version: 1.50

Introduction:
I hope I'm not the only one who gets frustrated by how difficult it is to reorder and organize the databases after you've started working on your project. If you're like me and like to group similar objects together, the editor makes it very difficult to add new objects. If you try to move around objects, all of the old references to objects will be broken and will instead refer to the object that currently has the ID that it is referring to. So you either have to settle for having an arguably disorganized database or plan all your databases all in advance. This script fixes this dilemma.

An example of the problem this script solves:
You have an event that gives the player one Potion. You later decide to cut and paste the Potion with the Antidote to swap them in the database. Now, anything that referred to the Potion will refer to the Antidote (and vice versa) since they were tied to the item ID, not the item. The event I mentioned will now give the player one Antidote instead of one Potion. This script allows you to swap the Potion with the Antidote while preserving all of the references you've made to both items in your project.

This script allows you to move around items while preserving all of their references in your project.

When using this script, be patient, especially if you have large databases, as some tasks can take longer to complete than others. Since this script modifies databases, you should either make a backup of your Data folder or use a copy of your project to test with. And, of course, use this at your own risk. I take no responsibility for any damage that may result from the use of this script.

Please let me know how it works for you if you decide to give this a try. In case I've missed anything, I've made a list of every reference the script should redirect and update. If you spot anything I've missed, let me know! Otherwise, it should preserve references for everything on this list in the current version:

---Actors---
Troops: Battle Test, Battle Event Conditions
System: Initial Party

Map Events: Conditions

Map Events, Troop Battle Events, Common Events:
Show Text
Show Scrolling Text
Control Variables
Conditional Branch
Change Party Member
Change HP
Change MP
Change State
Recover All
Change EXP
Change Level
Change Parameters
Change Skills
Change Equipment
Change Name
Change Class
Change Nickname
Name Input Processing
Change Actor Graphic
Force Action

---Animations---
Skills: Animation
Items: Animation
Weapons: Animation

Show Animation
Show Battle Animation

---Armors---
Actors: Starting Equipment
Enemies: Drop Items
Troops: Battle Test

Conditional Branch
Change Armor
Change Equipment
Shop Processing

---Classes---
Actors: Class

Conditional Branch
Change Class

---Common Events---
Skill, Item Effects: Common Event

Call Common Event

---Enemies---
Troops: Members

Enemy Transform

---Items---

Control Variables
Conditional Branch
Change Items
Shop Processing

---Self Switches---
Control Self Switch
Conditional Branch

---Skills---
Enemies: Actions

Actor, Class, Weapon, Armor, Enemy, State Features: Add Skill, Seal Skill
Skill, Item Effects: Learn Skill

Conditional Branch
Change Skills
Force Action

---States---
Classes: Learnings
Enemies: Action Conditions

Actor, Class, Weapon, Armor, Enemy, State Features: State Rate, State Resist, Atk State
Skill, Item Effects: Add State, Remove State

Conditional Branch
Change State
Change Enemy State

---Switches---
Enemies: Action Conditions
Troops: Battle Event Conditions
Common Events: Condition Switch

Map Events: Conditions, Move Route (Switch On, Switch Off)

Control Switches
Conditional Branch
Set Move Route (Switch On, Switch Off)

---Tilesets---
Maps: Tileset

Change Tileset

---Troops---
Maps: Encounters

Battle Processing

---Variables---
Skills: Formulas
Items: Formulas

Show Text
Input Number
Select Key Item
Show Scrolling Text
Control Variables
Conditional Branch
Change Gold
Change Items
Change Weapons
Change Armor
Change HP
Change MP
Change State
Recover All
Change EXP
Change Level
Change Parameters
Change Skills
Transfer Player
Set Vehicle Location
Set Event Location
Show Picture
Move Picture
Battle Processing
Get Location Info
Change Enemy HP
Change Enemy MP

---Weapons---
Actors: Starting Equipment
Troops: Battle Test

Conditional Branch
Change Weapons
Change Equipment
Shop Processing

Description:
This script allows a user to modify the order of objects in most databases while preserving all game references to the original objects. In the project editor, if you attempt to swap two Items by cutting and pasting, all references to the items would be reversed. The references are tied to the ID instead of the object itself. This script allows you to manipulate the databases while preserving all references to the original objects.

A message will appear when the tasks you have specified are completed successfully. CLOSE AND REOPEN THE PROJECT for the changes to finalize and appear in the editor. If you save the project after running the script but before closing and reopening it, the Organizer tasks will be REVERTED.

The script will print out a note to the console as each task is completed. If you encounter an error and would like to revert all the tasks that were performed prior to the error, just save your project. Again, saving the project after running the script will revert the changes. To finalize the changes, you must close the project after running the script then reopen it.

Features:
  • Swap, move, insert, and delete database objects without ruining all of the references in your game
  • Update and redirect object references
  • User-friendly Database Organizer scene to facilitate organization
  • Optional task queue is available which will automatically perform the specified tasks in the order they are provided
  • Most objects are supported:
    • Actors
    • Animations
    • Armors
    • Classes
    • Common Events
    • Enemies
    • Items
    • Self Switches
    • Skills
    • States
    • Switches
    • Tilesets
    • Troops
    • Variables
    • Weapons

Required Scripts:

None

Screenshots:

Dl2bvHo.png

6ZgZO0U.png

Credits:

• Gambit

Changelog:

v 1.50 - June 6, 2014
  • Added support for variables
  • Added support for self switches
v 1.15 - June 5, 2014
  • Significant performance improvements
  • Added support for switches
v 1.10 - June 4, 2014
  • Added Database Organizer scene
v 1.00 - June 4, 2014
  • Initial release

Script:

Script: Gambit Database Organizer Script v1.50.txt

Old versions:

Edited by Gambit.

Cool! Gambit, it's Cool!

It's like my Database Manager with no WYSIWYG because mine uses Scene to organize database.

But yours also fix the references which mine are not. It's great if we could combine both. Would you mind?

Also ... *added to master script list*

Wow after looking at your Database Manager, I think that's a great idea. Yours is much nicer to use since it allows the user to see the changes immediately so instead of queuing tasks based on their predicted IDs (what mine does) they can just do one then the next. That would be amazing.

Let me know how you want to do it. We can either write up a compatibility patch to let them work together or actually combine the scripts into one. Either way is fine with me!

Man, how I waited for something like this. Didn't think it was possible (and I guess I wasn't familiar/didn't know TheoAllen's organizer)

I hope you don't mind, Theo, but your idea was so good that I couldn't wait to implement it! :P Your site and script references are in Indonesian though so I went ahead and created my own scene from scratch. Of course, you can still add support for mine into your script if you'd like. If you do, check out the task method in the Scene_DatabaseOrganizer class from my updated script to see how I prepare a task.

Script updated! It should be much easier to use now with the scene interface. Check out the new screenshots in the OP. I also left in the option to specify a list of tasks in case anyone prefers the old way of queuing tasks so that they're automatically performed.

v 1.10 - June 4, 2014
  • Added Database Organizer scene
Edited by Gambit.

No worry, most of my scripts was intended to help me to do this kind of things actually. i.e, for my personal use. If anyone have done better, I would like to use other's :P since there is no database manager/organizer back then, so I created myself.

I have a question. Though, I don't tried it myself.

Would this produce a lag/frameskip because you will have to refresh all the list every the database has changed? 

Well, I created a method that loops the redraw method for only the items that need to be redrawn after each task. So the window only redraws those specific items instead of refreshing all items. So it will lag more if you delete Skill 1 (because the script will have to redraw skills 1-126) than if you delete Skill 126 (since it will only redraw Skill 126).

I think most of the lag is because of the reference-changing though. If you delete Skill 1, for example, it will search the entire project for every reference to Skill 2 and change them to Skill 1, change Skill 3 to Skill 2, etc. It will do this over and over again for all 126 skills. So that slows the game down too.

Edited by Gambit.

I do have english version here.

If you look closely on the video, there is a loading window. Basically, while database list is being drawn (because drawing function is the one which causes lag more) you still allowed to move the cursor and change the database. Scan for entire project is not time consuming as drawing pixel I guess. Well, dunno.

How did you two even do this?  Seems impossible to edit the database in this way.  I hate making changes to my database because it's like I have to plan ahead and leave large chunks of empty space in case I have to make more of something.

@Theo: Well... I ran some tests got the following results: 6.268s to find / change all the references and 0.137s to draw the items in v1.10. But this was simply poor coding on my part! I thought about ways to improve the efficiency and realized that I basically had the insert and delete tasks looping swap tasks until they fixed all the necessary references. So if you deleted Skill 1 in a blank project, for example, the script was searching through the entire project over and over again for a total of 125 times. I've completely rewritten the way references are changed and database modifications are made so the entire project is only searched one time for each task (even for insert and delete). I just ran the same test that took 6.268s and it took 0.079s to complete with the new code! So that's a huge improvement. Now, drawing the items is the more time-consuming part, like you guessed.  :D

So good news: v1.15 will be out later today and it will be more than 90% faster!

@Wren: It's more time-consuming than anything else really. In order to change all the references to all the objects, you've got to manually find them all (there isn't any easy way to do this). So this was the main issue. It meant tediously searching through the editor (databases, event commands, map properties, etc) and making notes of anything I could find that referenced something in the database. Once they were all found (at least what I believe to be everything after repeated searches), it just required figuring out how the IDs were coded in the data files (so for an event command, for example, this usually meant printing out the command and identifying the relevant parameters) so that they could be changed by a script. Now we can finally work on our games without worrying about adding / changing anything at a later time.

Definitely going to try this if you could improve better performace!

I planned to organize my game database. And that was too late. 

So, I ended up to add actor skills in the end of skills list. Which doesn't look neat

Okay, the update has been posted. The performance is much, much better now for the insert and delete tasks (no more looping through the entire project repeatedly, now only one search is performed per task). And I added support for organizing switches! Variable support may be coming in the future... There's just so many references to them.

v 1.15 - June 5, 2014
  • Significant performance improvements
  • Added support for switches

this script will help a lot. will wait for the variable support feature. it would be perfect.

Updated! It now supports variables and self switches!  :D

This script helped me a lot. Thanks so much! :)

You're very welcome! I'm glad you found it useful.

New update!
v 1.50 - June 6, 2014
  • Added support for variables
  • Added support for self switches

Note 1: If a switch / variable is the beginning of a batch, then that reference will be changed. If the reference is at the end of a batch, it will not be changed. This seemed like the best way to handle batches.

Note 2: Self switches can only be swapped and updated (no moving, inserting, or deleting). They are organized on a per-map basis.

Edited by Gambit.

marvelous. :D. good job gambit. :D.

now no need to let blank spaces on the project anymore and found out later that the blank spaces still NOT ENOUGH :D.

Wow I wish I came across this like two weeks ago lol. Spent almost a full day moving around dozens of equipment pieces and items, still not 100% sure if I got all the refernces fixed up throughout the project.

My feeling after trying to understand your script is this: If rewriting the whole battle system is like rebuilding the entire display card, then rewriting the whole database system is like rebuilding the entire motherboard(even though your script doesn't rewrite how rvdata2 works as it's not its scope). I wonder how many weeks or months you've spent on this script :)

I think this script isn't only valuable to its users but also other scripters who wishes to improve their scripting proficiency. Right now many scripters can rebuild the entire display card(while I still can't XD), but it seems to me that only really proficient ones can rebuild the entire motherboard. Maybe your script can be indeed used as a formal learning material of RGSS3, or at least the database part of it :D

Edited by DoubleX

Thanks for all your kind words.  :D The hardest part with this script was figuring out exactly what to change for each type of object. I had to manually go through every part of the editor and search through it carefully while taking notes whenever I saw a reference to one of the objects the script can change. And, of course, going through all of the event commands to find the indices of each of their parameters was a pain.

I'm glad you can use it as a reference though. I hope you learn from it! Let me know if you have any questions and I can try to explain.  :)

Thanks for all your kind words.  :D The hardest part with this script was figuring out exactly what to change for each type of object. I had to manually go through every part of the editor and search through it carefully while taking notes whenever I saw a reference to one of the objects the script can change. And, of course, going through all of the event commands to find the indices of each of their parameters was a pain.

I'm glad you can use it as a reference though. I hope you learn from it! Let me know if you have any questions and I can try to explain.  :)

Unfortunately, right now I can just barely get the overall structure of your script. It's merely because my RGSS3 understanding just didn't reach your level yet.

For me, studying every last detail of your script is like studying every last circuit of a motherboard. So I'll keep your script in mind and maybe when my RGSS3 proficiency improves, I'll use your script as a learning material myself.

Like what you said, it's what those details that require the most effort to put into. As there are so many things in the database system and most of them are so closely interrelated, it must be a pain to test and debug your script :)

Edited by DoubleX