Faye V.

multi-engine Easy Yet Awesome Lantern System

Introduction:

So i was doing this dungeon part in my game and realized that putting plain obscurity would be bad. Then i decided to search for a quick lantern tutorial as i didn't wanted to use scripts and didn't wanted to make my own system because i'm lazy as hell. My surprise was that the systems were truly BAD, impractical, brute and limitated (your map had to be at least 12 from the edges in order to work). Obviously i was like "seriously..." and ended up makin mine. In like 2 minutes. Ten thousand times more simple and effective.

Process:

Alright, pay attention. 

1) First of all, you gonna need to make an image in Photoshop with your screen size (i'm using 640x480 right now but default is 544x416), grab the gradient tool, choose the radial gradient and check 'reverse' This will make the borders black but the center transparent, and this is what we want to do. Done? Alright, now go to canvas size and you have to double the normal screen size. That means, multiply it by 2. Because i'm a good person, i'll let you here the valors :P 1088x832 (544x416 normal size) and 1280x960 (640x480 normal size). Fill the transparent space with black and save that image (If you're bad at Photoshop or GIMP or whatever, i'll let you the images at the end of the post, don't worry~)

2) Go to the map you want to be the system, it doesn't cares if it is 600x600 or 24x15, this system will work everywhere. Now you gotta make three events (i make three for order purposes and because that is my way, you can do it in your own way) in one we will set the trigger to parallel process, in the command box we're going to use "Show Picture" in order to... show... the picture (i'm smart :D) that we made, but be careful, in the X and Y boxes you gotta put the X and Y valor of the screen and you gotta check the "Center" checkbox instead of "Upper left". Remember, default is 544x416 and XP is 640x480 (did i mention that this works in every single RPG Maker? :P) so we're going to put those valors in the boxes. To finish, put the "Erase event" at the end. By the way, you can put those valors for a 'transition' or you simply can create two variables (explained in the third step) and put them in the X and Y valors, just check the "Variable" checkbox instead of "Constant". Both ways will work perfectly.

Explaining image:

Tutorial01.png

Make another event, this one will be in parallel process but do not put the Erase Event. Choose the "Move Picture" command, you gotta put the picture ID. This is where everything gets beautiful (i love variables <3). In the X and Y we're going to choose variables instead of constants (X and Y) so you gotta create two variables, i'll call them "Player Screen X" and "Player Screen Y". Put them in their respective positions. Do not forget that check "Center" instead of "Upper Left" and finally (this is all your please) put the frames delay ~~ the less the quicker the more the smoother, i chose 40 because that's enough smooth.

Explaining image:

Tutorial02.png

In the third and final event all you gotta do is to create two variables (the variables we will use for the X and Y positions of the picture) and give them these valors:

Explaining image:

Tutorial03.pngTutorial04.png

Conclusion:

That's all. You got an awesome, quick, flexible, practical and... and practical system.

Bonus:

Here, grab some images:

XP Version:       Obscurity.png

VX/Ace Version: Obscurity_VX.png

2k/2k3 Version:  Obscurity2_K3.png

I see an evented version of Galv's Visibility Range :P

... That script existed? Aw crap and i made this >=( if i only knew i'd use that instead of making this but oh well, it's still awesome

... That script existed? Aw crap and i made this >=( if i only knew i'd use that instead of making this but oh well, it's still awesome

Hey, as someone who prefers eventing over scripting I will find this very helpful!

Hey, as someone who prefers eventing over scripting I will find this very helpful!

So, you never realized even you have played my game for this entire time? lol

So, you never realized even you have played my game for this entire time? lol

Uh, i haven't opened your game dude xD that would be cheating.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.