Sign in to follow this  
dragriff

Question about some of the possible limitations

Hello, so I am kinda new to all this, so bear with me and my, possibly, silly questions.

So me and a few other people had this idea to make our own game, and decided that RPG Maker might be best choice to start and see how we would fare.

Now, the problem with me (I will probably be the main pixel artist) is that I want the maps and environments to look as unique and beautiful as possible. Or at least as much as my pixelating skills will let me.

But before all that, I need a few things clarified and I apologize in advance if my questions are already answered somewhere. Just point me in the right direction.

So, on to my questions:

Map limitations

As I said, I want my maps to look as good as possible, and to achieve that goal, my plan was to create the map in Photoshop and then break it down into tiles, so I could put it back together in RPG Maker. This means I would create every single detail by hand, so edges of maps and clear corners and such would not be as easily visible, as well as little to no repeating tiles (A lot of work, I am aware of that)

Would that be at all possible? And how big can an individual area be? (tiles x tiles) And how many tiles are allowed for a single area? Basically, what would be the limitations with such an idea?

Individual objects that could be walked under

As mentioned above, with such a crazy idea for a map, I also have some crazy sperate details for said map. For example, in one of the areas, I was thinking of creating a big tree, but I would like it to be possible for the character to go "behind" the tree, meaning he/she would disappear behind it, and be able to walk through the other side. Is that possible? Or would the tree have to either be small or be a solid object that cannot be traversed?

Tilesets

Naturally, for such a project, I would need a lot of tilesets, seeing as I want to be able to have as little repeating textures as possible. That's where the question about tileset limitations comes in place. I would assume one can only have a certain amount of those, and if that's the case, how many can one have and how many tiles can there be in a single tileset?

Alright, that should be it for now, I think. Thank you for your attention, and I thank anyone who could be able to answer.

What you are looking to do is a technique called Parallax Mapping. Here is a basic tutorial on getting started in it:

edited: added a different tutorial, as this is the way I personally parallax map.

Ohh, that's cool. I checked the link you posted first, and, correct me if I'm wrong, you can not only make an object that can be walked under, but create whole maps without using tilesets?

I can't check the video at the moment, for I am not home, but I will definitely do later on.

Question, though, how big can said parallax maps be? Let's say I wish to create a town using this method, are there any limitations I should keep in mind?

Yes you can create whole maps without tilesets, ie Pirate Rush and Toby's Island, both by Galv, use parallax mapping with no tilesets used:

That's a video of galv mapping for Pirate Rush. 

As for your question, things to keep in mind: loading time. Probably don't want to create gigantic maps this way because slower computers might load slowly and as struggle with lag, but medium to small maps work just fine. If you are dead set on a gigantic city, break it up into sections that you map transfer to.