Sign in to follow this  
Japhasca

Precise meaning of "end of action"?

What I want to do is create a state ("Knocked down") with the Restriction "Cannot Move" that negates the actor's next turn, regardless of when it is.

Meaning, depending on when it occurs, it might be before or after the affected actor. This is how I would want it to work:

(Actor goes first)
ACTOR: Actor acts.

ENEMY: Actor is affected by "knocked down."

END OF TURN
ACTOR: Actor is knocked down!
ENEMY: (Irrelevant)
END OF TURN

Actor can act this turn.

(Actor goes second)
ENEMY: Actor is affected by "knocked down."
ACTOR: Actor is knocked down!
END OF TURN
ENEMY: (Irrelevant)
Actor can act this turn.

So, my question is, is this how remove at end of action works? Literally, the next action is affected by the state regardless of if it is the same turn or next, then is fine on the turn after that? This may seem like a dumb question but I've run into some poorly defined things before in this program series so I just want to make sure.

EDIT: I have looked up some stuff and I may be completely misunderstanding this! I'm not sure. If someone can actually describe the difference between "action end" and "turn end", that would be great! Also, what precisely counts as an action, ie does the actor's turn coming up in combat count as an action, or is it only an action if an action is literally taken?

Edited by Japhasca

Action End takes place once the battler has taken their turn, Turn End takes place at the end of the overall turn, when all battlers have taken their turns.

Say for example the actor is Poisoned and moves first, the enemy has an attack that deals more damage if the target is Poisoned and moves second. If the actor recovers from Poison this turn, but the state itself is only removed at the end of the turn, the enemy's attack will get the damage bonus. However, if the state is removed after the actor has taken their action, the enemy's attack would not get the damage bonus because the state has already been removed.

From what I know of, skipped actions due to restrictions from states still count as a battler taking an action.

Cool thanks, that's how I hoped it would work. I'll run a couple tests to confirm but you've definitely saved me some time.