Nicke

XS - Popup Item

xs.png

XS - Popup Item

Version 1.1c

Introduction
Heavily inspired by OriginalWij's Popup Window I decided to do my own with a few neat options so here goes! Note that I wouldn't have done this without OriginalWij's script so a little special thanks to him.

Features

• Easy to change the position and other settings of the popup window.
  • The ability to change the font settings for each displayed text.
  • The option to display/hide every thing that is drawn to the window. (Icon, name etc)
  • A small icon next to the name as well as a big one. (Optional to use).
  • Each item is animated in. (Fading)
  • Hide the popup for certain items.
  • And more!

Screenshots

xs-popup-item.png

xs-popup-item2.png

How to Use
Instructions how to use it can be find inside the script.
To install this script, open up your script editor and copy/paste this script to an open slot below Materials but above Main. Remember to save.

Script
Get the script here and the Core Script.

Updates
Released 1.1c. Price bug fixed when gold was added. Should now work properly.

Credit
Do credit me, Nicke, if you are planing on using this script. Thanks.
Can be use in a commercial project.
Special thanks to OriginalWij.

Edited by Nicke

Nice work. Quick question, do you need to call the script in an event for it to pop up? Tested it out by recieving an item in game and nothing happened.

Nice work. Quick question, do you need to call the script in an event for it to pop up? Tested it out by recieving an item in game and nothing happened.

Same problem. NOTHING happens.. :/

The screenshots look so nice too.

There is a switch defined in the script that has to be turned on which you can set. By default its 9 or 7 I think. I had a seperate issue though. Everytime I open a chest it reports the wrong item being recieved. Pick up a stimulant it reports it a potion.

Ah thanks for the feedback everyone. I've released version 1.0a now which corrects the bug @kalian speaks of as well as adding a few more settings to play around with. Thanks!

@Paradox: Sadly I didn't do any settings to change the positions of those things. Might come in a newer version, I am afraid you have to know a bit of scripting to be able to change the things you want.

@Paradox: Sadly I didn't do any settings to change the positions of those things. Might come in a newer version, I am afraid you have to know a bit of scripting to be able to change the things you want.

well I don't need the "position" of anything changed, just the ADDITION of the <NameOfCurrency> on the popup, the game has a method of calling the name of the currency and printing it right? is it not possible to just add that to the popup window output after the currency amount? (i'm just sort making a semi-educated guess here)

Edit: Niclas helped me out on IRC :) thanks!

Edited by Paradox

I've run into a small problem, if I have the description of an item that is long it looks bad on the popup:

mdcyb.png

Could I suggest having the box change in height dynamically to accommodate the extra description text and put it on another line?

You may turn off the description

# POP = [width, height, opacity, switch_id, animation_speed, show_name,

# show_icon, show_desc, show_line]

POP = [240, 66, 255, 9, 6, true, true, true, true]

seek this lines, at the beggining, and change to false the show_desc

# POP = [width, height, opacity, switch_id, animation_speed, show_name,

# show_icon, show_desc, show_line]

POP = [240, 66, 255, 9, 6, true, true, false, true]

if you change the height it will look like the standard box message... I suggest you to turn off the description...

Okay something very weird has happened.

I opened a chest with an item that has always worked and now it did not display any message of acquiring the item. I thought maybe it conflicted with a new script I added, so I deleted them all except this one, still not working ...

Also re downloaded this script.

Edited by Ice Nick

Okay something very weird has happened.

I opened a chest with an item that has always worked and now it did not display any message of acquiring the item. I thought maybe it conflicted with a new script I added, so I deleted them all except this one, still not working ...

Also re downloaded this script.

Well, simply, is your switch on? (Or maybe something like the window is getting drawn off screen)

Edited by Jon Wei

Hi Niclas, just popping in to say thanks a lot for generously sharing your brilliant script(s)! This script alone can add so much to a game. Keep up the great work! :D

Just a simple question; I'm playing about with:

# // Draw description.

pop_font(:custom, XAIL::POPUP_ITEM::FONT[0], 14, Color.new(255,255,255), true, true)

@pop_window.contents.draw_text(0, 24, @pop_window.width, 24, item.description) unless item.nil

To try to make the description text easier to read, but I can't find a good setting to use. I've tried disabling bold / shadow and adjusting size but for some reason the description text looks a bit messy :o Does anyone know how to get a nicer description text?

Thanks again Niclas :wub:

@Rift Merce: Thanks for the feedback. As for your question, um... Have you been trying different fonts or what do you mean "messy"? Can you provide a screenshot. I am guessing it looks messing because you are trying to fit a long description text. Try to adjust the font size or change font completely. Anyways, I am gonna release a newer version pretty soon so you can mess around with how many lines you want as the description and make a "new line" within the string etc.

Hi Niclas, thanks for the reply!

The description text looked like Paradox's item text in the screenshot above (no offence Paradox), in that it was slightly squished together and a bit hard on the eyes. As you suggested, it was due to a combination of the string length and the settings in a small font settings script (which I'd forgotten I added). After a bit of tweaking, the description text was much neater B). I'd love to see an extended version of this script if you get around to it!

I've also downloaded and integrated your Gold HUD script into my current project. It's a brilliant little addition to the game. Cheers Nic! :D

awesome....I'm loving your scripts btw. The icon-based menus are amazing!

I suppose I should expound on my problem. I'm using the item drop rank script. http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,44931.0.html

This allows the creation of a random drop item in a chest, or battle, etc. The popup item script does work with it. the only problem is that the first random drop shows up as "random drop" in the popup. If I use the same random drop again, the correct item is reported.

I created a small example file.

The chests on the left contain drop rank 1, the chests on the right contain drop rank 2.

example.zip

Edited by djflan