So  I've been messing around with Sprite Sheets in recent days to try and make taller sprites - the standard ones feel really squashed.

I finally manages to put together two outfits for my main character.

nadia_needs_bootsw_by_zvart-d7nl59n.pngnadia_dress_by_zvart-d7nl59l.png

I'm aware the first sprite doesn't have shoes. I've been using Game Character Hub, and geez, is it hard to get "brown" as a color to use. I was struggling with just getting the skin tones right.  :wacko: I intend to add boots in Photoshop when I go and make the 8-character sheet later on.

I was hoping for some solid feedback before I go making the rest of the sprites - It'd be easier to fix mistakes on two sprite sheets than the several full ones I need for my game.

Please and thank you!

EDIT: New sprites, based off the Loose Leaf Generator sprites. I... am not very good at free handing it, it seems. They are the same as above. 

_nadia_by_zvart-d8az87r.png_nadiafancy_by_zvart-d8az87l.png

Edited by Zvart

On the first sprite, the left and right moving directions have a shadow that shifts from one side to the other.  Try to keep the shadows on the right-hand-side.  Ace typically has the shadows on the right for everything.

Although I love the traditional short/fat sprite style used in some classic RPGs from my childhood, I've always preferred drawing taller, thinner sprites. More Suiko-esque style.

Looking good :)

I'm not really emotionally stable right now so I did a really bad edit:

XiAFb6x.png

It's not 100% perfect but I just can't focus enough. But some notes.

• Learn about hue and value shifting. Don't settle for monochrome colors as they are boring and makes it hard to make details pop out. Lighting doesn't work that way especially if you research about Refracted light, etc.
  • Learn a little bit about anatomy. I suggest looking over SNES sprites to learn how they are simplified.
  • Pixel Art relies heavily on colors so you need to make sure they have enough contrast to print out details.
  • Light source is usually top left. Try focusing on that as it's easier and gives you more space for depth. You're also almost on the borderline of pillowshading so try to research that and avoid it ASAP.

I agree with Arch in that the color of the hair and how that it's really just focused on one view point makes it incredibly bland and monotonous. The eyes are a bit dodgy as well. They're a bit smaller than they usually are and with that, it just looks like the eyes are sucking the soul out of you. D: And that's not cool...

Wow, I'm so sorry it's taken so long for me to come back to this.

That edit is seriously better than anything I've been doing, and I can see what you mean about the colors.

I edited my original post, but I've been working with the base sprites from the LooseLeaf Generator. I'm starting to think I'll need to go in and change the color schemes.

_nadia_by_zvart-d8az87r.png_nadiafancy_by_zvart-d8az87l.png

A significant improvement from your original.

As a small bit of advice I would suggest you look a bit more into shading to really give that feeling of depth Archeia had going.

One thing I'd note, which I must imagine must be a beginner problem because I once did the same thing, is that your colors are hyper-saturated. That hair is not blond, it is yellow. Those ares are not blue, they are BLUE. The dress (probably the smallest offender) doesn't look white, it looks white-washed.

Also consider lessening some of your black outlines and replacing them with more colored dark lines. I see you've already started with that, and it's a good first step.

Edited by Chaosian