ihartrpgs

game idea Construction and Building Game for RPG Maker *EDIT* Game Idea being placed into motion. Feedback and Suggestions are Welcomed!

More indepth post here.

I have made a survival type game before, but it was only with one player. However, after looking at the Banished game, I've been wondering how possible it would be to do on a 2D rpg maker engine.

One of the biggest drawbacks I see right now is that it will require a mouse script that will make events follow where you click, or a path finding script that will make one event walk towards another event.

I've looked through the RPG Maker game list, and I did find one game that involved a construction and building type system, which is called Mayor (City).

Has anyone else tried making a game similar to this? Or are currently making a game similar to this? I have tried to, but so far, I haven't been able to find the script that will make events follow the mouse, so I'm at a standstill until I can see if one exists.

Also, what are things that you would like to see in these types of games, if you're interested in them? And what are things in these games that annoy you and you wish would be left out?

If you want to read up more on some other games in this genre, here is a list of them. ^_^

Edited by GameCreations

i like this kind of game :D.

i once want to make game like Romance of three kingdom. build stuff. get resouce from that building. gather army. attack neighbouring city.

but it will be hard to make...

in my game i use my script EST - BUILD AND DECOR SYSTEM as it's base.

but it's too much work to do and that time i'm still not too good at scripting

so i scrap the project because of the complexity. (but now GTBS released... so it can work as battle scene of RoTK maybe i will look it once more???)

I'm using your build and decor script to place the buildings and such too. :P  It's one of my favorite scripts to use for any simulation type games I try to make.

I would love to see your project up and running if you decide to go through with it. I'd be more than happy to help to if you need it. ^_^

Yes. ^_^

It's like a strategy/simulation type of game. I would love to have something like this go into development as well. I think it's make a fun addition to RPG maker games. :)

I've found Jet's Mouse Script, but it doesn't look like you can move events to locations; just the player. I've also tried looking at path finding scripts, but none of them will let you move to an event (unless I missed this feature. It's possible since I'm not the most knowledgeable with scripts). Here is the list of scripts I've found and tried, but couldn't get set up to work:

Mouse Scripts:

Basic Mouse System

Jet's Mouse Script

Super Simple Mouse System

Pathfinder Scripts:

Khas Pathfinder

Near Fantastica's Path Finder

Jet Pathfinder

JPS Pathfinding

For things that I have been able to create:

I've been able to use the BUILD and DECOR script in order to drag and drop buildings and let the player choose where they want to place their buildings. I've started a bit on using materials to make the buildings, but I stopped in order to go script hunting. :P

I am currently working on a script that manages such things as Building or Npc Stats, time progression and randomly triggered events for a Sim-City like game. it doesn't handle anything related to maps but could probably do so with a few of the other scripts mentioned in this thread. (mostly it controls underlying data manipulation needed for such games with out the need for eventing hell.)

no word on when It will be done. But I thought I would post about it here.

Anyway if all goes well It should supply the "Behind the Scenes" data control needed for that kind of game.

I will begin work on my own game once I finish the script, but I will certainly post it here as well. and will definitely check out some of the scripts mentioned in this thread for other aspects.

OH! This would be so cool! haha I think I'll just follow this topic :P
I have a game where this would be awesome to implement into (well its going to take a few years to complete the game but yea lol).
I'm thinking you would almost need the NPCs to have AI? Haven't tried looking to see if there are any AI scripts tho :P (in fact I could be sounding like a real noob suggesting that haha).
Although, I'm heavily into eventing, I don't use many scripts if I can get away with it XD (not that im not open for scripts!! lol)

This doesn't happen to be for an upcoming sims game does it? hahaha

Anyway, good luck on this endeavor, I'm sure that many of us would be very keen to have something like this :)

This doesn't happen to be for an upcoming sims game does it? hahaha

Mayyyyyyybbbbbeee. :ph34r:

I'm the same way with events, however, not having a mouse system is really annoying as a player personally. You have to drag the "mouse" with your arrow keys and I find it annoying personally since I just want to use my mouse to click on the menus. :P

I might have to request a script that at least lets a mouse system have the option for events to follow where it clicks, or request a path finding script that you can have the player or event walk to an event instead of just the X and Y position.

I should probably think about posting what I have so far in the game development section but I'm worried that I do not have enough to qualify for the post. :unsure:

If all else fails, then I might have to get rid of the construction portion similar to Banished or Rimworld, and go with plan B, but I'm determined to find all options first before giving up on that plan. :P

EDIT:

Okay, I have a bit of a storyline set up for this game, but I separated it from the Sims one (I needed to put that one on hold anyways until I finished my tilesets :P).

I decided to set it up where you play as the NPCs instead of the hero. You create the town and keep it stable. The better the village is, the more experienced the heros will be to come into the town and save the village from monsters.

What I might have to do is have each NPC be a playable character that you can switch to. That will, in theory, get rid of the mouse system and will make things a little bit easier. The main issue is how to make buildings. I want to be able to move them around on the map, but also have the players be able to go inside. I may have to use pre-made buildings and then have the building only be built when there is enough material.

Also, if you want to give me ideas on how to implement things or what to add, please feel free to. ^_^  Right now, I'm trying to think of a way to make buildings and gather resources in a way that will not annoy the player but, instead, will make it fun and even rewarding.

Edited by GameCreations

XD hahaaaa

Oh come on, arrow keys are the way to go for moving any mouse obviously hahaha, yea na I agree. (huh I just used some kiwi slang just then :P)
Yea I think To The Moon has that kind of mouse system :P

YES you must find these solutions! hahaha, well I at least think the community should ban together for this or something... that would be cool XD

Argh, the sims tilesets! haha I forgot I was going to maybe have a go at some of them haha... buuuut reaaallly busy at the moment :(:P

I think if you had the mouse system, it would also be cool to be able to take control of random NPCs as well :)

hmm if you had pre-made buildings, maybe you could move them around as a picture? Wherever the picture is placed determines where the buildings get placed... maybe as a parrallax layer so you can have multiple layers? ...I think? I'm sure I heard somewhere, that you can have multiple parallax layers? XD And then you should only need a few events placed on the building (for it to be interactive) instead of it being completely built by events or something lol.

So what's the ultimate goal these NPCs have? ....If I may ask? :P
What might be cool is if you had a system like in age of empires or settlers, where you build lumber camps, mine camps, and farms etc. to gather resources that way. (which i guess is what you're planning), but on the odd occasion there would be quests that pop up on a billboard outside the "town center" where you can choose an NPC to take on the quest to gain resources or coin. Maybe you could also build up certain NPCs stats, so some may be good at fighting, others would get good at trading, chopping, mining, farming, fishing etc.And the bigger the quests, the more NPCs you need to add to the team. Like maybe there's a job where you would have to cut down the mighty white tree of "awesome name" that's placed at the very top of the tallest mountain. They say the tree is so fierce, that only the top lumberjacks could have a chance of cutting through. The bark of the tree is as hard as rock and so you would need your top miners to break through that. And maybe at the core would be the source of it's mighty power, but to harness it you would need your mages to absorb it. During this process your team would need to be defended by all the monsters surrounding the area, and all the people wanting to gain a valuable piece of that tree. So of course you would need your soldiers as well.

With the earnings of the tree, you would have a choice of either selling parts for some insane amount or keeping parts to have as the most powerful wood in all the land. The core would sell for the most, but with the core you might be able to grow more of these kinds of trees.

...anyway, that's my blabbering for you XD

Thank you so much for the feedback! ^_^ 

This is going to be my first game I plan to publish and I want to make sure that I make it so that others will enjoy it and not just me. Do not be afraid to tell me you do not like a certain idea or that you think another option will be better. I will not get offended and there's a high chance that I will try to impliment it if I can. :P

I really like the idea of controlling NPCs. What I was thinking is maybe letting them have a set schedual (Celianna's Tailor Tales inspired this idea) when they are not playable. Then, maybe when you select or click them, you can take control over their actions and such. However, I cannot find a pathfinding script I need since the houses are being moved by the player, I cannot use the x and y paths and need it connected to the events themselves. I want to request this, but I do not know how to explain it properly since I'm a bit bad at explaining myself. 

In the mean time, I'm getting things set up. I have set up the bakery and will take any ideas on what that job can accomplish. I will also love to hear ideas of what jobs I should impliment into the town and what their use would be to help the town. ^_^

Here are some screenshots of the buildings I've made so far:

dwpBHIF.png

Typical Starting House: Uses the least amount of resources other than a hut.

BRnXQFt.png

A house you can start a family in.

I've also made a mansion which has:

Second floor

Five rooms on the second floor including the hallway

First Floor

A room set up as a dining room and a kitchen in the back

Four empty rooms including the hallway and a small area for storage or a bathroom

A bath house

The reason why this isn't pictured is because the map for it is huge. :o  I went a little overboard with the mansion, and I might even make a house bigger than that one if I get another creative streak.

The biggest problem right now that I'm seeing is the maps themselves. NPCs will be living in these homes and players will be able to place a bunch of homes with the same blueprints.

I'm using EST - Decor and Build series, so there might be a function to use the same map layout for different homes and be okay. If not, I might need to request another script as well, which I feel bad about because I don't want to sound too greedy or demanding. :unsure:

Another thing I've been toying with is going away from the RTP and thinking about maybe adding custom objects. This will include being able to do different cultures and times. I'm not too sure if anyone will be interested in that idea or not though. If so and the custom items clash too much, I might have to make my own tiles in the end, which will be a bit time consuming but rewarding. I would have to hold that off till the end though so I'm not getting too overwhelmed.

Here is a bit of a summary I thought up for the game:

We've all played the chosen one and the hero set forth to fight the evil that overcomes the land and save the villiagers and their home. Now you can see the importance of this by being the villiagers themselves.

Build up your town and protect it from monsters and invaders. Each character has a certain job to do during the span of their life. Raise children and teach them your job, or send them to school and hope to be able to educate them to find a better job. Build relationships and make friends, or destroy others relationships through rumors and create enemies.

Right now, I'm trying to think of more of a storyline for them instead of protect their home from monsters and other people, but I haven't been able to think of one just yet. There will be an aging system and a baby system where you can have children and have them grow. I'm also toying with the idea of creating a ruler job where you can set up what is illegal and what is not.

Any ideas and suggestions are highly welcomed!

Wow this is a really cool idea, I think I fully get it now lol.

...so pretty much a sims version of a typical RPG game (like back in the medieval age type stuff). Possibly the way they should have made Sims Medieval lol (if I recall, it wasn't really as awesome as what you're thinking? I hadn't played much of it though :P).

Haha that would be awesome to let an NPC become a ruler so you can decide a lot on what's illegal or not. This would determine the ruler's popularity, so if the laws were too severe or lenient, they might try to overthrow the ruler lol.

Anyway, I'll secretly PM you on my secret storyline idea (as its really secret) :D

PM Away! ^_^  In fact, if you're interested enough, I'll be more than happy to set up a team for the game since it's going to be a bit big. Only if you're interested though. :)

I haven't made a post to ask people to join yet because I wanted to get more of it up and off the ground for people.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. I had this idea since Sims 1 came around for simulations in different time periods. It'll most likely be different than Sims since I'm using RPG Maker and will have to alter things. I also like the idea of needing supplies to make the buildings and such as well. I got the aging system in place on another project, but I don't know how to show it since I don't have the tools to record RPG Maker (Fraps doesn't seem to work too well for me).

Oh cool! That would be cool having a team for this (although I'm still uber busy during these next few weeks :( )
But yes, you should totally get a team lol, and once this busyness is over, I would love to join you! :D

Right now, I'm going to get it off the ground a bit more so it actually starts to look like a game. :P

I am going to focus a bit on the life portion and job portion first since I'm not too certain how I am going to do the building system yet. I should probably start with the king/queen first. Should the castle be unfurnished like the houses? Or should it come prefurnished like the job buildings? The big reason I ask is because I plan to use the premade castle map (since I'm awful at mapping castles) and it is huge. I think it would be very time consuming for the player to furnish the castle and such with all the rooms it has. :unsure:

I'll add furnishings to it then. ^_^  Even with the mansions, I'm a bit nervous about having them unfurnished, but it'll be strange to have the houses unfurnished except for the mansions.

I'm also enjoying the aging system. I have it set where you can input the year. However, I might just have it set to year 0 since I'm still not sure how to do the era items yet. I would really love to add something where items change over the years and the older items become antiques or vintage after the years go by, but that seems like it might be a bit too complicated since it would require getting a bunch of tilesets for each era.

Oh true, that would be awesome. So how many era's you thinking? And what era are you thinking of starting in and ending? Im just thinking it wouldn't be toooo difficult, you would just be changing the important things slightly as the eras go by like the bed. The only major difference is that you would need to add more things I guess. But yea, if you were to do this, I'm sure a whole lot of awesome tilesets would have to be produced... and the community would like that too haha.

The eventing itself isn't what I'm worried about, and with a team, I could make the objects and tiles. However, I don't want my game to be really huge where it puts people off. :unsure:

What I might do is have a poll to see what people would like for their game. I really want this to not just be a game that I would love to play, but a game that others would love to play as well. I am a huge history nerd so if I had it my way, it would go from the dawn of time to year 3000. :P  Sadly, I think my game folder would explode if I did that.

EDIT:

I evented the time and aging system plus seasons in the game. I am getting distracted by the seasons event though since I keep making it snow and rain. Next up is to put the baby system in. ^_^

Edited by GameCreations