HalestormXV

So I am New to Parallaxing....

I just started trying my hand at parallax mapping. I am still struggling with some of the basics like how to add light overlays and stuff. I am a Gimp 2.8 user. Here are some of the maps I have worked on recently. Please let me know what you think.

I am most proud of this one (No the chest is not really floating in the game lol. It is tucked nicely behind the house.)

YydpGv5.png

This one I like but I just feel I could use more clutter but that is one thing I am not so good with

y4UMFX7.jpg

And this is my very first attempt at an interior lol. I find them terribly hard. Probably becasue I don't know how to do lightning and all that other good interior stuff with parallax.

K099jc0.png

Edited by HalestormXV

Right a bit of warning I'm not very good at explaining things but I'll try.

First off try Yami's overlay mapping script. As for the lighting effects when your on Gimp create different layers. The first layer should just be completely black, the next layer the map so you have a good idea where to draw, and the third layer will be your lights.Choose what color you want your light source to be and just use the airbrush tool to draw, a low opacity is best.

Delete the second layer, (the one with your map) and export to your overlay folder. The image must be JPG. so an example would be light1-1.jpg, the number after light would be your map number and the second number is the layer.

Hope I wasn't too confusing. Just keep practicing till you get the hang of it. It's one of those things that is hard at first but gets much easier when you get used to it.

(Also I would move the beds down a little. They are too far up the wall.)

THAT VILLAGE HOLY MOLLY.

dude you`re awesome on parallax background. You`re using Gimp right?

do you ever tried Photoshop? it`s a cool tool to work too.

Just a tip: try to avoid straight lines on the base of the houses, try to put some grass so it blends with the environment a little more

(as you did with the trees)

There are some cool scripts for parallax but i suggest you try out and find the one you think is more suitable for you project.

Some Paralaxes Scripts:

Yami's "Overlay Mapping"
http://www.rpgmakerv...verlay-mapping/

Modern Algebra's "Animated Parallax"
http://rmrk.net/inde...ic,44635.0.html

DasMoony's "Liquid & Parallax Script
www.rpgmakervxace.net/topic/676-dmo-liquid-parallax-script/

Moder Algebra's "Fix Picture to Map"
http://rmrk.net/inde...ic,44837.0.html

good work keep it up.

Edited by blackalchemist

@HalestormXV

1st image: It looks pretty nice. The shadowing is off though. North west house has shadows. North east house is missing some shadows to the right of the stairs. Then houses in the south don't have any shadows. Tree in the middle and in the south-west doesn't have shadows, too. If the long grass has shadows, shouldn't flowers have shadows, too?

South-east house's tiles near the door has grass graphics - I don't think they should have had that, since the ground near them is dirt.

3rd image: On first glance it looks like the chandeliers look like they're almost reaching the floor. And you should probably move the beds one tile down. And maybe move them around a little bit with more variety, currently they're all at the north wall. 

Near the west entrance, chairs are above the wall.

Bottom row of rooms - table and sofa are on the wall.

But it's a decent start, good luck!

@THEAQIB - Thanks for that. I will definitely take a look at it. I really want to learn how to master this. I consider it a skill as much as an art.

@Mirage88 - That was perfect. You explained it wonderfully. And actually I do use Yami's Overlay script so I know exactly what you are talking about in regards to the overlay folder and naming the file. So ideally the light layer is created, then your map then you airbrush over the light layer and deleted the map layer and you have your lighting map? 

@blackalchemist - Lol thanks although I hardly consider myself awesome. I just started doing this but I do appreciate the compliment and yes I have photoshop and I have tried it but I just got a better feel for mapping with Gimp. I have quite a few gimp plugins so they perform almost identical.

@Mr. Trivel - Thank you for the feedback, it is fantastic. Yes I am terrible with shadows it is a major point I have to work on with lighting. Yeah the bed really should go down one. I didn't even realize it until after I imported it. The thrid image is actually my least favorite of the whole bunch lol. 1) it is my first attempt at indoor parallaxing and 2) it is the map where I tried experimenting with screenshoting the image first then mapping over it. Normally I just map everything by hand

@all - thank you so much for the feedback. I will take everything into account and work at it and probably post some updates soon. 

@Mirage88 - That was perfect. You explained it wonderfully. And actually I do use Yami's Overlay script so I know exactly what you are talking about in regards to the overlay folder and naming the file. So ideally the light layer is created, then your map then you airbrush over the light layer and deleted the map layer and you have your lighting map? 

Pretty much. Make sure the first layer is always black otherwise your whole map in game will be really bright all over. (I've made this mistake a few times) It's super annoying having to do it all over again. The same goes to making shadow overlays too. The only difference is shadows are always white rather then coloured like the lights.

It'll just take some practice, you'll soon get the hang of it.

Halestorm, the first one looks great! The road looks a bit bland, maybe, for how large it is, but it's certainly better than I could ever do. 

Would you allow me to use those two maps for a Dungeons and Dragons campaign? :D

I don't mind if you want to use them. They are a part of my soon to be released game, but if you can make those two maps fit in your world somewhere it is fine with me.

So I beleive this can be considered a significant update. I have tried my hand at exterior lightning thanks to all of the suggestions that were posted and I have re-mastered one of my maps.

Original

YydpGv5.png

Remastered

IjmRKUG.png

I really was unsure if my light rays were to light or if they should have been longer or darker. And my shadows aren't the greatest but I think they got the job done? comments and feedback are always welcome.

• Like 1

Thank you Mirage88. I have created a new map. I have experimented with a beach layout this time. And I fooled with different color lighting. Hopefully "Video Snapshots" are allowed. I fiddled with animating water also and cant really show that in a snapshot lol. If its not allowed then I can just remove it and swap it for images.

• Like 1

Nice.

I am making one too based on GC's guide like you.

Although it isn't like yours.

• Like 1

It looks really good. ^_^  I love the beach that you made and the town is so cozy.