Sign in to follow this  
Kelesith

concept building/Leading an Army

I know what I am pretty much saying here is pretty difficult or nigh impossible to do,  and if it has been done, I have found not hide nor hair of any evidence to support that.

This idea is interesting to me but may already be doomed to fail.  but hey can't hurt to discuss it, can it?

I know about the final fantasy tactics like system and the shining force combat system as well, and I know there is one for RPG Maker VX Ace  but I am not talking about that system, nor could I afford that at this moment.

I am talking about building a legitimate army, from the ground up until the end of the game.  even if it is just a story element and they only really come into play in cutscenes.

would it be doable?  Have the main story and build the army as a secondary/main plot device on the way to victory?

I would say why having an army is relevant but It would probably spoil the possible story of the game I am going to make.

Thoughts? Ideas of your own on this?  any and all feedback and criticism is appreciated!

Long, long ago, there was a whole series of games made with RPG Maker 2000 called Legion Saga.  They were direct knock-offs of Konami's Suikoden series, and included scaled down versions of most of that franchise's key features; which included building an army, maintaining and expanding headquarters, and large scale military conflicts in addition to the standard RPG battle system.

So, yeah, it's possible and has been done.  Anything that could be done with RM2K can certainly be done, and done better, with Ace, provided you're willing to put forth the effort.  Track down the Legion Saga games if you can.  Despite the utter lack of originality, they're some of the better made early RPG Maker games.

Edited by Milton Monday

I've never even heard of the legion saga, much less the suikoden series,  will have to check those out.

I am pretty new to RPG maker in general so with this concept I am trying out I am probably biting off way more than I can chew, by like leagues.  probably make trying it out a pet project.  before I put it forward as the main one.

I originally thought about the army aspect because armies are cool, war is cool, plus it's an interesting setting when done right.

Another interesting idea if you wanted an 'Army' that would be much more within reach is something like Heroes of Might and Magic. Or something a bit like Yggdra Union if I remember it right.

Instead of HP, you have a 'size of force' for each unit type representing how many units occupy that person. Each one is lead by a commander or a figurehead leader that represents it on the battlefield. So a single actor could represent or command 1000 soldiers, and attacks with all of them. It would be easy to make a custom damage formula that factors in the size of the force and increase attack or special abilities based on how many units you have.

If you wanted an army as your game's main characters, I think it would be wiser to represent them as a small group of actors representing the entirety of the force then coming up with unique actors for a huge party.

Just my thought. Good luck with the idea.

some tricks... but might need custom equip script...

you could make actor that represent army general..

that only have 100 hp (no matter what lv it is / can differ each general).

then you could make equipment that ACT as subordinate / whatever below the rank...

equipinging it give you 100 hp (or can differ based on the subordinate hp. AND GIVE SKILL / trait)

so:

General Estriole (Actor): Hp = 100, Atk 10, Def 10,

Advisor: Linda (equipment) : def+20, atk+30, add_skill: Regroup

Vice - General: Raplh (equipment) : hp+100. def+10, atk+10, add_skill: bash

Leutnant : Terence (equipment) : Hp + 50. def +10, add_skill: Shine

Leutnant : Eric (equipment) : Hp + 50. because he's a berseker... def - 10 atk + 20. add skill: frenzy (increase troops atk. reduce troops def).

total : Troops (HP) = 300, Atk: 70, Def: 40, skill: regroup, bash, shine, frenzy... :D

you could also set. certain general (Actor) can only equip certain equipment (so special unit for that general only. or only bow general can equip bow unit).

then if using equipment script. you could make the general (actor). unlock equipment slot... to show growth of the general.

you could also give general (actor) special skill that learned as he level. and maybe the status can increased too. depend on your setting.

and if you're using equipment level up script. you could make the 'unit' growth too

Edited by estriole

Blindga  Estriole,  you two have amazing ideas.  I dunno how I would do those ideas but I have ideas,  I really want to do one of them,  So far I only really have experience in creating areas, and basic scripts.  that Venthros on Youtube Taught me (shameless plug. I know.)

I haven't really tried manipulating the stats on anything,  well I have, but not much and not to any decent effect.  (I either have a cakewalk fight or I get two shot, need to work on it)

I don't know how to change the name of the HP Stamina/Magic bars,  I don't know how to make new skills and make them decent nor equipment for that matter.  I don't make my own artwork battlers sprites and tilesets, and I am only now trying to make my own music. (probably will fail gloriously.)

and except for some custom scripts, I am pretty much running Vanilla in all regards.  and none of those scripts help me with this I don't think anyway.  and I am no coder.

I am thinking for the player army a party of 3 or 2 probably 3  the actors being the generals, their equipment's  being their command chain (subordinates)

Would be the same for the enemy.  the more battlers on screen, the bigger the army you are facing.

I am thinking of making the items in a Logistics kind of structure.

naming them after stuff you would find on battlefields and so on.

Guys got any ideas that would help improve this? any other thoughts?

Blindga  Estriole,  you two have amazing ideas.  I dunno how I would do those ideas but I have ideas,  I really want to do one of them,  So far I only really have experience in creating areas, and basic scripts.  that Venthros on Youtube Taught me (shameless plug. I know.)

I haven't really tried manipulating the stats on anything,  well I have, but not much and not to any decent effect.  (I either have a cakewalk fight or I get two shot, need to work on it)

I don't know how to change the name of the HP Stamina/Magic bars,  I don't know how to make new skills and make them decent nor equipment for that matter.  I don't make my own artwork battlers sprites and tilesets, and I am only now trying to make my own music. (probably will fail gloriously.)

and except for some custom scripts, I am pretty much running Vanilla in all regards.  and none of those scripts help me with this I don't think anyway.  and I am no coder.

I am thinking for the player army a party of 3 or 2 probably 3  the actors being the generals, their equipment's  being their command chain (subordinates)

Would be the same for the enemy.  the more battlers on screen, the bigger the army you are facing.

I am thinking of making the items in a Logistics kind of structure.

naming them after stuff you would find on battlefields and so on.

Guys got any ideas that would help improve this? any other thoughts?

It sounds like you've got quite a bit to learn then! Don't let 'I don't know' stop you from trying now!

Everything I suggested (renaming stats) can be done in the database. As for balancing, it's something that just takes some practice. You can read up on some game theory for that if you want, but ultimately it's going to take experience through doing to get the best results.

It sounds like you've at least got some way to go about starting this. Just keep going with the ideas you have and cross your bridges one by one. You'll get there.

It sounds like you've got quite a bit to learn then! Don't let 'I don't know' stop you from trying now!

Ha! hasn't stopped me yet!

the learnings slow but the gears are moving!

Though, I should probably find a new battle system than the one that comes straight with ace.  the front view battle system with static battlers, cool as they may look, probably won't cut it with this undertaking.